• 1 Post By TimS
  • 2 Post By Greg
  • 3 Post By Greg
  • 2 Post By ScotFrog

Thread: Tip for the silver lining on DS dashboard

Tadpole

Default Tip for the silver lining on DS dashboard

Advertisement

I can recommend the Pilot Super color Silver (fine tip) for improving the silver color on various items on the third version of the DS dashboard. A steady hand is required since it is permanent. Note that this is not a replacement for the plastic chrome for the speedo unit.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    forumnoreason likes this.

I ended up using one of the adhesive kits however I imagine this technique would benefit from doing at least 3 layers to improve the opacity? Hope those little rascals who tag things don't identify your product endorsement!

Icon3

Le Pariisian has used Artline 900XF on his D Special restoration. . . Like Steven I have used the adhesive foil, still holding up well after 5 years. The soft silver from the pens does look good though.
    Metallic Markers | Artline

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ml#post1485893

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Hi Tim,

I gave the chrome trim sticker kit a go (Dirk Sassen and others sell it) and it works well on the flat surfaces but I could not get it work around the dials nor on the side window vents in the dash top itself... so I'll be using the pen there....

Cheers,

Mark....

Tip for the silver lining on DS dashboard-20170123_210706.jpgTip for the silver lining on DS dashboard-20170123_210718.jpgTip for the silver lining on DS dashboard-20170123_210724.jpg

I chimed in on this for the local supplied dash stickers awhile ago, the issue I detected was the decal needed to have film on the inner circumference of the sticker to provide some stability when peeling it back, which they don't, otherwise it is a helter skelter tongue out dexterity challenge. I also couldn't get the top vent ones on due to the restrictive space, you need to completely dismantle them to have access and that was too hard basket because need to replace obscure rivets. Got the dial ones on satisfactorily but still the process could have been alot easier. Interesting Sassen has them.

Hi Guys,

I'm the only supplier of the DS Chrome dash kit that I know of? I had to get a batch specially made as Dirk Sassen didn't want to stock them any more, as he had too much trouble with posting them.

To be honest, the silver pen is a waste of time. the dash looks like it been done with a silver pen, and the ability to clean the dash is about zero, because it does come off.

I not going to pretend that the dash kit I sell is perfect, but with a bit of care, you will have a dash that replicates how it looked originally. And yes, you will have to treat it with some care when cleaning the dash, but it won't rub off.

The side demister vents at the extremity of either end of the dashboard are the easiest to do, as they just flick out. They are of a plastic that can be resprayed with VHT satin black vinyl spray (as is most go the plastic used in the dashboard). It brings the part up to looking brand new.

I've included 2 pics of the side vents that have been sprayed with vinyl spray, and had the chrome trim attached.

The dash top, and steering column top can also be sprayed with VHT satin black, and they will look brand new.

I don't use anything other that VHT, as its actually liquid vinyl, and if the plastic is the correct type, it will soak in, and can't be scratched off.

Best regards,

Greg
    GreenBlood and mberry like this.

Tip for the silver lining on DS dashboard-img_2096.jpg

I back up Greg here.... the trick is to drink copious amounts of alcohol before you attempt to put the fiddly suckers on, so your hands are steady and your eyesight restored. But once you have mastered the art of sticker placement it looks 1000% better then the silver pen.

And after all: the dials and dash is the one thing you always stare at when you drive, so it needs to be looking good.

Sven

Greg I didn't want to set out to have a go so no offence intended! I do think the sticker for the dash dials speedo etc, be easier to apply if they had some way of peeling them off as a circle anyways I managed but it was tongue up the lip moments, : )

Steven

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure what the problems is re the chrome foil kits, I can only think your not applying them properly, and while a drink before hand, during the process, and a couple after do help, they really are easy to use. I've never had one complaint!

