Replacement hydraulic pipe
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By agd123

Thread: Replacement hydraulic pipe

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lobethal (SA)
    Posts
    439

    Default Replacement hydraulic pipe

    I have been doing repairs on 1/4" hydraulic lines on my XM and have been buying steel brake pipe from PBR. It looks like some of the UK eBay people sell copper pipe for the same thing. Is copper pipe capable of the high pressure lines? Any recommendations on what is the proper pipe to use?

    Cheers Erik

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erikbm View Post
    I have been doing repairs on 1/4" hydraulic lines on my XM and have been buying steel brake pipe from PBR. It looks like some of the UK eBay people sell copper pipe for the same thing. Is copper pipe capable of the high pressure lines? Any recommendations on what is the proper pipe to use?

    Cheers Erik
    Hi Erik,
    The UK Ebay suppliers might be referring to Copper Nickel, Cu.Ni.
    Partswise® Brake Tubing and Hardware

    As supplied by Citro'Services
    https://www.citroservices.com/piping...379.gp.1291.uw

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    canberra
    Posts
    137

    Default

    I have got piping, seals etc from:-

    Pleiades Automotive Hydraulics
    Lot 3 Naylor Rd
    Gayndah
    Qld
    4625
    07 41612512

    He is very knowledgable & helpful, can put on your flares/bulges on the ends of your pipe for you if needed. Does do mail orders.

    Regards

    agd123
    GreenBlood and forumnoreason like this.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Keepit NSW
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Copper is DEFINITELY not suitable for hydraulic systems.

    The steel brake tube you have is suitable.

    In 2005 I did Route 66 in a DS21 with the Canadian owner........ over 3 weeks, from Toronto, Chicago to LA and back
    Day 2 The main pipe from pressure reg to system failed with a spectacular fountain of fluid.
    He had put a new pipe on just a week earlier............. but unfortunately it was copper.

    We found a steel brake tube, I made "bulges" "in the field" from 2 turns of wire, silver soldered on (Note NOT soft solder)
    That lasted the remainder of the trip, including the return to Chicago.

    Bob
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Copper is DEFINITELY not suitable for hydraulic systems.

    The steel brake tube you have is suitable.

    In 2005 I did Route 66 in a DS21 with the Canadian owner........ over 3 weeks, from Toronto, Chicago to LA and back
    Day 2 The main pipe from pressure reg to system failed with a spectacular fountain of fluid.
    He had put a new pipe on just a week earlier............. but unfortunately it was copper.

    We found a steel brake tube, I made "bulges" "in the field" from 2 turns of wire, silver soldered on (Note NOT soft solder)
    That lasted the remainder of the trip, including the return to Chicago.

    Bob
    Was that copper or cunifer (copper nickel?). According to the data sheets on cunifer, at least in 3/16 inch (4.5mm) diameter tubing, it has 95% of the burst pressure of steel brake line. I just re-plumbed an entire DS19 (except for the 6mm lines) in cunifer. I would sure hate to have to do that job over again.
    Cheers,
    John T.

    61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 67DS21 BVH; 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    I just re-plumbed an entire DS19 (except for the 6mm lines) in cunifer. I would sure hate to have to do that job over again.
    I think I have raised this or a similar question here before, and i don't think I'm hijacking the thread. Here in the UK we look to copper-nickel (Cunifer) as our replacement for steel hydraulic pipes. I've never heard of anyone having any problems with it. I bought mine from Plaeides in the UK and also a pipe flaring kit. Cupro-nickel is easy to bend/ form and it's great where you have a flare and nut at both ends, but if you've re-plumbed your DS John, i guess you would have had to silver solder cunifer pipes to some of the late union plates with 'O' rings that are found on a DS? If so, do you have any tips for us in general but me specifically - as i am scratching my head on this one.....

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    .... John, i guess you would have had to silver solder cunifer pipes to some of the late union plates with 'O' rings that are found on a DS? If so, do you have any tips for us in general but me specifically - as i am scratching my head on this one.....
    Yes, I actually used brass rather than silver solder, but I don't think it makes any difference. I discovered the hard way that cunifer has zero tensile strength when it is glowing red hot. If you move it at all it will tear, so support the pipes with some sort of fixture. Once the fitting had cooled somewhat, I quenched it. So far everything seems to be holding together, although I have less than 10 miles of driving - still waiting for the gas tank to come back from the paint strippers....
    Cheers,
    John T.

    61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 67DS21 BVH; 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lobethal (SA)
    Posts
    439

    Default Not hijacking

    No you aren't hijacking the thread. This is the sort of information that is useful to all hydraulic citroens. So can anyone confirm that the Cu Nickel pipe stuff is OK. If it is softer than steel pipe, it would be easier to for the citroen bulges with my new tool, although I have it working OK now.

    Cheers, Erik

  9. #9
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erikbm View Post
    No you aren't hijacking the thread. This is the sort of information that is useful to all hydraulic citroens. So can anyone confirm that the Cu Nickel pipe stuff is OK. If it is softer than steel pipe, it would be easier to for the citroen bulges with my new tool, although I have it working OK now.

    Cheers, Erik
    All the Citroen specialist suppliers I have checked supply Copper Nickel alloy (Kunifer) as hydraulic tubing.
    Copper as Bob has pointed out is Not suitable for Citroen lines as it case hardens and will (as Bob experienced) crack and fail.

    The only exception to the above I have found are the made up lines for the CX that Franzose supply, these being stainless steel.

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •