• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: 1960 ID 19 Wheel Rims

Tadpole

Default 1960 ID 19 Wheel Rims

Hi again All,

Not sure how to find out the correct or original rims for my model. I got my rims back from the sand blaster today and noticed that one rim is plain and 120mm across the well base and the other 3 are tapered on the inside of the rim and 130 mm across the well base. Again, all advice to get our Citroen on the road greatly appreciated.

Also, I am keen to find a source/s to find spare parts. Hens teeth? thank you again, Dave.

Advertisement

Hi,

This the best site to sort out your rims......there were a number of small changes, depending on the model year?

les modeles de jantes des CitroŽn DS et ID

There should be plenty of suppliers of used parts here in Australia.

Best regards,

Greg
    GreenBlood likes this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

It's obviously possible to fit full-sized or part-sized hubcaps to suit personal preference, but it presumably began life with half-sized hubcaps. If you want to fit full-sized hubcaps, then the lugs and holes are probably not important. Which type do you have three of already?

I gather Greg's link is for French built cars and the situation may not necessarily be the same for any Slough or Heidelberg cars. Is the ID in question a French car or a Heidelberg car? Being regarded as 1960, I presume it's French.

You might look at the thread on the recent Melbourne 'Garage Sale' in Parts as there were many ID parts on offer there that had been stored indoors for many years and the vendor, Xaphan, would have a good idea where they ended up.

p.s. You might also want to see if your car is on the early ID/DS list. See:
    Longstroke ds/id census
    Worth a read through.
    Last edited by David S; 15th March 2017 at 06:00 PM.

I quickly read the title as, "1960 ID 19" Wheel Rims." Blinging up an early Citroen?
    Custom set of Boyd Coddington's would really make a statement!
    Brendan.

David,

The early DS rim >65 was far too complicated for Slough to produce there own rim, and the link I supplied is far better than anything your offering.

I really doubt there was much difference in our cars, but my link offers at least a comprehensive list of the changes made at the Citroen factory.

As you were neither around at the time of these cars, or have any experience with them, I think you comments are completely irrelevant

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

I wasn't offering an alternative definitive reference. However, Julian Marsh's website has many period images. Slough IDs apparently wore full-sized hubcaps from new and here are some relevant period publicity images selected from many more to be found there (Safari is the next page with similar kit):
    The English CitroŽn ID 19
    So, under those hubcaps, if they followed the French, we'd presumably see rims with holes or lugs that do nothing on an ID and then plain rims on a DS19. Or did they just fit the same rims to everything at Slough? Which was the point of the query, rather than a statement of fact, in my previous post.

Hi David,

The post was about rims, not hubcaps. You don't ever stick to the subject. Re read the initial post!

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    We Had:

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I wasn't offering an alternative definitive reference. However, Julian Marsh's website has many period images. Slough IDs apparently wore full-sized hubcaps from new and here are some relevant period publicity images selected from many more to be found there (Safari is the next page with similar kit):
    The English CitroŽn ID 19
    So, under those hubcaps, if they followed the French, we'd presumably see rims with holes or lugs that do nothing on an ID and then plain rims on a DS19. Or did they just fit the same rims to everything at Slough? Which was the point of the query, rather than a statement of fact, in my previous post.
    I would probably guess that the DS style hexagonal fix wheel would have been shipped over to the UK in bulk and as the ID and DS had full covering hub caps they were probably minus the three studs to retain the small hub cap common to French built IDs. God knows what they did at the Heidelberg Factory. The probably used whatever they were sent!
    It is however interesting to see the variety of types used four slots, no slots ,plain centres, holed and no studs, studded. For the life of me I cannot remember what was on my 64/5 DS 19M Pallas. Maybe Tim Cotterell still has its original wheels?
    Shane your Heidelberg car is fairly unmolested! What rims are on it?
    Cheers Gerry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Shane your Heidelberg car is fairly unmolested! What rims are on it?
    I will need to have a look. I moved them to a different car as I had other wheels with good tires on them. Wheels are very easily changed around, but it's worth a try ( who knows how many tires/wheels it has had in it's 55 year lifespans ... trying to keep it on the road with those very expensive michelin X tires).

Cars assembled in Australia should have the standard french wheels for there period. I know I have wheels with holes and "lumps" to attach the hubcaps.... and a couple of wheels with no holes or lumps ( I assume they are from a DS19 with big hubcaps).

seeya,
    shane L.
    Greg likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Envy View Post
    Hi again All,

Not sure how to find out the correct or original rims for my model. I got my rims back from the sand blaster today and noticed that one rim is plain and 120mm across the well base and the other 3 are tapered on the inside of the rim and 130 mm across the well base. Again, all advice to get our Citroen on the road greatly appreciated.

Also, I am keen to find a source/s to find spare parts. Hens teeth? thank you again, Dave.

What kind of parts are you after?

Thread Information