• 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By Mitchell
  • 1 Post By 4cvg
  • 2 Post By Mitchell
  • 1 Post By Bad Bertie

Thread: 2 x New 19R400 tyres (H van) for sale

Default 2 x New 19R400 tyres (H van) for sale

Howdy all,

As a result of clearing up some parts I'm unlikely to use - it's time to move on the Firestone 19R400 H Van tyres (also have a new complete exhaust system). These tyres have been unavailable for some time.

Would have been appropriate to put them in the for sale section I guess...but thought few would look there for something so specific(?).

PM me if you are interested.

Advertisement

Regards,
    Rhys

1000+ Posts

It would be useful to potential buyers were you to advise the date of manufacture (as indicated on the sidewall). If they are greater than 10 years old, then their use is ill-advised for anything but static display.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    It would be useful to potential buyers were you to advise the date of manufacture (as indicated on the sidewall). If they are greater than 10 years old, then their use is ill-advised for anything but static display.

cheers! Peter
    Depends on how they have been stored. In a cool dark environment they are probably OK. People are getting decidedly anal on this issue.
    jaahn, Wildebeest and Bad Bertie like this.
    Cheers Gerry

Probably rightly so, the Gayndah boys had a spare wheel blow while under the bonnet of their DS23 Safari, causing a lot of damage.

Don't know the complete story but the tyre was old, and they're a bit religious about how old the tyres are in any car they drive now.

Years ago you put the tyres under your bed for safekeeping, but the compounds now are different?

best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Greg I would suggest that under the bonnet of a DS is the second hottest place you could store a tyre. The hottest place of course is under the bonnet of a CX. If you want to increase the amount of heat you could always live in Gayndah!
    Bad Bertie likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

The tyres have been installed in the the correct dark, cool environment.

I recommend anyone seeking 19R400's to buy them brand new ....and made yesterday.

Not sure if anyone has made them in the last eight years though.

Regards,
    Rhys
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Default Tire age !

Hi
    Some time back while looking for information I saw a statement on Contenential Tires site that stated roughtly, they had seen no evidence to indicate there was a finite life for tires. Tires should be regularly inspected for signs of damage or problems. They then recommended as a general statement 10 years could be considered for changing.
    Looking again now I cannot see that and the 10 years is the only statement. Got to keep them tire sales going I guess, admit nothing that might be construed otherwise !!
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 4th February 2017 at 10:19 AM.

1000+ Posts

OK, at the risk of being anal (better than being cavalier, I suggest, given the importance of tyres):

Some of the dangers to tyres' compounds are indeed heat, light & oxygen related but some are not. So, yes, you will increase the viability of an unused tyre by storing it hermetically sealed, cool & dark. You will not, thereby, eliminate all problem. The difficulty is the loss of some of the more volatile compounds which are important for the (difficult to satisfactorily achieve & maintain) bond of "rubber" to steel belt. The widespread modern use of Pirelli's invention of the zero degree nylon overlay ply helps to resist the tendency of the belt to detach under distorting forces but, to my knowledge, the Firestones do not have this. So, the major danger is belt separation.

The usual rule of thumb is that one will have noticeably diminished wet grip at 5 years of age & significant risk of structural weakness at 10 years. If manufacturers are self-interested in this, then it's not to sell more tyres more quickly than dictated by the state of the old tyres. Rather, it'd be to avoid the litigation dangers of failed tyres. (Coincidentally, Firestone had experience of this with new tyres on Ford Explorer SUVs some years ago.)

Hopefully Rhys will soon post the date of manufacture & potential buyers can make their judgement in accordance with their risk tolerance & planned use.

cheers! Peter
    lozenge likes this.

No - Rhys won't.

Any of the few that may have a need for this size of tyre...... can PM me if they are interested.
    jaahn and Wildebeest like this.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I am happy with some people being anal if that is what they want ! But having regard for this application my comments might be thus; If the potential buyer proposes to punt his H van along at triple figures, and corner it at large g forces and carry high loads then they would be advised as Rhys said to buy some new ones
    Other more normal persons with these vans( lucky buggers ) may be completely satisfied with these for their use ? IMHO
    Jaahn

PS I have found that a lot of common rules of thumb can be traced back to a commercial interest rather than fact. But I have been know to be wrong sometimes
    Last edited by jaahn; 4th February 2017 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    No - Rhys won't.

Any of the few that may have a need for this size of tyre...... can PM me if they are interested.
    Oh! Well said that man. From the Rhys we've known from back in the day.

Hi Jerry,

The Gayndah boys DS23 safari, is like most of their cars, never gets used, so the engine bay is rarely ever hot.

The story was they were getting the safari ready for Easter a few years ago, fitted new tyres to the road wheels and a new old tyre (from under the bed) to the spare?

BANG!
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

1000+ Posts

Good luck to all of you; some of you might need it. I'm relieved that the deep secret of the tyres' age will be revealed to potential buyers. (And to Jaahn, two closing comments: the stresses involved do not have to be as severe as you imply & this particular rule of thumb is based on fact - its status as a rule of thumb merely reflects variables like manufacturing quality, usage . . . .)

cheers! Peter

Of course, the H van being a sluggish slow coach, a blow out would be unlikely?
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    Of course, the H van being a sluggish slow coach, a blow out would be unlikely?
    Of course it would be less likely than the same tyre type & age in other, more vigorous, uses.

I note that old tyres (older than these) have blown out at rest with but the static weight of a vehicle on them.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Of course it would be less likely than the same tyre type & age in other, more vigorous, uses.

I note that old tyres (older than these) have blown out at rest with but the static weight of a vehicle on them.
    Hi
    I find that hard to believe ? Another urban myth ? Any facts or are we in a post fact period here too
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

I had a 4WD spare blow with no weight on it whatever! It was mounted on the back of the vehicle (admittedly in the sun).

Greetings all,

I concede that a for sale post in a general discussion area – is entitled to attract some unrelated discussion.

I have provided no more information on the tyres …..in part because I’ve elected not to inconvenience myself by travelling to the location of the tyres to find it out………and in part because it’s no one’s business - except for a potential purchaser.

The tyres are pristine, rare (and expensive). They are sought after because they provide a superior final drive ratio to the benefit of H Vans.

The resulting tyre waffle only serves to confuse a simple scenario of potential benefit, to a specific minority.

Should Chicken Little’s neurotic cousin fear the risk of combustible tyres, I encourage a new Public Service thread be generated. Perhaps that thread’s name could reflect the content that follows?

Regards,
    Rhys

1000+ Posts

First, the discussion is relevant to the sale item.
    Second, my points are not neurotic but well-established in the field.
    Third, I had thought that A.F. aspired to greater civility than you display.
    Fourth, to reply in echo of the tone of your response: get stuffed.

Would a hug make it all OK for you.......?

Thread Information