Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gilberthenry
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast
  • 1 Post By gilberthenry
  • 1 Post By gilberthenry

Thread: Greasing points on '67 DS

Fellow Frogger!

Default Greasing points on '67 DS

After bringing the car down from QLD I,ve given it an oil filter and oil change. The right hand boot is completely split so I 'll do that tomorrow.
    On the right side there are 8 grease points. On the left side there are NONE on the bar that does the steering at each end. It seems odd that there is one at each end on the right but none on the left. There is LHM dripping from the base of the regulator sphere so I'm hoping that it won't be too complicated. I have a re-gassed spare one. I think on the '67 models I remember Lance at DS Motors cursing a bit as I think on this model they are hard to remove. Tomorrow is another day. We're supposed to be taking this car to Peter Boyle's "garage crawl" on Saturday and then onto Mortlake that night for a Mortlake car show on the Sunday.

We've just registered this car in Victoria GUE-090. This was the rego of Mum's new Renault 4CV when we came to Victoria from Holland in 1957 - - good fun.

Advertisement

Thanks, John

The pic below is at Clunes about 2 Sundays ago. The 2 1/2 Riley behind was very nice. We were just about to leave so the paddock was a lot emptier than before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greasing points on '67 DS-20170312_141954_resized.jpg  
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 21st March 2017 at 10:05 AM.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Original tie rods for late model DS did not have any grease fittings, many of the aftermarket replacements did.

It is possible to remove sphere from below the car without removing the regulator from the engine block. You will need an oil filter strap wrench that can be operated from parallel to the axis of the threads (i.e. with a long socket wrench extension). You may need to lift the engine slightly for room to get it out from between the oil pan/frame.
    Greg likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 67DS21 BVH; 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Original tie rods for late model DS did not have any grease fittings, many of the aftermarket replacements did.

It is possible to remove sphere from below the car without removing the regulator from the engine block. You will need an oil filter strap wrench that can be operated from parallel to the axis of the threads (i.e. with a long socket wrench extension). You may need to lift the engine slightly for room to get it out from between the oil pan/frame.
    Thanks for that tip. Lifting the engine that tiny bit might give the centimetre or so extra room to get it out. Interesting that the originals had no grease points. For a while there I thought I was going a bit balmy when not finding grease nipples or holes where they should be.

John

Hi Guys

citroenthusiast is right about lifting the engine a little. The R/H engine mount collapses first from the heat from the exhaust, and tilts the engine making the removal of the accumulator sphere more difficult.

best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hi Guys

citroenthusiast is right about lifting the engine a little. The R/H engine mount collapses first from the heat from the exhaust, and tilts the engine making the removal of the accumulator sphere more difficult.

best regards,

Greg
    Yes I dread to look. Since starting this project about 18 years ago of putting all these '67 Pallas bits on the ID19B shell I still have things to do. I'm painting the inner covers today that cover the front hydraulics and odd grease points in the front. This will be another job done. I've never changed boots before but the job went okay. Because I had a new radiator core done ages ago the car tootled down the Newell quite happily even though it was hot, now about 4-5 weeks ago.
    We do really have too many cars but when not having a modern car we have to stay on the safe side. It's all ridiculous of course but one doesn't need to take life all that seriously. Robert Cox at Maldon garage says you can't have too many cars. I tend to agree with him. When I said that maybe the wife might not always see it that way he simply said - - you just go out and get another one. I'm just lucky that Janet is just about as silly as me.

This tip of lifting the engine a bit is the sort of tip that could stop one from doing something very silly.

John
    gsowner84 likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

There is a pretty good cars and coffee in Ballarat most months if you would like to give the cars a run. There is often old pommy cars, there is usually some old Peugeots there too.

Ballarat Cars n Coffee - Ballarat Cars n Coffee

The cars and coffee idea is brilliant due to the huge range of cars that will turn up. hot rods, rat rods, muscle cars, lightly updated classic cars, perfect original unmodified classic cars from pretty much any and every manufacturer. I sadly hardly ever get to them. Who wants to get up at 7:00am sunday morning. If they made it 10:30 -> 12:00 it would be so huge it would fill all the carparks on offer.

