20 litres drums of LHM
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 20 litres drums of LHM

Default 20 litres drums of LHM

I know this has been discussed before, and I know the Total distributors in Melbourne will sell you an 20 litre drum, but dont seem to be able to get anything around here. I did get a rough quote from Repco for an 20 litre Penrite drum, at something like 385 Dollars! Any clues please?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

EAI sell Ferodo branded LHM in 1 litre bottles for around $12 each and can deliver. Unless you refuse to fix your leaks, you will take a very long time to use 20 litres.
    JohnW likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The local bolts and fastener store in Ballarat sells LHM in 20litre drums. Why don't you look at the total website and see who the Sydney distributors are ?

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Bad Bertie likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    EAI sell Ferodo branded LHM in 1 litre bottles for around $12 each and can deliver. Unless you refuse to fix your leaks, you will take a very long time to use 20 litres.
    My leak will be fixed, but i am sure there will be others, and maybe other Citoens. Trust me 20 litres can go quick, as I been there and done that.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    The local bolts and fastener store in Ballarat sells LHM in 20litre drums. Why don't you look at the total website and see who the Sydney distributors are ?

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I did, and it seems it has no distributor around here, or maby under an different name.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

seeya,
    Shane L.
    How much they selling them for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    Onshore Oils are the national distributor for Total LHM+
    They will sell 1ltr or 100 and anything in between - it's been a while but my last purchase was for a carton of 16 x 1ltr bottles at around $120.00 from memory.

Give then a call - (07) 3348 8388 they will deliver anywhere in Aus.

Cheers
    Chris
    Bad Bertie likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Give Jason H a call. I think he gets it in.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

For a drum you could try the Sydney distributor, Motor Oils, http://www.motoroilsaustralia.com.au/page/total. 20L should be treated as wholesale.
    Bad Bertie likes this.

My last purchase of one 20l drum of LHM+ from Onshore was about $200 but I did pick it up in Brisbane.

Cheers, Ken
    Bad Bertie likes this.

How about I check out current price of 20L here in Melbourne and go forward from there?

Can oil be transported in Aircraft (- coming up soon to Sydney, I could bring 5 litres to tie you over for a while)?

John

1000+ Posts

Seriously you can buy it here at normal prices. Why not, unless there is a super bargain somewhere?

Agreed that it should be available locally (SYD) at around $9.00 / litre. But then you know, it depends who answers the phone or who is attendance at the other end.

John

PS: I'll be visiting Sydney in a couple of weeks and 5 L within our case would be no issue (if allowed on aircraft) and Bad Bertie comes to MEL occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Seriously you can buy it here at normal prices. Why not, unless there is a super bargain somewhere?
    Bad Bertie likes this.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

I don't want to start a fluid war, but have you considered using Lubriplate minus 70 hydraulic oil? There is a lubriplate distributor about 30 Km outside of Sydney. In the USA, Lubriplate sells for about $110 for a 5 gallon pail, which is almost 20 liters.

Superior Lubricants
    22 Oramzi Rd, Unit 10
    Girraween,NSW, Australia 2145
    Phone: Toll Free (1300 607 950)
    Fax: 02 9636-9399
    JohnW likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    I don't want to start a fluid war, but have you considered using Lubriplate minus 70 hydraulic oil? There is a lubriplate distributor about 30 Km outside of Sydney. In the USA, Lubriplate sells for about $110 for a 5 gallon pail, which is almost 20 liters.

Superior Lubricants
    22 Oramzi Rd, Unit 10
    Girraween,NSW, Australia 2145
    Phone: Toll Free (1300 607 950)
    Fax: 02 9636-9399

I will just add that the -70's specs are just about a dead ringer for LHM+ . The only material difference is that it has not been dyed green. Sort of a very pale yellow color out of the can - basically the same color LHM/LHM+ are prior to being dyed. A number of us have been using it for years (in my case going on 24) in all manners of LHM based cars.

And for those wondering what the actual difference between the two versions of LHM are - it comes down to the VI (viscosity index) or the ability to resist changes in 'fluidity' between hot and cold. LHM was 320 - LHM+ is 340. Not a big deal for manual shift cars - but can require some minor adjustments with BVH based cars.

Steve
    Bad Bertie likes this.

Try Green Goanna at Granville. They are on Wentworth street just off Parramatta road. They won't have it in stock but they may be able to get it in.

1000+ Posts

Penrite's LHM is in stock at Penrite dealers all over Sydney. I can buy it within half a km. A wholesale quantity of Total is only a phone call away.

Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    Try Green Goanna at Granville. They are on Wentworth street just off Parramatta road. They won't have it in stock but they may be able to get it in.
    Yeah, i know that place, but i tthought they were more into cleaning products. Iwill check them out , though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Penrite's LHM is in stock at Penrite dealers all over Sydney. I can buy it within half a km. A wholesale quantity of Total is only a phone call away.
    Penrite is too dear!

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    How about I check out current price of 20L here in Melbourne and go forward from there?

Can oil be transported in Aircraft (- coming up soon to Sydney, I could bring 5 litres to tie you over for a while)?

John
    Thank you John , but I wouldn't bring oil on a plane!

Yeah, i know that place, but i tthought they were more into cleaning products. Iwill check them out , though. Thanks.
    I've never seen cleaning products there Bert. My workplace buys most of their oil from there.

no airline would let anyone transport 20 litres of LHM onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Even with the odd leak, I'd guess 10 litres in 12 years, most from one cracked HP pipe! That's the CX.

Xantia, not a drop other than a couple of failed spheres over 10 years, and fluid super-clean when sold. So, 1-2 litres.

BX, few leaks but the odd failed sphere and return line. I'd be surprised if it was more than 5 litres in 10 years.

I'd struggle to justify keeping more than 2-3 litres in stock at home. Personally.....

JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

The wonderful design of the Xantia LHM reservoir ensures more LHM is required than normal.

With Xantia's, their LHM container setup is so bad that when the car is 20 or more years old, every time you go to remove the filters and clean the LHM container, there is a good chance one of the rubber return hoses (that typically have two 90 degrees bends each) will snap due to the brittleness of the rubber situated at the rear of the hot engine bay.

CXs and BXs had their LHM container down low, less rubber return hoses with no sharp bends and situated in front of the hot engine.

A proper design for the Xantia would have been to run all the return hoses (preferably nylon rather than rubber) into a manifold situated high on the firewall, with just one rubber hose to the LHM container (without any right angle bends).

I bought some 1 litre Total LHM from CCCNSW for $15 per litre. Conveniently delivered to me at the last meeting where I parked my car next to the one that brought along the LHM. OK, 6 litres cost $90. Petrol costs about $50 each time I fill up. The car cost me $2000. If money is such an issue, sell the car, get a push bike or walk and cancel the gym fees.

John
    JohnW, Armidillo and Greg like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Bad bertie,
    I was looking into it in Adelaide a while ago and I totally understand why you would want to keep 20l on hand. 1-2 l to top up the fluid while you wonder whether you have a leak or not, then 2 L to get you home once you figure you really do have a problem. Another 2L while you figure out which pipe to repair.... and so on. Keep looking. I think Penrite where around $380/20L when I last asked and Total was too expensive to ship to Adelaide. I could get a good price if I bought a 200L drum of it, but couldn't get more takers than about 60L worth.

Cheers, Erik
    Bad Bertie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information