Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 2 Post By gerrypro

Thread: PSA to buy Vauxhall & Opel?

Default PSA to buy Vauxhall & Opel?

This was in Auto express this morning:

Advertisement

General Motors in talks with PSA to sell Vauxhall and Opel brands

US car giant General Motors and the French PSA group are in ďadvanced discussionsĒ over the sale of GMís European operations, according to a report filed by Reuters.

The news agency reports that the talks could lead to Opel and its UK market iteration Vauxhall being sold by GM to PSA. Sources close to the matter told Reuters that a deal could be announced within days.

PSA Ė the group behind Peugeot, Citroen and DS cars Ė already has dealings with Opel and is currently supplying the GM brand with components. For instance, the upcoming Vauxhall Grandland X - a new C-segment SUV headlining Vahxuallís SUV boom - will sit on a PSA platform. Itíll get the EMP2 architecture underpinning the Peugeot 3008 and 5008 models, and could event be built at Peugeotís factory in Sochaux, France, alongside those two models.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Ooops Sorry.

Didn't realise it was a crime to post things twice?

The other post was in Froggy Forum, which I don't read, and I'm sure there would be others that read only Citroen Forum, and not Froggy Forum?

Guess there is no pleasing some people?

best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Ooops Sorry.

Didn't realise it was a crime to post things twice?

The other post was in Froggy Forum, which I don't read, and I'm sure there would be others that read only Citroen Forum, and not Froggy Forum?

Guess there is no pleasing some people?

best regards,

Greg
    It was intended as a helpful comment. Following forum protocols is hardly "pleasing some people".

I apologise if you were offended.

I would have thought, as a general rule, duplicated threads are a good thing to avoid.

If one clicks "new posts" at login then, hey presto , the new posts appear, and duplication can be readily avoided.
    Armidillo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I suppose PSA is pretty heavily backed up by the government

1000+ Posts

More likely Dongfeng Motor (HK) International

GM Europe is bleeding money.
    Last edited by seasink; 15th February 2017 at 08:15 PM.

Does this mean that the new Opel sourced Commodore replacement will now become a Peugeot????????????
    Trading Estate and jaahn like this.
    Cheers Gerry

Ffaarrkk, you learn something every day!

JAJEA

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    It was intended as a helpful comment. Following forum protocols is hardly "pleasing some people".

I apologise if you were offended.

I would have thought, as a general rule, duplicated threads are a good thing to avoid.

If one clicks "new posts" at login then, hey presto , the new posts appear, and duplication can be readily avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post

JAJEA
    Have you been taking lessons from Graham Kennedy?
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post

JAJEA
    With 430 posts in 4 years, I'm glad you have taken some advice on board.

Moving on, I'm a bit puzzled about PSA paying money for a business that is losing money. No doubt there's a strategic purpose lurking......

At least buying Ambassador in India was petty cash and gets them a business again in a serious market. Like China, I guess most attributes for a car in India revolve around comfort and reliability in traffic jams in hot weather (or cold weather), perhaps matching Sydney commuting but not relevant to my needs!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I'm surprised when GM went bankrupt a few years ago, the US government did not force GM to sell off their Opel, Vauxhall and Holden divisions. Doesn't Opel somehow own the Russian car maker VAZ?

GM's Oldsmobile and Pontiac divisions were a joke. They were nothing but Chevrolet's with some minor redesigning like the interiors, grills and bumpers (as far back as the 1960s) and in some cases only different badges.

No different than Ford killing off their Mercury Division and Chrysler with their Plymouth division.

I'm really surprised GM didn't drop their GMC truck division since it's identical to what Chevrolet makes.

Their Saturn division was actually a unique division. I don't know how common they were outside of North America.

Another example of rebadging, The Holden Suburban:

Speaking of which, any of you guys recognize this car? I owned one of these back in 1993. It was sold as the Mercury Capri in the US. Got great gas mileage but Mercury treated it as a red headed step child. The only way I could get it serviced was to take it to the Mazda dealership. The Mercury dealership didn't want to service it and parts took ages yet the Mazda dealership had most of the parts in stock because they interchanged with the 323.

1987 2CV faux Charleston edition (One of many other makes)

Mount Carmel, TN. (Outside Kingsport) USA

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Citroen%202CV?sort=2&page=1

1000+ Posts

GM-AvtoVAZ is part GM, part VAZ. VAZ in turn is part Renault-Nissan and used to be involved with Fiat.

For the Suburban, this may be of interest - http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...998-2001-31536. Most of us thought they were oversized.

1000+ Posts

That is interesting....G.M. went broke.....I did not hear that ....well there you go....proving that what you sew is what you reap.

I am wondering when a couple of other manufacturers,that are..let's say...doing similar things are going to follow suit.

In the next 12 to 18 months we are going to see certain things that will turn this world on it's head.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by turbofiat124 View Post
    Speaking of which, any of you guys recognize this car? I owned one of these back in 1993.

That would be a Ford Capri - a lemon of a car produced in Australia, that was launched at the same time as the Mazda Miata / MX-5, and couldn't have been a more perfect funhouse mirror opposite.

GM never owned Auto-Vaz (what we know as Lada), they just had a joint agreement to make a few cars. The venerable Lada Niva was slightly restyled (and given a tiny Chev engine) and was marketed as the Chevrolet Niva. They certainly stayed up way past midnight deciding of that name...
    You still see a few of the Chev badged ones around but that was dropped some years ago and all Nivas were Lads once more.
    Renault now owns Lada, who are now making models using Renault platforms.
    Chevrolet is still present in Russia, with Korean (Daewoo) sourced models wearing the badge. They too are unfortunate to get the appalling Cruse.
    The same Chevy badged Daewoos have just been withdrawn from Europe.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thread Information