The foil is a three layer system. A top layer, which is semi clear, & cut so that each individual component can be careful removed from the bottom layer. The top layer peels off with the chrome trim still attached to it, and the top layer is oversize to that of the trim, so that you have something to hold while you place the trim in position on the part of the dash your working on. A pair of tweezers does help.

The chrome trims have been cut with extreme accuracy, so that positioning them correctly is pretty straight forward. Obviously the dial trim is probably the hardest as its fairly large, but the foil being still attached to the top layer means that it won't distort or go out of shape.

After your happy with the position of the trim, you press or rub the chrome section of the transfer, so that it adheres firmly to the plastic, then carefully peel off the top layer.

That's it! It's not prefect, but in the absence of anything else thats better, it work extremely well.

I'm not sure how it was originally done at the factory. Often the plastic parts are specially coated on the area that's to be chromed, and in the plating process, only that part of the plastic is chromed. On cars these days the chrome is sprayed on.

Anyway, the original plating wasn't that robust, and generally started to fade a few years down the track.

Hope this makes things clearer,

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

I doubt it was originally chrome as it tends to dull and wear off rather than peeling off. Quite possibly vapour deposited aluminium as used in headlights and probably on some badges etc.. The three instrument rings are certainly chromed as they do peel and can be removed as separate parts. They could be re-chromed as well as any other plastic item. The cut chrome kit is a good DIY solution and I've used one. Tweezers will help. The paint pen is certainly a simple alternative solution as would be a cotton bud applying model paint, but 'chrome' paints and pens rarely look like bright plated chrome or even vapour deposited aluminium.

Hi David

The instrument rings at the base of the instrument faces are definitely chrome plated plastic, but I think its the thin circular rings on the front of the instruments that was the problem with the foil.

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

Yes, that was what I'd meant. Most of the areas that look like 'chrome' are unlikely to actually be chrome, but most likely aluminium. The three removable rings are the plated items that corrode and peel.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm not sure what the problems is re the chrome foil kits, I can only think your not applying them properly, and while a drink before hand, during the process, and a couple after do help, they really are easy to use. I've never had one complaint!

The foil is a three layer system. A top layer, which is semi clear, & cut so that each individual component can be careful removed from the bottom layer. The top layer peels off with the chrome trim still attached to it, and the top layer is oversize to that of the trim, so that you have something to hold while you place the trim in position on the part of the dash your working on. A pair of tweezers does help.

The chrome trims have been cut with extreme accuracy, so that positioning them correctly is pretty straight forward. Obviously the dial trim is probably the hardest as its fairly large, but the foil being still attached to the top layer means that it won't distort or go out of shape.

After your happy with the position of the trim, you press or rub the chrome section of the transfer, so that it adheres firmly to the plastic, then carefully peel off the top layer.

That's it! It's not prefect, but in the absence of anything else thats better, it work extremely well.

I'm not sure how it was originally done at the factory. Often the plastic parts are specially coated on the area that's to be chromed, and in the plating process, only that part of the plastic is chromed. On cars these days the chrome is sprayed on.

Anyway, the original plating wasn't that robust, and generally started to fade a few years down the track.

Hope this makes things clearer,

Best regards,

Greg
    For anyone here that mastered the dark art of 'Letraset' or the final incarnation of "RubDowns" will know that you can use the low tack backing paper to good effect. It means lifting the transfer and lightly placing it back on the backing paper with 30% of the transfer over hanging the backing paper. In my experience it allows positioning of the transfer perfectly and then carefully sliding the transfer paper out as you rub down the transfer onto the plastic.
    I'm reading this knowing that it may sound a little confusing but, a video will no doubt help. I will try and make a vid when I next do a dash......... sometime soon.......

