DSuper5 throttle linkage
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: DSuper5 throttle linkage

Default DSuper5 throttle linkage

Hello, the rebuilt engine is back in and running. The rod from the throttle pedal passes through the linkage and is pulled up by two springs. On most cars I have seen, there is a nut at the top end of the rod which doesn't seem to do anything.
    Should that nut be run down the thread until it touches the linkage or does the throttle rely on the two springs to pull the throttle open?
    In the picture below (not my car) they seem to have both options covered, nuts at the linkage and one right at the top.
    What should there be?

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSuper5 throttle linkage-img_3439.jpg  

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

The nut right above the barrel pulls the linkage down. The springs pull it up. The nut right below the barrel keeps the upper nut tight so it doesn't unscrew (at least when the cars were new). The nut at the very top keeps you from scratching your arm on the top of the rod when you reach over to remove the #4 spark plug wire or some other chore at the back of the engine.
    UFO likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Thanks John T. At the moment I have no nuts at all above the barrel, so the throttle is opened by pulling down on the springs. I thought it may be a Citroen design to even out the throttle response when crossing the ploughed (plowed) field, a sort of shock absorber.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Thanks John T. At the moment I have no nuts at all above the barrel, so the throttle is opened by pulling down on the springs. I thought it may be a Citroen design to even out the throttle response when crossing the ploughed (plowed) field, a sort of shock absorber.
    This is my car before cleaning and working in that area, no lock nut(s) above the barrel but there is a stop nut at the top of the rod. I believe this to be original and correct.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Yes, the barrel itself is threaded, so the upper nut is more of a lock nut than anything.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Hello, curiouser and curiouser. The barrel on mine isn't threaded. If I hold the mechanism by the tops of the springs, I can push the rod through, against the springs pressure. This is why I thought the throttle was pulled open and closed by the springs.
    Mine looks just like Chris's. I started to doubt when I saw another car with a locknut. I'll leave mine alone.

Peter

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, curiouser and curiouser. The barrel on mine isn't threaded. I
    Mine looks just like Chris's. I started to doubt when I saw another car with a locknut. I'll leave mine alone.Peter
    There seem to be different types of these. My rod that passes through the barrel isn't threaded at all. So it has no nuts above or below. It is actually an extension piece with a female thread at one end that screws onto the main throttle link rod from the pedal. section 142 and/ or 142-4 in the manuals 814 and 518 show some comparative photos of the types. The parts books will probably be quite useful here to.

Paul

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    There seem to be different types of these. My rod that passes through the barrel isn't threaded at all. So it has no nuts above or below. It is actually an extension piece with a female thread at one end that screws onto the main throttle link rod from the pedal. section 142 and/ or 142-4 in the manuals 814 and 518 show some comparative photos of the types. The parts books will probably be quite useful here to.

Paul
    . . .bit confusing ain't it

Mine has a threaded rod and a threaded barrel as John T noted, with a lock nut on the underside of the barrel.

518 op 142-4 shows and describes the rod passing through a non-threaded barrel, no nuts as per yours Paul - I wonder if the differences have something to do with BVM v BVH

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    . . .bit confusing ain't it

Mine has a threaded rod and a threaded barrel as John T noted, with a lock nut on the underside of the barrel.

518 op 142-4 shows and describes the rod passing through a non-threaded barrel, no nuts as per yours Paul - I wonder if the differences have something to do with BVM v BVH

Cheers
    Chris
    The parts manual does show two different part numbers.... 142-99C for the DV and 142-99B for everything else (except BW transmission). No clue why one would be threaded and the other not. Bottom line is if you have the unthreaded barrel you need a nut top and bottom of the barrel, otherwise not.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Thread Information