Reinstalling auxillary belt on 2007 Citroen Berlingo 1.4 Petrol.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Reinstalling auxillary belt on 2007 Citroen Berlingo 1.4 Petrol.

I have had my 2007 Citroen Berlingo with 1.4 L petrol motor pulled apart for a few weeks in the process of replacing the head gasket, timing belt and tensioner, water pump etc. When I removed the auxillary belt I did so quickly not taking any notice of the way the belt was installed. However, today I tried to refit the belt and found that the belt was way too short. It appears that I have not routed the belt correctly. I have searched high and low on the internet and in my electronic manuals for a diagram of the installation path without success.

Advertisement

I have attached a hand diagram showing how I have routed the belt. The tensioner is compressed and pinned to take tension off the belt. The jockey wheel is fixed and is not adjustable like some of the earlier models. The belt is exactly the same as the one I took off.

Can any member kindly suggest where I have gone wrong in trying to install the belt.

Reinstalling auxillary belt on 2007 Citroen Berlingo 1.4 Petrol.-one.jpg

Default Perhaps this is the right route for the drive belt.

I changed the route of the belt and the belt now seems to fit nicely and tensions well.

I have attached a rough drawing to show the route of the belt.

I am amazed that this is not shown in the Haynes Manual and all they say is "Make sure the belt is routed correctly"

If any member could verify that the belt is now correctly installed I would appreciate it. Thanks

Reinstalling auxillary belt on 2007 Citroen Berlingo 1.4 Petrol.-one.jpg

Thanks Big Frog for your response.

The diagram you pointed to for a vehicle with air conditioning shows a route with the belt firmly wrapping around each pulley.

This seemed logical to me however the belt is way too short to achieve this.

The belt fits the way I have it installed it but the amount of contact between the alternator pulley and belt seems to be barely adequate.

I wish I had paid more attention to the belt's route before I removed it. I am going to see if I can find the same model Berlingo to have a look to see how the belt is routed.

Fellow Frogger

You want the Citroen mechanics handbook issued by Citroen with data and technical info, but not detailed repair procedures.

Edit - better link is here: CARNETS DE POCHE

Thanks David S for the link. Unfortunately there is no information on models beyond 2005. However, I did find the diagram below for a Citroen Xsara Picasso which has the same routing as the 2007 Berlingo appears to have. Note that the belt contact with the alternator pulley is only ninety degrees and this is what I was worried about. I have now come to the conclusion I have nothing to worry about.

Reinstalling auxillary belt on 2007 Citroen Berlingo 1.4 Petrol.-looks-good.png

1000+ Posts

Up to 2008 if you use the French version. CARNETS DE POCHE

1000+ Posts

From a French Berlingo manual Reinstalling auxillary belt on 2007 Citroen Berlingo 1.4 Petrol.-belt.jpg

Thanks Seasink for the confirmation .

I hope this post helps others as I was unable to find this information.

Fellow Frogger

Peter Russek also offers manuals on some Citroen models, including some of the Berlingo range.
    Citroen vehicle manuals
    They generally lack the large number of pictures in the Haynes manuals, but are stronger on technical information and in a size you can easily leave in the vehicle. Not all models on offer in Europe made it to our market, so some manuals just have no application here.

Thread Information