leaking DS Heater matrix
  • Register
  • Help

Default leaking DS Heater matrix

I have a leaking heater core in my d special. It appears that it is leaking from the base hard to tell exact place.

Looking through previous threads importing a replacement part from overseas seems to be the normal option.

I don't want is need a powerful heater I just don't want a leak. The bypass option is one possibility but I would like some sort of heater.

Also with the design of the inlet valve does heat migrate up the outlet tube and heat the matrix a small amount even when heater valve is off?

Has anyone has experience in repair of these via a radiator shop? I was thinking of taking this to penrith radiators on batt st which is near to European autocare - has anyone used them?

Advertisement

Also the heater control valve seems ok when I blow into it it is off. Is this a conclusive test?

Alex

I have removed one and had it repaired successfully by a radiator shop. This was in New Zealand, and the main issue was not leakage but poor flow. Any good shop ought to be able to repair it for you.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

I had mine done (same issue) at a radiator shop here in Melbourne. Wasn't cheap, mind you...

Fellow Frogger!

Had mine cleaned out cost $20
    The heater switch had a crack in it replacement from Holland was 120

Sent from my F1f using aussiefrogs mobile app

Hi Alex
    I just had mine done locally at Fuel Tank Repair Service in Brisbane. About 240 for a quality replacement core and the original top and bottom tanks. Greg did a really nice job. Currently trying to decide what to do about the valve. Last one I got overseas the quality was abysmal.
    Cheers
    Mark...

Sent from my SM-G935F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Hello, I got rid of the plastic Citroen tap and coil. I made a plate from 1/8" brass, soldered on a 15mm copper 90 degree elbow and a short length of copper pipe (15mm copper is standard household plumbing in UK). For the tap I used the heater valve from a TX1 taxi cab. The open and closed positions are the reverse of the Citroen tap, so I took the tap apart and swapped the lever around.
    Tap came from ebay, about AU$25, not sure about postage
    On the old Citroen tap, I chopped the coil off, didn't make any difference at all. It didn't close properly, took it apart and used a ball bearing to extend the length of the operating rod. Then it would close. It just looked too fragile, with silly sods resting their arms on it, hence the taxi conversion.
    Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leaking DS Heater matrix-dsc00488.jpg   leaking DS Heater matrix-tx1-taxi-brass-heater-control-valve.jpg  

Peter - that is awsome a great solution.

Was the ratio of the linkage for the valve similar to the original citroen unit & therefore do the heater controls in the cabin have a similar range of movement to original?

Alex

Hello Alex, slightly less movement, I arranged the cable so that midway on the dash was midway on the valve. The lever goes almost to the ends of the red and blue sections.

Peter

It is most often the valve that leaks. Valve is sealed to the core with an O-ring. Cores are incredibly long lived. Valves are fragile. Do not lean on or otherwise disturb during routine service operations.

Do the dance. Do the Daffyduck dance using the Aussiefrogs app. Be real happy if you can.

Repop valves are available but difficult to find and they are pricey. I've had good luck with them.

Do the dance. Do the Daffyduck dance using the Aussiefrogs app. Be real happy if you can.

Thread Information