SM vs DS IE clutch
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Default SM vs DS IE clutch

The part numbers for the SM clutch disk and the >72 DS IE clutch disk are the same 5 432 504, however, the clutch mechanisms have different part numbers. Does anyone know offhand what are the differences? I am curious whether you could fit an SM clutch mechanism to a DS IE or vice-versa.

Advertisement
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger

A total guess, but if they are not the same part and in the absence of any obvious difference, possibly the spring clamping pressure may be greater for the SM's more powerful engine. It may be mentioned in the technical data books somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    The part numbers for the SM clutch disk and the >72 DS IE clutch disk are the same 5 432 504, however, the clutch mechanisms have different part numbers. Does anyone know offhand what are the differences? I am curious whether you could fit an SM clutch mechanism to a DS IE or vice-versa.
    Hi John,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by clutch mechanism? The fork, dust boot etc are the same.

The slave cylinders are different between the BVH and SM - I've often wondered why they didn't just use the BVH slave cylinder on the SM.

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marc61 View Post
    Hi John,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by clutch mechanism? The fork, dust boot etc are the same.

The slave cylinders are different between the BVH and SM - I've often wondered why they didn't just use the BVH slave cylinder on the SM.

Cheers

Marc

Hi Marc,
    I was just using the language from the parts manual. The "clutch mechanism" is what I would normally call the pressure plate. The SM can't use the DS slave cylinder because the DS slave cylinder doesn't have any provision for bleeding.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Ah I see. It's probably stiffer springs like David suggests I guess.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Thread Information