D special brake calipers
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg

Thread: D special brake calipers

Fellow Frogger!

Default D special brake calipers

Ok, silly question perhaps, but just how best do I get the pistons back into the calipers after replacing the felt seals and rubber rings with a new set from Citroen classics?

I have already had some advice from a kind fellow frogger, but without success. I can get the pistons past the new felt rings, but the inside edges of the rubber rings sit just above the sleeve (presumably to provide a tight fit/seal) - which is enough to stop the piston sliding past. So they only go in half way.

The calipers are out of the car and hydraulic lines removed. So there is no pressure issue. I have lubricated with LHM, ensured the rings are seated properly, applied leveraged force, and even put the pistons in the freezer. All to no avail.

Any tips?

AM

Advertisement

you should have the calipers still in half so a bit of gentle persuasion with the rubber mallet might sort it out. I can't remember how I got mine back in but imagine thats what I might have done!

Hello, I used one of the 'one handed' G clamp thingies with a piece of ply to protect the piston. Went in easy enough.

Peter

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Ok, silly question perhaps, but just how best do I get the pistons back into the calipers after replacing the felt seals and rubber rings with a new set from Citroen classics?

I have already had some advice from a kind fellow frogger, but without success. I can get the pistons past the new felt rings, but the inside edges of the rubber rings sit just above the sleeve (presumably to provide a tight fit/seal) - which is enough to stop the piston sliding past. So they only go in half way.

The calipers are out of the car and hydraulic lines removed. So there is no pressure issue. I have lubricated with LHM, ensured the rings are seated properly, applied leveraged force, and even put the pistons in the freezer. All to no avail.

Any tips?

AM
    The first thing to do is insure that the rings you got are not too old - they can harden a bit with age. To double check, go to a local hardware store and pick up 4 AS 332 sized Buna-N 0-rings. Feel the 'softness' - if you will - of those new rings and compare to the rings you got. If the ones you got feel materially 'harder' use the 332 ones in their place. If not, you might try just heating the rings with a hot air heat gun (a portable hair drier works also). Heat the rings up and then insert the pistons. The heat softens the rubber and makes insertion a lot, lot easier.

FWIW AS 112 rings work just fine for sedan rear brake pistons, AS 114 for Break rears.

Steve
    Last edited by Citroenfan; 16th February 2017 at 04:01 AM.

Hi

So long as you have plenty of LHM for lube, use any sort of press, big G Clamp Vice etc.

Don't use a mallet as you need to drive it in straight and slowly.

I have a press, and just use the manual winder to press the piston into the calliper. Put a suitable piece of timber over the piston so you don't damage the face.

You can even use an offset vice, with the back of the calliper against one jaw (with some protection) and a wooden block on the face of the piston and gently wind it in.

You just need a little more pressure than what you can achieve pushing by hand, lots of lube and push the piston at right angles to the base of the calliper.

Best regards,

Greg
    forumnoreason likes this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

it's really got me struggling to remember how I put mine back in! Yes don't use a mallet as Greg so wisely recommends. You are a mechanic aren't you Greg?

A Citroen Mechanic, but spent a lot of my time is Citroen parts.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

I put standard rubber seal lube and pushed in making sure rubber is not pinched. Then I think I used clamp to push further...
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Fellow Frogger!

Done. Thanks all.

Thread Information