Traction clutch.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AllenM

Thread: Traction clutch.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Traction clutch.

Is there a reason why I would not fit a 4 cyl. Traction clutch plate with a sprung centre to a Big Six with a solid centre plate. Has anyone done it.
    Allen.

Advertisement

I have fitted a worn 11CV clutch friction plate to a single plate 6H. A new 11mm thick 11CV plate is too thick. Are you sure that this particular 6 is a single plate or is it a double friction plate. The latter is a whole different ball game!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

You were quiet right Gerry the new 4 cyl. clutch was too thick at 10mm. I have bolted it up with a slightly used 15CV disc. measuring 8mm thick. When you look at the prices I feel that faced with this problem again I'll look at using the thicker clutch plate and have the flywheel and pressure plate machined back by 1mm each.
    Thanks for your input.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by AllenM View Post
    You were quiet right Gerry the new 4 cyl. clutch was too thick at 10mm. I have bolted it up with a slightly used 15CV disc. measuring 8mm thick. When you look at the prices I feel that faced with this problem again I'll look at using the thicker clutch plate and have the flywheel and pressure plate machined back by 1mm each.
    Thanks for your input.
    Allen
    Allen, What year model is this six that you are doing up?
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Gerry, It's a 1951 and has been in Queensland for many years that I know of. I've just fitted new pistons and sleeves and timing chain tensioner, as you would have seen. When I got it there was no exhaust manifold, the ring gear spider was broken and the geny. and fan US and the radiator blocked. No brakes and the tyres were beyond use. It had a knock in two cylinders which quietened a little when it warmed up. Piston slap in two and broken rings in another two but the bottom end was good and had ID rods and slippers. It will never be a looker only a goer. I'll get back to the 11BL for the looker.
    Allen.
    Traction clutch.-dscf5114.jpgTraction clutch.-img_7030.jpgTraction clutch.-img_1287.jpgTraction clutch.-img_1090.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Traction clutch.-img_1090.jpg  
    lozenge likes this.

A Great Car Allen! It makes me wish that I had my old 6H still!
    Last edited by gerrypro; 12th February 2017 at 12:43 PM.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Guys,

I'm very interested in your posts re changing over the clutch plate on a six. When you change to constant velocity driveshafts you need a clutch plate with a sprung hub!

I've bought a late H Van clutch plate which has a sprung hub, as its a bit more heavy duty than a 4cyl traction plate. Its 10mm thick?

So I suppose this plate will have the same thickness problems?

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Thread Information