C5 speedometer issues
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 speedometer issues

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are proud owners of a 2002 C5 hdi. Although it has been a great car over the 2 years or so we have owned it, recently we have run into an odd issue... Our speedometer seems to be reading a consistent 20kph below the actual speed (estimate). Any ideas as to what may be going on, and (hopefully) recommendations on how to rectify this glitch?..

Thanks in advance,

Advertisement

Tyson and Maria

1000+ Posts

Speedo needles, all makes, sometimes slip on their shafts, or even crack around them. They are essentially a friction grip. Worth a very close look, just in case you are losing the first 20 kph rotation before it grips.

If the needle doesn't work, or only goes so far, it may be that the gear drive internally is damaged or slipping on its shaft. A tiny stepper motor drives the gears which hold the needle mount.

Tyson,
    If your speedo is reading 20km/hr below the correct speed (as per gps) across the whole range ( reading 20 when doing 40 and reading 60 when doing 80) then I think Seasink is correct with the slipped needle suggestion. If it is reading a variable amount low across the range then I suspect you have a meter/motor problem.

Check the very recent link below for another link to a youtube video to show how to get the panel out and adjust the needle and replace the motor.

C5 Speedo error

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Was the needle slipped, ok now, thanks everyone.

agd123

Fellow Frogger

S1 and S2/facelift C5 dashes differ. The speedo motor on the original version quite often snaps an axle that is part of the casing and the little cog (often green) at the bottom then gets stuck, jumps or falls out of mesh. The quick fix is to swap the tacho motor over as it is the same. It is possible to repair a broken speedo motor by replacing the little axle, but it is fiddly and it's better to find a used part or obtain a repaired item. Changing the whole cluster has possible problems re the odometer, so don't make that swap blindly. I don't think the S2 speedo and tacho motors are the same as the S1 version and are soldered to the board from memory.

Tadpole

Thanks everyone! I will get onto checking it out ASAP!

Thread Information