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I doubt it was originally chrome as it tends to dull and wear off rather than peeling off. Quite possibly vapour deposited aluminium as used in headlights and probably on some badges etc.. The three instrument rings are certainly chromed as they do peel and can be removed as separate parts. They could be re-chromed as well as any other plastic item. The cut chrome kit is a good DIY solution and I've used one. Tweezers will help. The paint pen is certainly a simple alternative solution as would be a cotton bud applying model paint, but 'chrome' paints and pens rarely look like bright plated chrome or even vapour deposited aluminium.
    Although there are others, the process is probably 'hot foil stamping' where a heated shaped tool, silicone rubber faced, is applied to the back of sheet foil to raised portions of the plastic, in this case the instrument bezel. The foil is transferred to the plastic and fused by heat. Then the backing sheet is removed leaving only the raised bezel edge 'plated'. The finish in the 70's was a bit fragile and did tend to wear prematurely. It's much better today. The process can also be used to transfer woodgrain to parts. The catalogue of applicable finishes is mesmerising.

SF.
    GreenBlood and forumnoreason like this.

Hi Guys,

I'm the only supplier of the DS Chrome dash kit that I know of? I had to get a batch specially made as Dirk Sassen didn't want to stock them any more, as he had too much trouble with posting them.

To be honest, the silver pen is a waste of time. the dash looks like it been done with a silver pen, and the ability to clean the dash is about zero, because it does come off.

I not going to pretend that the dash kit I sell is perfect, but with a bit of care, you will have a dash that replicates how it looked originally. And yes, you will have to treat it with some care when cleaning the dash, but it won't rub off.

The side demister vents at the extremity of either end of the dashboard are the easiest to do, as they just flick out. They are of a plastic that can be resprayed with VHT satin black vinyl spray (as is most go the plastic used in the dashboard). It brings the part up to looking brand new.

I've included 2 pics of the side vents that have been sprayed with vinyl spray, and had the chrome trim attached.

The dash top, and steering column top can also be sprayed with VHT satin black, and they will look brand new.

I don't use anything other that VHT, as its actually liquid vinyl, and if the plastic is the correct type, it will soak in, and can't be scratched off.

Best regards,

Greg
    Totally desagree I have used the silver pen multiple times from way back and it does not come off easily but you must not buy just any silver pen but the metalised version as shown in my thread.

Hi Le Parisian

I don't mind that you disagree, but its a bit like this:

If you want to have your dash look like it did when it left the factory, then the foil kit is the best there is. If you want your dash to look like it did when the car was say 10 years old, then the pen is fine.

The original surrounds were a bright chrome finish which deteriorated. The silver pen isn't a chrome finish its silver?

It's a bit like the headlamp housings, If you repaint them light grey, that pretty much how they looked new, If you paint them off white, that's how they look when they faded.

I understand that the original finish wasn't chrome as such, but it gave a bright chrome appearance.

I'm not saying the foil is the be all to end all, I wish there was some way with modern technology to replicate the original trim, but in a more permanent finish. Until that happens there are two options.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    We Had:

Default Metallic ink Marker

Hi Le Parisian

I don't mind that you disagree, but its a bit like this:

If you want to have your dash look like it did when it left the factory, then the foil kit is the best there is. If you want your dash to look like it did when the car was say 10 years old, then the pen is fine.

The original surrounds were a bright chrome finish which deteriorated. The silver pen isn't a chrome finish its silver?

It's a bit like the headlamp housings, If you repaint them light grey, that pretty much how they looked new, If you paint them off white, that's how they look when they faded.

I understand that the original finish wasn't chrome as such, but it gave a bright chrome appearance.

I'm not saying the foil is the be all to end all, I wish there was some way with modern technology to replicate the original trim, but in a more permanent finish. Until that happens there are two options.

Best regards,

Greg
    Hi Greg
    All I can say is you haven’t tried my silver permanent marker or you’re using a wrong type marker if you read my pen is says metallic ink quite clearly and gives a similar look to chrome, its permanent and won’t come off. I’m not sure that I would use stickers as eventually they will come off especially if scratched. My way I can sand it back and do it again so easily touched up. Check the picture
    Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170128_140749.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	93454

Thread Information