• 2 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 2 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By flipperman

Thread: Psa buys vauxhall & opel for 1.9 million pound

Default Psa buys vauxhall & opel for 1.9 billion pound

Hi Guys,

Advertisement

GM's Opel and Vauxhall brands have been sold to PSA Peugeot Citroen in a £1.9 billion deal. Here's everything you need to know.

PSA Vauxhall/Opel takeover: the General Motors deal and what it means | Auto Express

Best regards,

Greg
    Last edited by Greg; 9th March 2017 at 11:21 AM.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

£1.9 billion sitting around, wonder if we pay to much for a new car. um?? That kind of cash in the bank is thanks to the mighty BX saving the day .. no wait the mighty XM sucked all that dry. My god that means the sewing machine Xsara cashed them up again couldn't have been any of them Pug things.
    shanadoo and jaahn like this.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ -V6.
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix"

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz

Quote Originally Posted by flipperman View Post
    £1.9 billion sitting around, wonder if we pay to much for a new car. um?? That kind of cash in the bank is thanks to the mighty BX saving the day .. no wait the mighty XM sucked all that dry. My god that means the sewing machine Xsara cashed them up again couldn't have been any of them Pug things.
    I'd suspect the purchase is all about removing opposition and "clearing" the market to allow PSA further penetration.

I can't see Opel has any special engineering capabilities or technology PSA doesn't already have.
    shanadoo likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

I.9 mil pounds. Wonder why so cheap. Rough convert $3.5mil, damn we can't even buy a half decent shack for that.

BMW bought Rover group for £1, that was over 20 years ago now - so maybe $6 in today's money :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jaahn likes this.
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)

1000+ Posts

Default Rubbish cars !!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I'd suspect the purchase is all about removing opposition and "clearing" the market to allow PSA further penetration.
    I can't see Opel has any special engineering capabilities or technology PSA doesn't already have.
    Hi
    I previously worked at the Uni here in my last working years If you want to know what are the cheap and nasty cars, then look at what the trade sold off to unsuspecting punters. So you could look at what the overseas students got. Then they come and asked about the problems as they came ?? Vauxhalls and Opels would be high on that list IMHO. In previous years they certainly made some shit and good old Holden kept flogging them under ever new names to disguise the last identity.
    They might pickup some good traits from the "unreliable French cars" if they are lucky!!
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

£1.9 miliion or billion?

VIP Sponsor

Our 17 year old Astra has been a great car. Still has original untouched, engine, auto, suspension, exhaust, starter motor, alternator etc. Far more reliable than the 505 it replaced.
    In fact all of my FWD cars (405,205) have been much more reliable then the RWD Peugeots

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    I previously worked at the Uni here in my last working years If you want to know what are the cheap and nasty cars, then look at what the trade sold off to unsuspecting punters. So you could look at what the overseas students got. Then they come and asked about the problems as they came ?? Vauxhalls and Opels would be high on that list IMHO. In previous years they certainly made some shit and good old Holden kept flogging them under ever new names to disguise the last identity.
    They might pickup some good traits from the "unreliable French cars" if they are lucky!!
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Our 17 year old Astra has been a great car. Still has original untouched, engine, auto, suspension, exhaust, starter motor, alternator etc. Far more reliable than the 505 it replaced.
    In fact all of my FWD cars (405,205) have been much more reliable then the RWD Peugeots

I'll second that, our 12 year old Astra (4th Gen or 'TS' in GMspeak) was bought to replace our (16yr) Pug 206. Done from 125K kM to 165K now & only unscheduled repair has been front suspension bushes. Best of all (so far) it's free of the constant electrical niggles that plagued the Pug, along with the passenger footwell filling with water every time it rained hard.

Baldrick,

1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    In previous years they certainly made some shit and good old Holden kept flogging them under ever new names to disguise the last identity.
    Such as? The only re-named Opel I can come up with is the Corsa, which was rebadged as a Barina for quite some time (after the Suzuki Swift era), till it succumbed to Daewoo heritage. Of course the Camira was a "world car" like the Vauxhall Cavalier. It was even a Pontiac Sunbird.

The original Commodore (or is that the Vauxhall Viceroy?), the Astra (when not a Nissan Pulsar), the Calibre and Vectra were pure-enough Opels and not renamed. They've even started selling the Insignia from 2015, although I'm not sure if it's still for sale. I've certainly never seen one on the road.

