Traction Avant
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Traction Avant

Tadpole

Default Traction Avant

Hi have 1948 Traction with a couple of issues and would be grateful for some advice.
    The S.E.V wiper motor was going but now has stopped and the outer casing gets hot. I have isolated the
    motor until I come up with a solution.Any suggestions ?
    The other issue is I am going to put a water temperature gauge on the car.
    Can you suggest were I can source a 6V gauge and how difficult or not to install.
    One last thing wiper arms and were to buy them.
    Thanks.

Advertisement

Hi,

Jose Franssen has the cheapest traction parts in Europe, and a very comprehensive range. They are friendly and always helpful. As you car is French built, wiper motor parts are easily available.

Der Franzose is good as well, with cheaper freight, but often more expensive, and they range isn't as good as JF.

Just Google either of the above to find their web site.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

BTW, They will have 6V temp gauges as well.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Tadpole

Thanks Greg,
    BTW ??
    Best Regards
    Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by 2CV48TA View Post
    The S.E.V wiper motor was going but now has stopped and the outer casing gets hot.
    Are the various pivots in the mechanism free and lubricated? Also check the wiper arm shafts, over time the grease can be depleted and the shafts start to seize up overloading the motor.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Thanks Simon,
    You are right the wiper arms have seized up. They were fine moments before they stopped.
    Do I have to take the head lining out to get the shafts. The motor seems well lubricated.
    Thanks Gavin.

You should only have to remove the front wiper panel head board. The outside fixings on the wiper arms where they pass through the roof panel need to be undone and then the whole head board and motor /wiper assembly can be removed. Do not forget to remove the battery terminals first to avoid shorting when the feed wire is disconnected.
    Remember the 11BL is an unfused system unless you have already made modifications to the wiring!
    Cheers Gerry

Tadpole

All good thanks.On another issue.I noticed that the car is sitting lower on the rear passenger side.
    I had a look and there seems to be an adjustment that can be made to raise or lower the suspension.
    I attempted to make the adjustment but there was a lot of tension on the nut. Any ideas.
    Thanks.

Must be adjusted with the weight off the suspension. Jack the car in the very ( exact centre) of the rear suspension mounting tube ( on the central bracket for the triangulation rod ( Panhard Rod). Check that the front suspension is evenly weighted. This can be done visually and with the aid of a spirit level on the front floor pan ( inside the car ). Adjust this until exactly level. Now raise or lower the rear adjusting nuts ( well soaked with Penetrine ) until the whole car sits exactly level. You will need to raise and lower the jacks to make the final tests ---again with a sprit level. Finally raise the car at the front from the exact centre of the suspension cradle ( make a shaped wooden jacking support as per the work shop manual similar to bracket MR 3300-110 on illustration 67a of the manual, only shaped to fit the front cradle). Now check that the rear axle is adjusted so the car sits perfectly level using the spirit level across the boot floor pan. This is fiddly and time consuming and also must include periodic checks to see that the proper height adjustments in illustration 101 are adhered to. This is the only method I know that will allow the proper weight distribution to be achieved with out the use of measuring scales shown in illustration 94a.
    I assume that you have access to a workshop manual. If not you can download one here, https://sites.google.com/site/citroenpublicationslist/
    Cheers Gerry

Tadpole

Thanks Gerry. Learning all the time.
    There a project for the weekend.

Thread Information