• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Pollution and Citroen 2CV6

1000+ Posts

Default electric car emissions !

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Nice to hear from you bonnie! You are right about the Tesla - an electric car produces no emissions from the engine. The problem is with how the electricity that it uses is generated - has to come from somewhere. If the electricity is coming from an old inefficient coal-burning power station, is this an improvement over burning petrol in the car? It moves the pollution out of the city, but it still goes into the atmosphere!
    Cheers Alec
    Hi
    My point exactly made quite some posts back The only true zero emissions car in use is one which is repowered(charged) by renewables, EG solar panels on the roof (or others). In Australia's general climate that is quite possible and indeed some people do so Unfortunately not many.

What might be an acceptable alternative is the power companies use renewables and then the pollution in the city and at the generator will be mostly eliminated. That would require a policy that acknowledges we have a problem. That's our problem here ??
    Jaahn

Advertisement
    Armidillo likes this.

Then think of the electricity used to refine petrol, the energy used to transport it to and from the refinery.......

At least with electricity you have a choice on where it comes from
    Armidillo likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

There is a bloke in WA who converted a 2CV into a ute. The ute tray covers all the batteries. He recharges it from the solar panels on his house roof. I think the range is about 80km, which makes it a very useful quaint runabout in Perth. Solved the "Pollution and the Citroen 2CV6" problem in one neat way.

Generally, if you are on a pension your options point you towards a used Citroen (they all devalue at a horrendous rate) and petrol or diesel power plant as you can only afford to feed them every second Thursday (pension pay day).

Buying an electric vehicle at a high initial cost is for those that have the means and the obsession with saving the planet. They may indeed save the world, but the pensioner is not looking for a long time earthly experience anymore. Small cheap treats bring a bigger (and affordable) smile.

Some even resort to eBay in the search for a good set of second hand wings to replace their earthly vehicle when the road runs out.

John
    Berridale likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Pollution never stops, it merely changes form. From ashes to ashes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pollution and Citroen 2CV6-imagestraction.jpg   Pollution and Citroen 2CV6-imagesscrapcitroen.jpg   Pollution and Citroen 2CV6-e8c504275ef91f76031812e6f664ff24dscitroen.jpg  
    jaahn likes this.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Pollution never stops, it merely changes form. From ashes to ashes.
    Two of those photos show very "green" cars. Its only the middle one that is a heap of rubbish, visually polluting the environment.

John

Fellow Frogger!

visual pollution
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pollution and Citroen 2CV6-4670924003_8e087f72ff_bcitroen-cx.jpg   Pollution and Citroen 2CV6-a8j21do_700btrainvw.jpg  
    Greg C and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

Love No 2!!!
    jaahn likes this.

JBN

I knew a person in the UK Citroen Car Club that had a CX wagon that looked similar to the photo. Bottom 6" of the door skin was missing. Fortunately it was the same rust brown colour as the one in the photo, so it didn't seem to be so out of place.

That's what happens when you salt the roads instead of your food.

John

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I wonder how they got that CX onto the truck ? Very carefully ???
    Jaahn

[QUOTE=JBN;1506452 That's what happens when you salt the roads instead of your food.
    John[/QUOTE]

Personally I use salt on neither.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    I wonder how they got that CX onto the truck ? Very carefully ???
    Jaahn
    As bad as the rust looks, the door is not that critical to the strength of the car. The sills are more critical in that they are integral in the strength of the hull and on a CX are also subject to some rust. Then you have the longerons underneath the hull, which still provide some rigidity to the hull, even though their primary reason is safety by acting as giant shock absorbers. It always amazed me what vehicles ended up with a valid MOT even if they looked like big fails.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Renburg View Post
    It would be one of the dirtiest , big twin chokes , full throttle ,and no cat converter And the Tesla , no emissions ?
    Not that a 2CV6 is particularly clean, although pollution must be proportional to fuel used among other things. However, you might look into the energy cost of manufacturing the Tesla..... Let alone the power station emissions/transmission losses in charging the thing. And the depreciation - wallet sensitivity.... Not to knock the Tesla as an interesting product, but I think the low emissions in actual operation are a bit of a furphy with a car like that.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

I reckon the 2CV6 would be a lot cleaner if they removed the V6.

John

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information