• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By Frog Envy

Thread: 1960 Citroen ID 19 Steering Rack

Tadpole

Default 1960 Citroen ID 19 Steering Rack

Hello to All,

I am in the process of replacing the rubber dust covers on the steering rack of my 1960 ID 19. Everything was going well up to trying to remove the ball pin from the rack. I just cannot seem to work out how to separate the pin from the shaft to be able to remove it. I think it is pressed on and I might need to apply some heat? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Envy View Post
    Hello to All,

I am in the process of replacing the rubber dust covers on the steering rack of my 1960 ID 19. Everything was going well up to trying to remove the ball pin from the rack. I just cannot seem to work out how to separate the pin from the shaft to be able to remove it. I think it is pressed on and I might need to apply some heat? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Have a look at this thread, it may save you some grief. . .
    DS Steering rack boots - fitting

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

With an ID non powered rack you can remove the steering pinion in order to stretch the new rubber around the pinion housing. In this way the rubber can be fitted from each end of the rack tube with out having to remove the central ball pin.
    Just refit the steering pinion after the rubbers are on. When removing the pinion shaft make sure that you mark the position of the index spline of the shaft against the pinion housing of the rack and mark the position of the ball pin against the rack tube so that everything goes back together as it was originally!
    GreenBlood and Greg like this.
    Cheers Gerry

Tadpole

Thank you both, Chris and Gerry. Great advice.
    gerrypro likes this.

Thread Information