Dashboard powder coat mission (again - sorry)
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Loudel
  • 1 Post By ds21bvh
  • 1 Post By kenlin

Thread: Dashboard powder coat mission (again - sorry)

Default Dashboard powder coat mission (again - sorry)

Hi guys,

Advertisement

Do we have a member in or near White City, Oregon, USA? Essentially I was wondering if someone would be able to show an original 3rd dash to a guy at Prismatic Powders for matching. I forget who their Australian representative is. If I found out who the Oz reps are, would anyone be willing to show them a dash for comparison? I think they are in Sydney.

I've ordered another 5 swatches of various dark grey powders from Prismatic, hoping that one of them will be fine. The chap in Brisbane hasn't answered my email so I have to go to plan C.

Cheers
    Vince
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

Just done a quick search. Seems there is a place just west of Penrith (Jamisontown) that may do Prismatic Powder stuff.
    Contact [email protected] (I have not done so, cannot guarantee he is still there or they still do PP, fyi only).
    Am disappointed that Robertos have not bothered to contact you as they would be picking up my stuff eventually.
    Please let us know how it goes.
    RegarDS
    Lou
    Vincenzo likes this.

Hi Vince
    Its unusual for Rob to be unresponsive I know he's flat out as I'm waiting for some non urgent stuff myself. Ill ask him about it when I'm next there in a few days. Did you sort the box out...? Making the transport easy is probably important.
    Cheers
    Mark...

Sent from my SM-G935F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Vincenzo likes this.

Cheers Guys, I'll email Rob again in case my message didn't through. I haven't built the transport box as I don't have the dash back from my 'beater. Soon though.. I'm happy for him to focus on my rear end which should be finished this week!!
    Cheers
    Vince
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Cheers Guys, I'll email Rob again in case my message didn't through. I haven't built the transport box as I don't have the dash back from my 'beater. Soon though.. I'm happy for him to focus on my rear end which should be finished this week!!
    Cheers
    Vince
    I am close to Jamisontown and can show him a DS23 dash if this will help. I will need the address though.

Ken
    Vincenzo likes this.

Hyper Coatings
    unit 5 10A Production Place Jamisontown.
    I may just give them a try (when I get a round tuit)
    Lou

Hi Ken, that would be fantastic thank you very much. I'm sure a few people would be keen to know what product they recommend.

cheers
    Vince

Quote Originally Posted by kenlin View Post
    I am close to Jamisontown and can show him a DS23 dash if this will help. I will need the address though.

Ken

Bikes -

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Hi Ken, that would be fantastic thank you very much. I'm sure a few people would be keen to know what product they recommend.

cheers
    Vince
    HiVince

Will drop by Hypercoatings this morning.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Vince and other interested powdercoaters

I did visit Hypercoatings at 5/10A Production Place, Jamisontown (a Penrith industrial area these days) this morning.

Their work consists of applying powders in various patterns to metal sheeting, which is then heated to 220 degrees (C) to create the wrinkle effect . Not suited to a DS dash, part of which is plastic and would quickly become "gloop", if that's the technical term. Apparently they have done work on metal dashboard cars with good results. I saw a metal painted sample which they called "water silk" and which was very like the new finish on a late DS dash.

But unfortunately, their work does not look like a solution to the dash renovation on our cars.

Good luck

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenlin View Post
    Hi Vince and other interested powdercoaters

I did visit Hypercoatings at 5/10A Production Place, Jamisontown (a Penrith industrial area these days) this morning.

Their work consists of applying powders in various patterns to metal sheeting, which is then heated to 220 degrees (C) to create the wrinkle effect . Not suited to a DS dash, part of which is plastic and would quickly become "gloop", if that's the technical term. Apparently they have done work on metal dashboard cars with good results. I saw a metal painted sample which they called "water silk" and which was very like the new finish on a late DS dash.

But unfortunately, their work does not look like a solution to the dash renovation on our cars.

Good luck

Ken
    . . .but, but, but there is no plastic on a stripped late D dash only metal. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information