DS Rear trailing arm
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default DS Rear trailing arm

Removed the trailing arm from my D Spec yesterday, the main reason was to repair the Bump Stop holder and fit new rubbers etc. At the same time I reinforced the rear of the holders with weld to minimise any future deformation.That being done I decided that now was a good time to clean and regrease the Pivot Bearings which are tapered rollers. I noticed at this point that I was unable to rotate the Pivot Bearings by hand. This job requires a 38mm deep socket! The final procedure is to tighten the nut as specified in the manual, that involves tightening to 85 nm and slackening by 60deg.I could now rotate the pivot by hand!!.On close inspection I noticed that the nut was undone by 60deg from its original position.Conclusion did the factory get it wrong or is the book wrong,maybe its not that simple.
    Woody

Advertisement

someone else had a go at? Factory? You might well never know Brian! at least you've sorted it, the scary bit is the outer races that wear atrociously in specific load points and there is no real fix as they are a single unit. When I dismantled mine I decided to hunt down a better set, left and right. And swapped the hub bearings to timkens bearings.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 10th March 2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo

When I opened those pivot bearings I always found them rs through lack of lubrication and I changed them every time. I torqued them up to 85nm and if they rotated freely, left them at it. If not I backed off the nut until they were just right. The CX is much the same.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your comments,I definitely had to back them off 60deg (as per manual) otherwise they were far too tight (As they were originally) Now,having done both sides the rear susp no longer has any hysteresis and always returns to the same spot after it is deflected.(Just check if your car does that!)
    Woody

Thread Information