LHM Canister - To Paint or Not to Paint.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Dave Rogers
  • 1 Post By Dave Rogers
  • 8 Post By Dave Rogers

Thread: LHM Canister - To Paint or Not to Paint.

Default LHM Canister - To Paint or Not to Paint.

I'm installing a re-cored radiator in DEESSE. It will be interesting to see how the new triple core performs compared to the original twin core. That said, I've never had overheating problems even on extremely hot summer days.
    But with the front all exposed I'm cleaning everything up repainting all brackets, linkages, shrouds etc in their original colours. Things are starting to look tidy.
    My question is about the LHM canister. My later model car was delivered with an unpainted can, but mine is now looking a bit dowdy especially next to all the newly painted bits about to be installed. Do I move away from original spec and paint it green?

Advertisement

Please discuss.
    CXVingtCinq and Vincenzo like this.
    74/75 DS23 Pallas 5 Speed Carby

83 2CV Charleston and an 89 Dolly (in NZ)

80 GSA - ready to restore
    03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Hi,

I've seen overseas restorations where the tanks have been replated, presume zinc?

Might be good to get another tank and try plating that first, if you decide that's the way you want to go. Depends on how much you want to keep the car exactly original?

You can buy a new sticker for the tank from company's like Der Franzose. Having a green tank won't look wrong, as its only the very late cars that had the plated tanks, and I'm sure the change was only about cheapness. LHM green is almost identical to Mid Brunswick Green, so a pressure pack should be easy to find, though it shouldn't be too glossy?

I had a match done with Citroen Chassis Brown, but it took a while to get it exact.

I'm all for keeping the cars strictly original, but that doesn't mean I don't break the rules sometimes myself.

Will be interesting to see what other DS owners have to say?

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

^I'm in agreement with Greg. . .

Investigate plating on a replacement tank, tinning/nickel/zinc or whatever might be possible. I can supply stickers for the top, Large LHM, small Total LHM and Mini/Maxi level sticker.

Dave - also have a good look at the condition of that lower metal radiator hose, these can be had in stainless yours looks like it may be rusting. . .

Edit: your large LHM sticker is unusual, they are normally dark green with radius corners or the metal version with yellow LHM tank.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

I painted my tank though originally it was unpainted, mid brunswick is cheap and readily available from Supercheap in a can. One thing to remember is to clear coat it with a chemical resistant coat, spilt LHM will react badly with spraypaint, I used a KBS coating, you'll find out how good your return hoses are too so be prepared to replace any worn out ones.

My LHM sticker was given to me and I applied it as a short term measure. It doesn't have white borders that just the edges curling up as the cheap vinyl shrinks. I'll try sourcing a second tank and having that silver zinc coated. I the mean time, and again as a short term clean up for Cit-In I think I'll paint my existing tank. Chris, my bottom radiator pipe is a little rusty but still sound, a stainless one will have to wait a while. Good eagle-eyes though.
    But, but, I almost forgot, Yes I'd love to buy a complete set of stickers.. Please PM me with the details.

03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Here's photos of my old twin and new triple cores. I had a spare old radiator that I sent off for re-coring. I chose a Natrad agent, Thompson's Raiators in Cheltenham to do the job. When I got the old rad down from the roof of the garage to take into them, it had a sticker on the side showing it was last serviced by Thompson's Radiators on Sept 1986. So when I took it into them, I said that I was bringing it back under warranty, the young guy laughed and told me that he wasn't even born then. Good people, good job, excellent communication and good price.
    And why it needed replacing.

03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
    My LHM sticker was given to me and I applied it as a short term measure. It doesn't have white borders that just the edges curling up as the cheap vinyl shrinks. I'll try sourcing a second tank and having that silver zinc coated. I the mean time, and again as a short term clean up for Cit-In I think I'll paint my existing tank. Chris, my bottom radiator pipe is a little rusty but still sound, a stainless one will have to wait a while. Good eagle-eyes though.
    But, but, I almost forgot, Yes I'd love to buy a complete set of stickers.. Please PM me with the details.
    To be fair to whoever supplied your large LHM sticker, it's a big ask for any vinyl self adhesive to adhere to an oily surface. New stickers on a fresh painted or newly plated tank will definitely have a better outcome - Dave PM your mailing address and I'll get a set of stickers in the post for you.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Here's photos of my old twin and new triple cores. I had a spare old radiator that I sent off for re-coring. I chose a Natrad agent, Thompson's Raiators in Cheltenham to do the job. When I got the old rad down from the roof of the garage to take into them, it had a sticker on the side showing it was last serviced by Thompson's Radiators on Sept 1986. So when I took it into them, I said that I was bringing it back under warranty, the young guy laughed and told me that he wasn't even born then. Good people, good job, excellent communication and good price.
    And why it needed replacing.
    Good customers! Straight, honest and happy to pay for good work. You could build a business on that model. I have just had a radiator rebuilt in Melbourne, I was confident with the supplier after some research. Quote was $400.00 fine. Collected radiator, $620.00 that's fine if that what it costs, but recore in a radiator, how can you get it 30% wrong when the customer hand delivers it to you? Would love to be told that I wasn't ripped off, it's all about perception.
    Last edited by mberry; 27th February 2017 at 07:11 PM.
    M.BERRY
    68 DS21 BVH
    70 DS21 BVH
    70 D Super

I am looking at a recore myself do you mind if I ask how much you paid for yours to be done?

Looks like a nice job btw.

$525 smackos, firm quote and they stuck to it. When I made inquiries about 6 years ago, from a local Frankston business, I was quoted $625. Couldn't afford it at the time so made do with a quick repair, which as you can see from the photo above, finally let go. But it took six years so I can't complain.
    mberry likes this.

03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Work has been busy lately so progress on the radiator install has slowed. But at least it has allowed all repainted items to harden up. The now painted LHM tank is back in and I think that the fresh look of improves the under bonnet appearance but in the long run I'd like to replace it with a re-nickelled one. Here's the progress to date.
    CXVingtCinq, Vincenzo, UFO and 5 others like this.

03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Icon6

Work has been busy lately so progress on the radiator install has slowed. But at least it has allowed all repainted items to harden up. The now painted LHM tank is back in and I think that the fresh look of improves the under bonnet appearance but in the long run I'd like to replace it with a re-nickelled one. Here's the progress to date.
    Dramatic improvement Dave, well done

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

I am having the radiator on mine recored to from a 2 row to a 3 row also. Cost in the USA is about the same. Mine has never overheated, but the gage gets just about to the end of the white part of the range on hot days. I'll be interested to see how it does this summer with the 3 row core.

While I had my radiator out, I replaced the 2 silent bloc bushings on the rack. One had failed. Pretty easy job with the radiator out and might be worth checking.
    Paul
    -------------------
    1969 DS21 Pallas BVH

Others:
    1966 International 1000A Pickup
    1963 VW 1200

Thanks for the suggestion Pav. Mine were replaced a few years ago when a re-conditioned steering rack was fitted. I did just now replace the rubber blocks that support the radiator. My plastic fan shroud is now positioned perfectly around the fan, with original blocks the shroud sat too low and the fan blades just touched it at the top of the shroud, so I needed to reposition the shroud with a couple is spacers. Don't have to do that now.

03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Fellow Frogger

I think the tank looks better painted and it would have been had the factory not skimped on the paint at the end. Every car needs something small that is 'wrong'! Like chrome washer jets fitted to a late car, where it should really have had the ugly plastic version.

For anyone wanting a DIY plating solution, electroless nickel may be worth considering. That process is one where the item to be plated is immersed in a bath and heated. I assume the original finish would have been tin.

Thread Information