C5 diesel does it again.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By flipperman

Thread: C5 diesel does it again.

Tadpole

Default C5 diesel does it again.

Just back from my bi-annual trip east. Had a drama when the rr tyre showed up badly worn on the edge.
    Trailing arm bearings were shot on both sides.
    Many thank to the guys in Vic club and Paris motors for their efforts and getting me back on track on time.
    Completed 12,500klms again. Across the nully averaged 100klm/hr with 5.1 ltrs/100klms. Better than last time @ 5.9ltrs/. 307,000 klms now and running better than ever.
    My last such journey as I am feeling too old for this #hit.

Advertisement

Need to modify h/lights on both cars cos they stuff ballasts which I cannot replace. $.
    Any advice on whether the new xenon ballasts can be fitted??

Your never to old to chuck a Nitro kit on and do the Nully in half the time.
    Vincenzo and FIVEDOOR like this.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ -V6.
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix"

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

You'd have to have a very large tank to carry enough nitrous.. but it would be a hoot!
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Just back from my bi-annual trip east. Had a drama when the rr tyre showed up badly worn on the edge.
    Trailing arm bearings were shot on both sides.
    Many thank to the guys in Vic club and Paris motors for their efforts and getting me back on track on time.
    Completed 12,500klms again. Across the nully averaged 100klm/hr with 5.1 ltrs/100klms. Better than last time @ 5.9ltrs/. 307,000 klms now and running better than ever.
    snip
    What model and year?
    Current Cars
    2016 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Wagon
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort - 4 Sale
    1969 Citroen DS Pallas BVH, 1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Tadpole

2001 model.
    Need to get rid of the valeo headlight ballasts which have failed in both my C5's and replace them with latest model ballasts.
    NOBODY as been able to tell me it can be done or how, without quoting major difficulties and prices, but the adverts on ebay indicate it can be done.
    Any help here please??

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    2001 model.
    Need to get rid of the valeo headlight ballasts which have failed in both my C5's and replace them with latest model ballasts.
    NOBODY as been able to tell me it can be done or how, without quoting major difficulties and prices, but the adverts on ebay indicate it can be done.
    Any help here please??
    Hi Cary, I have a 2004 C5 which has the valero Ballasts, never had a problem, at all. Both headlights always come on together. My previous car had normal Halogen globes, and I bought generic Xenon HIDs with generic ballasts, and fitted them to the Xantia. They worked well, about $50.00 a kit. But I would see no need to replace the valeo ones. Why don't you source 2 replacement headlights from a motor wrecker? A pretty cheap option.
    Good luck, cheers, George 1/8th.

Tadpole

Hi George.
    H/lights are very expensive from the wreckers I have tried, hence my thoughts on generic ballasts.
    They are both lhs which I think is strange.
    Guess I will have to soldier on.
    Cheers all.

Hi Cary,

My experience with our 2002 C5 was the ballasts never gave trouble, but I have heard of cars that did?????

Have you tried EBay UK?

The other solution may be a pair of Halogen headlamps (UK), but you might have to reset the BSI to halogen not HDI.

Best regards

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

If it's a 2001 HDi, then it will not have the HID headlamps and so has no ballast units. In Series 1 C5, these came as standard only on the V6, with the ballast secured to the bottom. So, if it's a bog standard 2001 HDi, then you should have the halogen headlights, which have a different enclosure and reflector shape - i.e. intended for halogen lamps, not HID. Used headlamps from a V6 with ballast and the lamp are not too hard to find used. There was a change in the internal wiring and the plug for the lamp though, so it's best to get a whole headlamp. It's normally the lamps that fail not the ballast units. If only one headlamp is out, try swapping the lamps and see if the fault follows.

For the 2005-on facelift C5, the HID headlamps are different and have a turning projector lens inside. They are not interchangeable with the earlier type, which are only self-levelling and not turning.
    Last edited by David S; 15th March 2017 at 05:32 PM.

Tadpole

Thanks David.
    I have the v6 in bits atm replacing thermostat etc because of o/ heat problem.
    It is the v6 with the ballast prob.
    Will investigate the hdi lamp outage when the v6 is up n runnin again.

Anybody got lhs 2002 v6 hlight complete for me??

Tadpole

Well it gets betterer.
    Thanks to David I managed to get a replacement globe for my hdi.
    The plastic had melted around the prongs of the globe which required the use of a screwdriver to prise them apart.
    Cool. Except the spring is now somewhere under the car hopefully on the belly pan.
    It seems that my efforts to relocate the new globe were taking too long, so my back went into spasms, reducing me to a crumpled body on the garage floor.
    At least I can look forwards to about a week in bed, whilst my wife complains she has no car.
    The joys of being a frogger.

Thread Information