• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By UFO
  • 2 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: C5 X7 - two questions/issues please

UFO

Default C5 X7 - two questions/issues please

Well the C5 has clocked over 209,000 trouble free km - but we have a couple of current situations.

Advertisement

Yesterday arvo while driving in Sydney the car decided it did not like being properly cooled and Mrs UFO (driving) received dashboard warning signals about engine over temp etc and the gearbox was going into limp home mode. We pulled into a servo and checked radiator etc - yes it was hot... I called Con Cars as we were not too far away but it was after 5pm and Bill advised that he had no loan cars we could use so we could drop the car there but were otherwise stranded. We had noticed that if we kept moving the car would cool and higher gears would return. Based on this we decided to press on gently to get to the meeting we had to go to and then return home post meeting in the cool of the evening. The car made it home OK and never got above halfway on the temp scale (phew!) but it was not a pleasant drive as I was stressed about it.

I think it is a the temp sensor has gone kaput and the low speed fan was not operating and/or radiator cooling fan was not functioning at all. Fan was not "stuck" in position and would freely rotate when spun by hand. When I get home this afternoon I will try a bypass wire to feed fan directly to ensure it spins.

Your opinions please - sensor, relay for fans or both? From Service Citroen diagrams it looks like sensor replacement is an easy job.

Second - I think the FR engine mount is on its way out or is already stuffed. Noticeable by a feeling like a warped disc rotor when braking downhill etc but breaks seem normal on level braking. I think Greg B mentioned at the next service it may be time for a new FR mount. (KenW is this the type of symptom you had with yours and was it only the liquid/rubber block that you replaced?)

In the interim I have emailed Martin at EAI for prices for parts.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Cheers
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Hi Craig

Have you checked coolant level?

If the fans are of the same design as those in Xantias, 406s etc., then they stop working when the brushes wear out, and 200,000+ km is a pretty good life for them it seems. The fan can be spun freely by hand - in fact probably more freely than a new one, as there is no longer friction from the brushes - but no amount of power applied will get them spinning again.

Good luck with the bypass wire - I think you would have to remove the fan (which will require removing grille as an absolute minimum) and then attach alligator clips to the blades of the plug, which is of course located at the back of the fan...

Cheers

Alec

PS "Normal" behaviour - again, based on earlier model - is, with aircon off, for both fans to spin at low speed when the initial temp threshold is reached (?90C), and then to spin at top speed (becomes quite audible) if temperature heats up to the next threshold (?100C).

However, both fans should always spin at low speed if the aircon is switched - regardless of any temperature measurement. As before, high speed would only be used when the upper threshold temperature is reached.

If one fan is kaput, but one is still working, then when both fans would normally be spinning at low speed, the one that works will run at high speed to compensate. Again, the roaring tends to be audible...
    Last edited by Armidillo; 7th March 2017 at 12:58 PM.

Hi Craig,

If it turns out that it is the fan unit, PM me.

My experience with a series 2 HDI is that the main engine mount only last around 100,000Ks. I generally buy those type of parts from EAI, but after having a mount collapse after about 3 month, I'm starting to think that "Original Citroen" for those type of parts is a better solution?

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

UFO

Having had time for a "look" this afternoon I said to Deb "Ya know what, it's going to Continentals". On previous occasions with other cars I have chased my tail. I'm too old for this crap. It could be a simple sensor - which seems to be a challenge to get to (could see = can't reach/touch) or it could be the fan. Their computer will probably tell Spiro and the team in about 2 minutes.
    XM Mechanic and forumnoreason like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Craig,

I think they only have one fan and vary the speed by putting various resistors in series just like a series 2 Xsara.

I replaced the engine mount and torque bar at about 120kkm after the service report I got after some driveshaft work recommended their replacement. The mount had leaked out all the internal oil and there was a lot of vibration at idle enough to make the dash rattle at times and you could always just feel the motor running at speed. The new mount was a almost complete fix for the vibration issue.

I was hoping replacing the mounts would also fix a short term sharp sounding additional vibration that occurred as the accelerator was first pressed down for a take off. It didn't but the sound now seems to have gone now over the next 20kkm - fingers crossed.

So cooling system issues to look forward to hey. At least I have worked out how to take the front bumper off to replace driving lights. My C5X7 is now at 142kkm and I'm getting it ready for the big trip south to attend Cit-in Tas. I will get a fuel filter fitted in the next fortnight.

Maybe I will get back to working on the SM in May - at least it will be cooler then.

Cheers, Ken

Hi Craig,

The biggest problem with late Citroens isn't fixing the problem, but often finding the problem?

I'm sure Spiro will know what's wrong without diagbox..........But it's the invoice from Greg that I have trouble jumping over :-((

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

UFO

News travels fast I hear David S. :-)

Deb took the car up today and returned with a C4 petrol/auto loaner. We're a C8 driveway tonight. I'll go to Punchbowl after work tomorrow to collect the C5 with its replacement cooling fan.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

So was it the brushes? And can C5 fans be repaired? Or does Continentals show no interest in the underlying causes of these issues?

Cheers

Alec

Hi Craig,

See if you can get the old fan - it will be re-brushable in an Aussie context. I would be happy to relieve you of it if its no use to you.

Cheers, Ken
    Armidillo and UFO like this.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Having had time for a "look" this afternoon I said to Deb "Ya know what, it's going to Continentals". On previous occasions with other cars I have chased my tail. I'm too old for this crap. It could be a simple sensor - which seems to be a challenge to get to (could see = can't reach/touch) or it could be the fan. Their computer will probably tell Spiro and the team in about 2 minutes.
    I am with you UFO. I have also got to the stage when the "point and pay" method of car repairs beats the "stress and death" outcome hands down.

John
    UFO likes this.

1000+ Posts

But it's the invoice from Greg that I have trouble jumping over
    Indeed. Please send your surplus my way. I'll probably be under a car when you arrive.

Thread Information