CX Steering Rack Pinion
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default CX Steering Rack Pinion

Hi all, new round here, cutting my teeth on old Citroens,

Advertisement

I recently bought a 1978 CX Pallas project, and have been gradually fixing up all the big/little hydraulic leaks throughout the car. The last one has been a leak from some failed seals in the steering rack.
    I've broken down the unit using the manual and a very helpful guide from here, but cannot work out how to get the pinion/bearing out of the rack housing so I can remove the rack?
    CX Steering Rack Pinion-imag0588.jpg
    The manual I have makes no mention of there being a locking nut or clip on the shaft itself, and just says to remove the rack damper, then the pinion. Have I missed something? Does it have anything to do with the brass plate pressed into the housing at the base of the pinion?

Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Mitch.

Hi,

The damper puts pressure on the underside of the rack to ensure the pinion and rack stay together under some pressure. In your pic there is a circular extension with a small hole in the side. This is the damper housing.

I can't remember exactly, but there should be a circular threaded ring that should unscrew, releasing the plunger and a spring. There will be a split pin to stop the threaded ring from undoing that you need to remove.

Once you release the tension on the rack by removing the damper / plunger, the pressure on the pinion can be removed.
    The pinion has a bearing attached, so it may require some pressure to release the bearing. After the rack is removed, knock the pinion out through the plunger aperture.

Cx's don't generally give any problems on the mechanical side of the rack?

Best regards,

Greg
    Last edited by Greg; 17th February 2017 at 12:38 PM.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

The pinion gear and the bearing should just pull straight out once you have removed the rack pressure pad and the bearing retaining plate.
    The inner bearing is a very small needle roller that is permanently staked into place ----it does not need to be removed. Look very carefully at the surface condition of the rack pistons. Mine very, very, corroded and the pistons needed replacing. Seal kits and replacement pistons are available from CX Basis. The assembly is very straight forward but requires extreme care to avoid dislodging a seal.
    There is a section on the rack in the thread Gerry's 'CX restoration'. Look in Completed/Near completed restorations post #110.
    Cheers Gerry

Tadpole

Thanks guys, I'll have another crack at it tonight, just didn't want to force it in case there was something I'd missed.
    I pulled out all the damper parts Greg, no issues there so the rack is free to move away, the pinion is the last thing in my way.
    The rack itself is fine Gerry, not damaged or corroded by the looks, centres itself fine, it just leaks too much LHM past the seals for me to ignore it. It'll get a new set of o rings and boots when it goes back together.

Thread Information