DS interior door handle source
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mberry

Thread: DS interior door handle source

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS interior door handle source

Are there any new DS chrome interior door handles available in Australia ? Or is it best to source overseas ?

Advertisement

Hi Peter,

Think overseas is the only source?

I purchased one recently, but its going back, as there is some bubbles in the Chrome, unfortunately on the top face.

Der Franzose says that they are cat 4, not as good as original. They checked their stock, and most of they are affected.

If its for a good car, I'd be pulling the handle apart, and rechroming it. It will cost more, but a better job.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Citroservices in Italy do them for you, look at their site, I was pleased with the results, didn't have to pull them apart eitherwhich is bonus.

Double check the length of your tongues. The Australian cars are different to what is specified in the Franzose catalogue. I bought some for the 1974 D Special. The front tongues are 90mm the rears are 73mm.
    UFO likes this.

Hi Guys,

I think the handle changes were as follows:

The front tongue was the 90MM but it was the way the lock tab in the tongue operated that was different. You had to have a lock handle tongue that didn't unlock the door and open the door in the same process?

The rear were the same, except the tongue was 73mm because the long tongue fowled the big headrests side supports.

What Citroservices is offering is pretty good, but by the time you pay freight to & from Italy (?), you must be able to get them done here?

Pulling them apart isn't really a big deal?

best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

I liked being able to do the job with minimum fuss. Freight wasn't too bad plus no VAT. And you're not guessing if you're ordering the correct dimensions!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Pulling them apart isn't really a big deal?

best regards,

Greg
    There is a document on the Tony Jackson site that explains the process of dismantling handles. As they are aluminium, the favoured solution here is to polish them, rather than re-chrome. Though the use of a copper base for chroming is mentioned. The dismantling job looks tricky - especially the pin.

I've gone down the repro route - I bought a set about 15 years ago. They feel heavy - so probably brass rather than aluminium. I've nearly gotten round to fitting them. Then I'll find out if they work.....

Fellow Frogger!

The originals do polish up well if you can remove most of the chrome off them. The pin securing the tongue is a real pain to remove as its a steel pin pressed into the aluminium. I sheared 3 high tensile bolts trying to remove mine and the pin didn't move at all. Re-chroming is an option but you have to remove the levers and even then it depends how badly pitted the aluminium alloy is. The guys at Huntingdale electroplating basically said it wasn't worth it if they're badly pitted. I'd either polish or go repro.

Hi Guys,

The European handle don't match our door locks, they work but not correctly.

Our handles are a two movement operation to open the door, firstly press the tab under the the lever to allow the lever to be pulled back to open the door.

The European handle reverts it back to a single movement operation, so if you have kids in the back, and they play with the door handle, they can open the door in one movement.

The pin is easy to get out:

Note;

The pin has a spline on the outer end so it has to be pulled or pushed out, not twisted out

Method 1; Place a copper washer over the pin, with hole to match the diameter of the pin. With a MIG place a weld on the top of the pin, but not breaking the welding wire. A quick flash is all that"s needed. Pull the pin out by the wire. This isn't my preferred method, but is the quickest.

Method 2; Locate the position exactly opposite the head of the pin (fairly easy). The top side of the handle where the end of the pin is. Centre punch tis position. Drill a small hole (2-3mm) in the top of the handle, which should come out onto the top of the pin.

With a similar sized pin punch knock the pin out.

To repair the hole, I use an aluminium rod fractionally larger than the hole (decide on the hole size by what rod size you have) Put a very small length in your drill and with a fine file, put a slight taper on one end, so that it can start to enter the hole you've drilled.

Press the rod into the hole until its jammed unto the drill hole. Cut the excess off that's protruding, and using a fine file, file it flush with the surface of the handle. Finish off with some fine wet & dry.

Reduce any excess rod internally with a Dremel.

I've used this method on heaps of handles, and at best, the pin is completely covered with the new chrome, and at worst you can just see a very faint circle on one of the handles I did.

And yes the new replacement handles are cast brass, but as Der Franzose says, they are quality 4, and not as good as original. My recent purchase is going back because of bubble in the chrome, which Der Franzose says is why they are quality 4.

If you have a nice DS23 Pallas, I doubt anyone would be happy with polished alloy handles......Its not a 2CV?

Best regards,

Greg

Attachment 93734Attachment 93735
    We Have:
    We Had:

Hi Peter,
    Get in touch with Andre Pol at Citroen Andre ([email protected]).
    I've had a few sets from him and they have been very good quality.
    He's also very quick to get them out to you if he knows it's urgent.
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Thread Information