Big 6 closer to smooth running. - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Big 6 closer to smooth running.

Fellow Frogger!

MLP Carburettors, 1/7 Lakeside Ave, Reservoir (03 9462 2288) was able to make up a service kit for my Solex 30PAAI at a most reasonable price. I believe early Jaguars used the same carby.
    Cheers.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by AllenM View Post
    MLP Carburettors, 1/7 Lakeside Ave, Reservoir (03 9462 2288) was able to make up a service kit for my Solex 30PAAI at a most reasonable price. I believe early Jaguars used the same carby.
    Cheers.
    And some Mercedes, I think 220 from the late fifties
    Cheers Gerry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've always had good sucess with just cleaning out old carbies ... so long as the accelerator pump diaphrams are ok .. it'll still work fine when refitted once cleaned (without a gasket kit). Carby gaskets don't usually break when you dismantle them.

So your saying, you haven't pulled the carby down and blown through every orifice and jet .... and haven't replaced the dizzie cap, pionts, condenser, leads and plugs ??? If you haven't done these very simple basic "normal maintenance" tasks, you will be forever chasing your tail in circles as it's probably a combination of issues with all of the above that is causing it to run poorly. ie: changing any "one thing" is unlikely to fix it IMO.

You need to get the basics at a known "good point" before you waste hours going around in circles. This motor is no more difficult than a grey fergi or old holden engine. It's a very simple wet liner pushrod engine ... just like a fergi.

If your TE20 wasn't running we'd be giving the same advice "clean the carby, check the fuel system, replace the ignition components".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Cheers.
    Thanks Allen,
    I rang "Mick" and he says he has "some " parts and said he was willing to have a look at the carbi if I get it to him. I will send it registered post and we'll see how we go. The possibility is still there about the fact of there being extractors meaning the carbi doesn't warm up. Some time ago I took the fibre spacer out between the carbi and the intake manifold to get more warmth. I am looking for about a 1/2" aluminium block the size of the carbi base through which a friend could drill holes for hot water to run through. Otherwise I will have to purchase a Big 6 exhaust manifold.

I think we are inching forward to a solution.

Just in passing, our Big 15, not this Big 6 is now running on Victorian rego GTF-973. This is the rego number that was on Dad's 1957 Chev Belaire that he imported new, R/H drive from Europe when we came to Australia in '57. Seeing the Big 15 is 1956 it is quite appropriate.

So thanks again everyone, John

John.
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 20th March 2017 at 12:44 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Attached are two photos of a 20mm alloy spacer block I made up with a vacume pick-up for a brake booster. I ended up not using it because looked like rubbing on the bonnet. I ended up using a bakelite block I made instead that was only 12mm thick. The point being they are not hard to make using the right size hole saw.
    Cheers

Big 6 closer to smooth running.-img_0237.jpgBig 6 closer to smooth running.-img_0236.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Attached are two photos of a 20mm alloy spacer block I made up with a vacume pick-up for a brake booster. I ended up not using it because looked like rubbing on the bonnet. I ended up using a bakelite block I made instead that was only 12mm thick. The point being they are not hard to make using the right size hole saw.
    Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	94705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	94706
    Hello Allen,
    I'm looking at your pics and wondering why your brake booster wasn't taken off one of the connections coming off the intake manifold. My brake booster, which I've been wondering whether it is necessary comes off one of these and the other is blocked off.

ALSO I AM BITING THE BULLET and removing the extractors.
    Could you advise me on where to obtain the better made exhaust manifold which is the dearer one. You have told me before but I am now serious. Also, I thought I could order new studs and bolts and new inlet exhaust manifolds gasket. Also maybe a new heat shield as this one is all asbestos backed. - - - and then I need an exhaust down pipe and maybe the 10" or so flexible exhaust joint. The carbi gets sent today.

Thanks, John.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    Hello Allen,
    I'm looking at your pics and wondering why your brake booster wasn't taken off one of the connections coming off the intake manifold. My brake booster, which I've been wondering whether it is necessary comes off one of these and the other is blocked off.

ALSO I AM BITING THE BULLET and removing the extractors.
    Could you advise me on where to obtain the better made exhaust manifold which is the dearer one. You have told me before but I am now serious. Also, I thought I could order new studs and bolts and new inlet exhaust manifolds gasket. Also maybe a new heat shield as this one is all asbestos backed. - - - and then I need an exhaust down pipe and maybe the 10" or so flexible exhaust joint. The carbi gets sent today.

Thanks, John.
    Oh ... A big 6 has a brake booster ....... Have you tried capping this (ie: unplug the hose to it, and block the hose with something). If you have a ruptured diaphragm in that, it would certainly give you enormous running issues!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

No! A six does not normally have a brake booster. It would have to be fitted as a modification!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

A Big 6 does not come with a brake booster, unfortunately, but fitting one is possibly the best modification you can make to the car, the greatest difficulty, if you want to retain the original heater tube, if finding somewhere to mount it.

John the manifold I purchased was from Classic Automobile Service and the Article Code was 456512 (the B quality, the one to be avoided, bears the same number but finishes with an A). It has been problem free so far. I intended to fit the vacuum pick up as you suggested but when you look at that part of the inlet manifold it only draws from 3 cylinders and it has a very small orifice that would have to be drilled out. I didn't want to do something that could not be reversed. I also believe that the idea of a fuel drain in case of flooding is a good idea.

Fellow Frogger!

A Big 6 does not come with a brake booster, unfortunately, but fitting one is possibly the best modification you can make to the car, the greatest difficulty, if you want to retain the original heater tube, if finding somewhere to mount it.

John the manifold I purchased was from Classic Automobile Service and the Article Code was 456512 (the B quality, the one to be avoided, bears the same number but finishes with an A). It has been problem free so far. I intended to fit the vacuum pick up as you suggested but when you look at that part of the inlet manifold it only draws from 3 cylinders and it has a very small orifice that would have to be drilled out. I didn't want to do something that could not be reversed. I also believe that the idea of a fuel drain in case of flooding is a good idea.
    Okay, so the number is - - 456512 B fom Classic Automobile Service. I assume it is in Europe. I'll look it up.

Thanks, John

Fellow Frogger!

The net address is Classic Automobile Service - Webshop These people used to be CTA and it would appear that they sold to De Graff who carry on as CTA. After a reasonable period of time the original people re-established at the original address as CAS. Obliging and easy to deal with.
    The part No. of what you want is 456512. Avoid the A and there is no B.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information