If the car has a later single piece accumulator fitted, you will need to remove the regulator to get it out (at least that is what I've found on the models of D's I've worked on). See if it's wet "above" the accumulator before you remove it. You might have a leak running down over the regulator and dripping from the accumulator.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

A squeeze with the welded accumulators, but certainly not impossible from below on a hoist. It would be a horrible job lying on your back! Obviously for LHM only, the factory regas plug for the welded accumulators will foul the crossmember, so that's not an option, even with good engine mounts.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    There is a pretty good cars and coffee in Ballarat most months if you would like to give the cars a run. There is often old pommy cars, there is usually some old Peugeots there too.

Ballarat Cars n Coffee - Ballarat Cars n Coffee

The cars and coffee idea is brilliant due to the huge range of cars that will turn up. hot rods, rat rods, muscle cars, lightly updated classic cars, perfect original unmodified classic cars from pretty much any and every manufacturer. I sadly hardly ever get to them. Who wants to get up at 7:00am sunday morning. If they made it 10:30 -> 12:00 it would be so huge it would fill all the carparks on offer.

If the car has a later single piece accumulator fitted, you will need to remove the regulator to get it out (at least that is what I've found on the models of D's I've worked on). See if it's wet "above" the accumulator before you remove it. You might have a leak running down over the regulator and dripping from the accumulator.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    i'VE BEEN LUCKY. aFTER FITTING THE INNER SHIELDS I started the motor and the water hose going to the carbi manifold was leaking as the hose clamp had rusted - - - great!!!

I've been wondering how the Ballarat cars & coffee has been going as I'll get there one day. The Daylesford one went well for a year or so but hit the dust when it all got too big and politically complicated.

Regards, John

Fellow Frogger!

Last Friday I thought I was in luck that it was the radiator fluid that was leaking above the regulator. At the 11th hour I rang Michael if we could do our distance jaunt in his 1960 ID. It turned out that the regulator was leaking LHM. I haven’t pulled the sphere or regulator out yet - - on the 1967 DS. I’m wandering what it might be. There is LHM at the very top where the bolt is above the regulator.
    In the meantime I am replacing the cracked exhaust manifold on the light 15 so always something to do.

It turned out a great 2 days last weekend. In the morning we travelled to CCOCA member Peter Boyle’s place for a “workshop crawl”. He is a very knowledgable man and the tips on traction repairs were valuable indeed. He owns two Vintage B2 Citroens which he showed. With my growing interest in Vintage motoring this was very good indeed. John F who is on this site at times was there also so it was fun to put a face to a man whom we are lucky to have around.
    From Melbourne we scooted off to Mortlake where we stayed the Saturday night. Dinner at the pub was very nice and “The Stables” was a comfortable place to stay. In the morning we headed for a small lake where there was to be a car event. Roy with Citroens from Warrnanbool had told of this coming event so we pledged to come. Thinking that there would be a few hillbillies in a paddock with some old cars we were happily surprised at the scale of this wonderful country event. A very good array of cars from Veteran to later. A 1914 or so Sunbeam looked great next to a Fiat of similar vintage. Michael’s 1960 French ID drew a good crowd and there was even the 1961 ID from Ballarat way - - - - A great day. I haven’t been in a long stroke ID for some time over any distance and was reminded how great these cars are with there long legged 4th gear. I can see why they were so much liked by doctors and so-on in country Australia.
    So back home I look forward to many more such runs.

John

PS - As is usually the case we were just about the last to leave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greasing points on '67 DS-20170326_110644_resized.jpg   Greasing points on '67 DS-20170325_105312_resized.jpg   Greasing points on '67 DS-20170325_105644_resized.jpg   Greasing points on '67 DS-20170326_083551_resized.jpg   Greasing points on '67 DS-20170326_110911_resized.jpg  
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 31st March 2017 at 03:03 PM.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Thread Information