• 2 Post By Greg
  • 1 Post By WShawyer
  • 1 Post By Richard W
  • 2 Post By lamoor

Thread: Citroen H van in Sydney

Tadpole

Default Citroen H van in Sydney

Hello all,

I posted on here about 18 months ago asking for advice on how to find a citroen H Van that I could convert into a food truck here in Sydney

Well, I found one and here she is. She's a 1970 LWB hi-top which I eventually found in the UK and had restored. Following this she was shipped over to Oz and fitted out with a kitchen when she arrived here. After a few tweaks here and there to get her roadworthy for NSW, she's now earning her keep as The Fancy Banger food truck in and around Sydney. If you see us around come and say hello.

Advertisement

Citroen H van in Sydney-tfb-0138.jpgCitroen H van in Sydney-tfb-0026.jpg
    Last edited by Ricardo; 2nd February 2017 at 09:38 PM.

Ricardo,

That's a super H Van. Looks great. Now if anyone sees this out and about in Sydney, they will have to take a photo and post it on this thread.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

Extraordinary - what a story! Congratulations on realizing your dream - hope she now helps you make a lot of money!

Cheers

Alec

Icon6

G'day Ricardo,
    it certainly looks the goods.
    Do you work on Sundays ? On the third Sunday of each month there is a small event called ...
    French car owners monthly tyre kicking day

Attendance varies from 4 to 20 or so. A very informal get together, but we would all like to see you, [and the truck].
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

Looks great, a CCCNSW member has done a similar thing for his coffee business.

Sent from my ZTE T620 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day Ricardo,
    it certainly looks the goods.
    Do you work on Sundays ? On the third Sunday of each month there is a small event called ...
    French car owners monthly tyre kicking day

Attendance varies from 4 to 20 or so. A very informal get together, but we would all like to see you, [and the truck].
    That would be fantastic! Especially if you do coffee. I need to take my new 205 along to a tyre kicking day now that it is registered. Twould be very cool if there were an H Van there too...
    parry likes this.

kool kitchen, have you got some funky app to track it so Sausage heads can find you?

Icon6

G'day,
    'Sydney Food Trucks' or similar on the app store
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

1000+ Posts

Tadpole

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try and get along to a Tyre kicking session one weekend. Sorry, I don't do coffee. We are a sausage grill only.

That's right Les, we are on the Sydney food truck app. We also announce where we are on our insta and Facebook page.

What you need is one of my H van money boxes for the tips....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen H van in Sydney-img_3477.jpg  
    GreenBlood and flipperman like this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    It's a pity they only referred to it as "mostly used on farms". H Vans were everywhere and regarded as the truck that saved France. Back of a camel, heart of a lion and snout of a pig.

Read more on Julian Marsh's excellent Citroenet site

[IMG]
    Celebrations of the 150th annivesary of the 15th arrondisement in Paris - featuring classic Citroen cars by Craig, on Flickr[/IMG]
    flipperman likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try and get along to a Tyre kicking session one weekend. Sorry, I don't do coffee. We are a sausage grill only.

That's right Les, we are on the Sydney food truck app. We also announce where we are on our insta and Facebook page.
    G'day,
    only on the third Sunday.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Thats a ripper restro. great job. Ex horse float is it?
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Tadpole

From what I understand it's an ex farm van. The extra height must have been for horses/cattle.

There is two more H Vans at Port Botany waiting to be picked up at present.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    There is two more H Vans at Port Botany waiting to be picked up at present.

Best regards,

Greg
    Are they at Port Botany because they arrived in containers? I ask as Port Kembla is the RoRo port for NSW.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Craig

Yes Port Botany, they came in a container. One van has 4 x sets of DS tinted glass packed in the back. Been waiting 18 months for it all to happen.

Best regards,

Greg
    mberry and UFO like this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    It's a pity they only referred to it as "mostly used on farms". H Vans were everywhere and regarded as the truck that saved France. Back of a camel, heart of a lion and snout of a pig.

[IMG]
    Celebrations of the 150th annivesary of the 15th arrondisement in Paris - featuring classic Citroen cars by Craig, on Flickr[/IMG]
    That's our van which I still consider the best CitroŽn that I have owned. I always said as I showed it off that it would be the last one also as it would go to the grave with me. That didn't happen, I couldn't look after it without a tall garage and so reluctantly I sold to to go to the UK when we started our move back from France. The last few months there, my daily transport was the rallye GS now sold to someone on the CŰte d'Azur. Even that may not be my last as now that my back has gone I could be comfortable in an XM or even a DS bvh, if I could find a reliable example. Don't mention C5s, one was enough.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post

[IMG]
    That's our van which I still consider the best CitroŽn that I have owned. I always said as I showed it off that it would be the last one also as it would go to the grave with me. That didn't happen, I couldn't look after it without a tall garage and so reluctantly I sold it to go to the UK when we started our move back from France. The last few months there, my daily transport was the rallye GS now sold to someone on the CŰte d'Azur. Even that may not be my last as now that my back has gone I could be comfortable in an XM or even a DS bvh, if I could find a reliable example. Don't mention C5s, one was enough.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Default How'd you do it!!

Hi Ricardo,

I'm in the process of purchasing on in the Netherlands at the moment (currently i'm based in London, but moving to Adelaide) are you able to give me a bit of a run down of what you had to do in order to import the vehicle? what sort of safety checks etc.. i'm a bit out of touch of Australian law on motor vehicles as I've lived over here for 10 years... I also couldn't find any of the H Van models listed on the SEVS website or RAW..

TIA...

Wilson
    Brett likes this.

You also need to be very conscious of the current interpretation of asbestos importation rules. See: Importing Cars and asbestos and Importing or exporting a car? then you better read this....
    Greg likes this.

Hi Guys,

My friend who imported a van last year and got it through with out an asbestos inspection, but has opted out of bringing his camper back due to the risk of an asbestos inspection.

Even if you change the clutch plate, head gasket, manifold gaskets and brake shoes with non asbestos materials, there is the problem of proving they are non asbestos. The documentation to prove they are asbestos free, must com from an authorised Border Protection approved laboratory.

They evidently often used asbestos in underbody proofing, so you getting into unchartered waters.

Good luck if you go ahead.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    We Had:

Default H van

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hello all,

I posted on here about 18 months ago asking for advice on how to find a citroen H Van that I could convert into a food truck here in Sydney

Well, I found one and here she is. She's a 1970 LWB hi-top which I eventually found in the UK and had restored. Following this she was shipped over to Oz and fitted out with a kitchen when she arrived here. After a few tweaks here and there to get her roadworthy for NSW, she's now earning her keep as The Fancy Banger food truck in and around Sydney. If you see us around come and say hello.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TFB-0138.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	93458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TFB-0026.jpg 
Views:	1544 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	93459
    v retro cool
    dimistyle and Jinandfonic like this.

Thread Information