C5 hdi wagon wheel wobble cured
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: C5 hdi wagon wheel wobble cured

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 hdi wagon wheel wobble cured

The car, 2003, has had a front end wobble for some time, it got worse recently. Citroen Centre in Punchbowl checked it out in detail & did a wheel balance, it was well out, possibly a weight fell off. While not absolutely perfect, given the car's age, it is now beautiful & comfortable to drive, job well done.

From the many postings on wobble, there are a lot of problems out there. I would strongly suggest that anyone with a wobble problem get the wheels balanced first. It may fix it as it did here, or it will eliminate it as a cause when you are fault finding the problem. Even more importantly, you could fix a real problem & still be faced with a wobble & assume that what you fixed was not faulty at all when it was.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Advertisement

Regards

agd123

1000+ Posts

My Pug 605 has wheels without centre holes, and the nearest tyre service that can balance them is in Tamworth - about 1.5 hrs away. It took 3 attempts before they got the balance OK! As I don't go to Tamworth very often, this took over 12 months to achieve.

Before that the car was OK up to 100km/hr, but would shake uncomfortably above that - I never needed a speed limiter ! Once correctly balanced, the car was smooth at any legal speed, and remains good 2-3 years later. There has been no need to replace any parts relating to steering, proving that it was just a wheel balance issue.

Moral of the story? Just because you've had your wheels balanced doesn't mean they are balanced!!

Unfortunately, as the old girl is due for new tyres, I will have to go through the whole process again soon .

Cheers

Alec

JBN

My 2CV rims also have no centre holes for conventional wheel balancing. I use motor cycle balancing beads. These very small ceramic beads are fed through the valve stem, after the valve has been removed (with the tyre naturally going flat). The valve is then reinstated and tyre pumped to the correct pressure. The spinning ceramic beads dynamically balance the wheel.

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    My 2CV rims also have no centre holes for conventional wheel balancing. I use motor cycle balancing beads. These very small ceramic beads are fed through the valve stem, after the valve has been removed (with the tyre naturally going flat). The valve is then reinstated and tyre pumped to the correct pressure. The spinning ceramic beads dynamically balance the wheel.

John

Thanks John - like these?

DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads

Tire Balancing Beads | eBay

Might try them when I get new tyres on the the 605 - would save 3 x trips to Tamworth!. Can't see them working on a modern Citroen though - surely too complex for such a simple solution to work!

Cheers

Alec

JBN

Yes, Dyna Beads are the one.

John
    Armidillo likes this.

Thread Information