• 3 Post By Vincenzo
  • 1 Post By ds21bvh
  • 1 Post By Greg
  • 1 Post By Vincenzo
  • 1 Post By ds21bvh

Thread: 1973 Dashboard powdercoat with Desert Charcoal - first test

Default 1973 Dashboard powdercoat with Desert Charcoal - first test

Hi,
    My first test run with Prismatic Powders Wrinkle Desert Charcoal has come back and I have to say that I am quite pleased. Not overly ecstatic, but then anything less than NOS is never going to do that..

Advertisement

I sent my glovebox lid and center console to be the test pieces. My guy was worried that the center console might melt in the oven but it was fine!

This picture is low resolution of most of the lid:
    1973 Dashboard powdercoat with Desert Charcoal - first test-dashboard-low-res.jpg

This is a section of the full res picture for that extreme close-up view:
    1973 Dashboard powdercoat with Desert Charcoal - first test-dashboard-extreme-closeup.jpg

Colour wise it is quite close to an original dash that I am using for comparison. The texture is finer than original. Worryingly, there were glittery sparkles when the direct light caught it at a certain angle. It probably will not be an issue when installed in the car.

Cheers
    Vince
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

Hi Vince
    Roberto from Robertos Custom Powder in Brisbane has a powder which is almost exactly as original. Just a tad darker and the pattern is exactly the same. If your not committed itv
    might be worth a call to find out what he uses....
    Cheers
    Mark...

Sent from my SM-G935F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Vincenzo likes this.

Forgot to add - no sparkles either. As close to original as Ive seen....

Thanks for the tip - I'll contact him tomorrow and see if will send me some. The sample swatch that I got from USA looks different enough that I wonder if they send the wrong product. They had their chance and your guy sounds much better.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -

I've been in contact with Roberto to see if he will sell me any powder but alas no. He wants to protect his process. I've offered to send the dash to him but no reply as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Hi Vince
    Roberto from Robertos Custom Powder in Brisbane has a powder which is almost exactly as original. Just a tad darker and the pattern is exactly the same. If your not committed itv
    might be worth a call to find out what he uses....
    Cheers
    Mark...

Bikes -

Hi ,

I've had a couple of dash's done by Roberto (for myself and another owner), and they are excellent. Yes possibly a tad darker, but the instrument binnacle plastic is actually black, so it blends well.

I think he's as good as you can get?

Best regards,

Greg
    Vincenzo likes this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

I'm hoping to hear back from him on my offer to send my dash over, in a constructed box. I'm at the point where this project has dragged on so long, and gone so over budget, that when it comes to something I'm going to see every time I drive - it had better be good. I don't want to be thinking 10 years down the track "I wish I'd spent that extra $200" whenever I see it... learnt that lesson the hard way. A tad darker has to be better than 'sparkles in the sunlight'. Okay then, glitter to tell the truth..

New box of panels arrives from Europe tomorrow!! Including door seal rails - same ethic. My old ones would still work as munted as they are. But everytime I open a door.... etc etc This might be why the budget has been truly blown and then some.

Bikes -

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I'm hoping to hear back from him on my offer to send my dash over, in a constructed box. I'm at the point where this project has dragged on so long, and gone so over budget, that when it comes to something I'm going to see every time I drive - it had better be good. I don't want to be thinking 10 years down the track "I wish I'd spent that extra $200" whenever I see it... learnt that lesson the hard way. A tad darker has to be better than 'sparkles in the sunlight'. Okay then, glitter to tell the truth..

New box of panels arrives from Europe tomorrow!! Including door seal rails - same ethic. My old ones would still work as munted as they are. But everytime I open a door.... etc etc This might be why the budget has been truly blown and then some.
    I also plan to buy door panels. What color and where did you bought them from?

Hi Pierre, I didn't buy door panels - backend inside boot panels left and right, elephant ears and parcel tray attachments. A clutch of C Pillar bits. The only bits door related are new rubber holders for all the doors. I bought them from ds-sassen. They came as grey from some sort of protective coating.
    Pierre Boulanger likes this.

Bikes -

Hi Vince,
    I've done this successfully with wave dashboards in the past.
    A box is the only safe way to sent these things through the post - believe me..!
    I've found it easiest if you organise the delivery and pickup and all that needs to be done by the recipient is putting it in and out of the box.
    I'm not sure what the regulations are between NZ and Aus - but for some overseas shipments the box needs to be constructed from certified timber or you need to have the box fumigated and certified once it's constructed.
    There are companies which can do this for you.
    I've also attached a few pics of Robs work - its first class.
    Cheers,
    Mark...

1973 Dashboard powdercoat with Desert Charcoal - first test-20170123_210706.jpg1973 Dashboard powdercoat with Desert Charcoal - first test-20170123_210718.jpg1973 Dashboard powdercoat with Desert Charcoal - first test-20170123_210724.jpg
    Last edited by ds21bvh; 10th February 2017 at 09:41 AM.
    Vincenzo likes this.

I wonder if he does red too!!??

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Hi Mark, those photos are how I expected mine to turn out. I will try to take a clear picture of the "full sun effect" for AuFrogs entertainment. The more I look at it the less I like it and can't justify putting it on.

Thanks for the heads up over the fumigation of the box - I'm not surprised really. I'm pretty sure some of the international forwarders will know who to contact.

Chur
    Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Hi Vince,
    I've done this successfully with wave dashboards in the past.
    A box is the only safe way to sent these things through the post - believe me..!
    I've found it easiest if you organise the delivery and pickup and all that needs to be done by the recipient is putting it in and out of the box.
    I'm not sure what the regulations are between NZ and Aus - but for some overseas shipments the box needs to be constructed from certified timber or you need to have the box fumigated and certified once it's constructed.
    There are companies which can do this for you.
    I've also attached a few pics of Robs work - its first class.
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170123_210706.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	93668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170123_210718.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	93669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170123_210724.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	93670

Bikes -

It was surprisingly difficult to photographically catch the effect of the sparkles in my test powdercoat, even in the brightest sunlight. Ironically the best representation was the out of focus shot!

These photos were taken with a low height sun trying to simulate what I might see in a late afternoon drive. As one's head moves the sparkles glitter in a most pleasing way for a sequined showgirl party dress. Not so suitable for a DS dashboard methinks.

1973 Dashboard powdercoat with Desert Charcoal - first test-_mg_3704-copy.jpg1973 Dashboard powdercoat with Desert Charcoal - first test-_mg_3709-copy.jpg1973 Dashboard powdercoat with Desert Charcoal - first test-_mg_3713-copy.jpg

Bikes -

I quite like it!

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Verdict from the boys in the shed is that it will never be noticed. It is so close to original out of the direct sun that it might be worth doing it anyway. The chap in Brissy never got back to me and I will try him again.

Bikes -

Thread Information