Any of you guys make speedometer overlays?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 2 Post By JBN

Thread: Any of you guys make speedometer overlays?

Default Any of you guys make speedometer overlays?

This has some Citroen 2CV content. So the US and the UK still use miles per hour on our roadways. No doubt even if the US completely went to the metric system I doubt the government would replace millions of road signs due to funds. And yes we do use the metric system contrary to popular belief. We just can't seem to shake using Fahrenheit to measure air temperature.

So I've been working on this overlay for my Trabant and may try to make one for my Citroen. So I don't have to keep multiplying .6 in my head.

I started out placing stickers with the adjusted MPH over top of the KPH. Well the glossy stickers clashed with the matte black background so I didn't like this.

Advertisement

So I scanned the speedometer and photo-shopped it. See attached photo.

I printed it off on glossy photo paper with my inkjet printer. I found the ink rubbed off so I sprayed it with a couple of coats of clear lacquer. These prevents the ink from smudging and looks better.

The plan is to use a hole punch to punch out around the warning lights (that's why they are white) and where the needle goes through. And I'll trim out around the odometer.

To get it positioned right, my plan is to coat the backside with craft glue and use some tweezers. I made the overlay a slight larger (4") so it will hang over a bit. Then i can trim around the edge using a razor blade.

The US does not mandate cars read in MPH. You just have to make sure your not speeding!

Any of you guys do just the opposite? Create a KPH overlay for a MPH speedometer?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any of you guys make speedometer overlays?-speedometer-02-06-17.jpg  
    1987 2CV faux Charleston edition (One of many other makes)

Mount Carmel, TN. (Outside Kingsport) USA

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Citroen%202CV?sort=2&page=1

Send a Pm to Greenblood.

If he doesn't have have one, he has the capabilities to to produce one.

Nice work . When we changed over to KPH in the early seventies there were lots of adhesive stick ons available. We just got so used to the conversion that if we are driving a classic with MPH now ,we kind of know the important ones for speed limits!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

An elegant solution is a mechanical convertor

Mechanical speedo converter kph to mph

Many types around

Or use your iPhone to display your speed and leave everything else standard

Tadpole

I dealt with this issue by buying a kph speedo from ebay. When it arrived I just connected it up and it worked perfectly.

I don't know what the tolerance for speeding fines (such as cameras and radar destection) is in the US, but if you use the existing 60/80/100km/h you may get a fine depending on how accurate the speedo is. For instance your 35mph marking is on the 60km/h mark.

60km/h = 37.5mph
    80km/h = 50ish mph
    100km/h = 62.5mph

Given you are making your own overlay, perhaps consider calibrating the speedo to suit, with its own bespoke markings from a GPS calibration.

I've grown up with both MPH and KPH speedos, so on the oldies have tuned into 60 being 'just over' 35 and 100 'just under' 60mph – which surprisingly from a check is about right on each car. I just see the old speedos as just another part of the character of the car, being different from their home market specification.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post

Many types around

G'day,
    we used a mechanical convertor when we went decimal, a bit easy to run off the dial, though.
    There are lots and lots of free apps.
    Two of my favourites are the N.S.W. government one called speedadvisor which uses a gps signal to know where you are and a little voice tells you to slow down. There is probably an equivalent over there.
    The other is 'Speedometer' with four presets and a loud buzzer.

Any of you guys make speedometer overlays?-img_0893.jpgAny of you guys make speedometer overlays?-img_0892.jpg
    Last edited by pug206gti; 12th February 2017 at 01:29 AM.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

I'm married and have no need for such a device.
    badabec likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post

Many types around

I was aware there were speedometer correction devices but figured finding one to fit my car might be a challenge but that might be the best solution for both of my cars.

Unfortunately that link says they are out of stock. I'll look on Ebay.

I do know that the speedometer in my Trabant is spot on. I drove down to the county courthouse (about 25 miles) and used Google Maps and compared. The were the same.

Fiat speedometers made by Veglia are notoriously inaccurate for some reason. The one on my Spider reads 5 mph higher up to around 55 mph, then past that reads 10 mph higher. The inaccuracy may just be more linear. But I was using the GPS on my phone. So I checked the speed against my Ford Explorer and it was the same.

My Fiat 124 Spider car came with 13" 80 series tires. I'm running 14s with 60 series. That maybe throwing it off.

Also I think with age, speedometers loose their accuracy. I was running a 140 mph speedometer in mine from a 1970 model. The main reason was my tachometer died so I had one from a 70 model but it was a "deap dish" type so I used the speedometer to match it. Eventually it got to where it was reading something like 20 to 30 mph higher than normal. This was what it was doing at 65 mph before it gave up the ghost. So I had to take a photo of it for kicks.

In 1979 or around that time, the US government ordered that the speedometers in cars could not read more than 85 mph. I guess to discourage people from going above that. Well someone thought the law was stupid so they repealed it.

I can see why. When I was a teenager, I wanted to see how fast my 86 Honda Prelude would go. The speedometer read 160 mph. I found a stretch of interstate I thought it was safe to "open it up" and got the car up to 140 mph. That was quite scary. I didn't think the car would go that fast. My 81 Prelude would only top out at around 80 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I don't know what the tolerance for speeding fines (such as cameras and radar destection) is in the US, but if you use the existing 60/80/100km/h you may get a fine depending on how accurate the speedo is. For instance your 35mph marking is on the 60km/h mark.

60km/h = 37.5mph
    80km/h = 50ish mph
    100km/h = 62.5mph

Given you are making your own overlay, perhaps consider calibrating the speedo to suit, with its own bespoke markings from a GPS calibration.

I've grown up with both MPH and KPH speedos, so on the oldies have tuned into 60 being 'just over' 35 and 100 'just under' 60mph – which surprisingly from a check is about right on each car. I just see the old speedos as just another part of the character of the car, being different from their home market specification.
    I've always heard that the police ignores measured speeds up to 5 mph due to the inaccuracy of most speedometers. I don't know if this is true or not.

Dad ran into this with his 1976 Chevy pickup. The truck came with 16" tires. Back in the 70s, you could get 16.5" wheels, for whatever reason. The speedometer read slower than the actual speed.

He was in neighboring Sullivan county and got pulled over for doing 6 to 10 mph over the speed limit. He told the police officer that he was driving 55 mph. The police officer so, "OK, I'll give you a choice, I can either write you a ticket for speeding or faulty equipment".

If I write you a ticket for faulty equipment, you'll need to take the truck to the Chevrolet dealership in Bristol and have the speedometer recalibrated. They were the only place in the area that had the ability to do this. That way once the calibration is complete, the ticket will be thrown out.

The cost of the calibration costed more than the speeding fine, but the didn't put any points on dad's drivers licence.

So it wasn't a real win/win situation.

Hi Guys,

I have new large KPH 2CV speedo glasses. They were done here with the help of Greenblood a while ago. The printing on the original glasses falls off over time, and this is a quick professional fix. Its on an exchange basis.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

JBN

I honestly think that worrying about which units speed is measured, in a 2CV, is close to entering the realms of delusion.

John
    garyk and stefan like this.

1000+ Posts

French speedos were regulated there in 1976. Australia adopted the same formula in 2006.

The formula is (in kph): True-speed < Speedo-speed < True-speed x 1.1 + 4
    So for a true speed of 100kph, the speedo can read between 100 and 114. It must not read less than the true speed.

Thread Information