I hope you're not thinking of the Viva, which is a GM name, but has very Korean parentage. About as awful as the Epica and Cruze.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

An announcement in todays "West Australian" states that Holden plans to source the new model Commodore from Europe which will be a rebadged Opal Insignia. It is GMH's option to call these imported vehicles what they like and to me they can call it an Opal - Vauxhall - Daewoo or Chevrolet for that matter but please don't call it a "Holden". General Motors bought the Holden Body Works to build their cars in Australia and I find it an insult to put this name on imported items which is now not even a General Motors product.

Have had GMH in the past but no more.
    shanadoo likes this.

Holden have in the past built bodies for vintage rear wheel drive Citroens. I went to see an old C6G and was surprised to see the Holden name plate on the body work! So maybe the wheel has come full circle?
    baldrick56 and jaahn like this.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    I.9 mil pounds. Wonder why so cheap. Rough convert $3.5mil, damn we can't even buy a half decent shack for that.
    Try again: "GM's Opel and Vauxhall brands have been sold to PSA Peugeot Citroen in a £1.9 billion deal."

JohnW likes this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Such as? The only re-named Opel I can come up with is the Corsa, which was rebadged as a Barina for quite some time (after the Suzuki Swift era), till it succumbed to Daewoo heritage. Of course the Camira was a "world car" like the Vauxhall Cavalier. It was even a Pontiac Sunbird.

The original Commodore (or is that the Vauxhall Viceroy?), the Astra (when not a Nissan Pulsar), the Calibre and Vectra were pure-enough Opels and not renamed. They've even started selling the Insignia from 2015, although I'm not sure if it's still for sale. I've certainly never seen one on the road.

I hope you're not thinking of the Viva, which is a GM name, but has very Korean parentage. About as awful as the Epica and Cruze.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Viva
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick56 View Post
    BMW bought Rover group for £1, that was over 20 years ago now - so maybe $6 in today's money :-)

That went well. They lost at least a billion, and the chairman of BMW lost his job, if I recall correctly. It took TATA to make it profitable!!
    jaahn and baldrick56 like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Very sad case......

Perhaps this can merged with the main thread for this in Froggy Chat?
    You Citroen guys, always lagging behind

Dave
    2009 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi wagon
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Holden have in the past built bodies for vintage rear wheel drive Citroens. I went to see an old C6G and was surprised to see the Holden name plate on the body work! So maybe the wheel has come full circle?
    And heaven knows what else. Holden was an amazingly diverse body-builder for imported chassis cars.

It is delicious for PSA now to own the source of the next ludicrously named "Australia's own", which started anyway as a superannuated pre-war Chevrolet that wasn't built in USA and moved on through pretty ordinary, but OK in their way, evolutions to the German-based Commode. I reckon it was a good idea in its way, although why the Oz-taxpayer subsidised GM does make me baulk a bit.

The ownership of Opel won't make any different for years, but we can enjoy it in the meantime. We can go and put Aussiefrogs stickers on Holden Commodes, for example.... We could start a new thread area, quarantined from real French cars, for Holdens...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Very sad case......

I posted this story on Monday as the PSA meeting closed and the press rushed to the phones. Have a look at Froggie Chat
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

Interesting...my reckoning the other day was that imop $3 Billion would be about it's real worth...Provisos...no past to carry over....Plus no exclusion to other markets.

As stated here accurately G.M. gave us the 'Australia's Own' an imported U.S. designed Chevvy'.

As have stated more than once hear 'How come Australia's best Labor P.M. [in some peoples estimation] did not accept 50% share offered by G.M. Acceptance of that would have given reasonable credence to their claim.

Did I read somewhere that Peugeot have been building 308 platforms for G.M.

I really hope it works out for all involved.

If Citroen has the Cactus, maybe Holden can sell the Rollerdoor replacement as the Prickly Pear
    shanadoo and baldrick56 like this.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ -V6.
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix"

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    afaik it was only from about 1980's onward that Vauxhalls & Opels were 'the same' thus the (mark 1, 2, 3) Viva was not the same as the Opel Kadett (made latterly famous by Richard Hammond repatriating one from Africa). Ditto Victor & Cresta were different cars from the Ascona & Rekord. Only with the FWD 'Cavalier' did they achieve commonality.

Baldrick,

1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    And heaven knows what else. Holden was an amazingly diverse body-builder for imported chassis cars.

The ownership of Opel won't make any different for years, but we can enjoy it in the meantime. We can go and put Aussiefrogs stickers on Holden Commodes, for example.... We could start a new thread area, quarantined from real French cars, for Holdens...
    Really?????? Go and wash your mouth out! You naughty boy!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information