C5 2010 Interior door pulls deteriorating
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: C5 2010 Interior door pulls deteriorating

Default C5 2010 Interior door pulls deteriorating

We have a 2010 C5 with the pale cream/grey interior. The silver trim insert on the interior door pulls is sort of rubbing off and looks terrible. Is there a way of refurbishing it short of buying a new inner door panel? I notice that the trim on my friend's C5 which has a black interior seems to be much harder and smoother and does not suffer from the same problem. In our car, the door pulls are beginning to look decidedly tacky. The grey trim around the gear shift surround also has a sort of soft rubbery feel; on my friend's car it is a hard glossy black. Have other owners found a similar problem and come up with a solution?

Advertisement

UFO

Yes mine is the same - in fact it even has a worn patch beside where the gearbox Sport/Snow buttons are. I use Sport mode regularly on my drives to and from work and I suppose my left fingers have rubbed the cheap coating off. I am looking at removing the pieces (one day) and painting them.
    laurie_lewis likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default C5 Soft Feel Trim

Hi Guys,

The soft feel trim on Citroen C5's is a common problem, and other models have the same problem as well.

On the C5X7 the light interior has the soft feel, and on the dark grey / black, they use gloss black trim, which is much more user friendly

On the earlier C5s, you could clean off the soft trim, as it was only on the outer part of the door pull. The X7 is more complicated. The trim is in two sections. You can replace the outer section of the door pull, but if you take the soft feel off, you will have to take it off the second section, and this piece is part of the door trim.

The earlier C5 door pulls are relatively inexpensive, but the trims for the X7 are about $78.40 from me per side. That's about 1/2 the dealer price.

The inside face of the centre console is difficult as well. The chrome around the gear lever is a bit difficult to remove without damaging the plastic chrome, and the soft feel part is only available with the flip cover storage compartment.

The price for the two pieces is $253.68. The chrome around the gear lever is $63.18.

I don't keep anything in stock, but I order regularly, so it generally takes about 2 weeks. Prices don't include local postage.

The worst thing you can do with the soft feel is use Armour-all, or something like that, the silicon in it is what destroys the soft feel. I've found that a general household cleaner is much better(?). Jewellery, like big rings are a problem as well.

We replaced the Passenger side door pull on our X7, and just try not to put anything in the centre console. It's a fabulous car but seriously short on storage.

Contact me at: [email protected]

Best regards,

Greg

Fellow Frogger

The soft feel coating is fine when it's new, but deteriorates after a few years and becomes ugly and sticky. You can't do much with it except replace the trim part or repaint with something that suits the owner.

Another X7 problem, mainly affecting early cars, was the glovebox lid. It has one external pull and two internal latches, connected by a link bar inside the lid. If the link bar falls out of it's supports, then the lid will not function correctly. As the lid is rather expensive from Citroen, you have little to lose by splitting the two halves, refitting the bar, securing the supports a little and then gluing it back together with urethane sealant.
    ScotFrog likes this.

Thanks for that, Greg. All a bit depressing really. I can't see much point in replacing the door pulls as I assume the same thing will happen again. Was the fault was corrected on later models? So far, the inside face of the centre console is ok, but I will take real care to try to keep it that way. I feel that there must be some kind of hard gloss acrylic coating that would offer protection. Maybe I should look in some hobby stores. Jaycar perhaps.

The door pulls on my 2008 bought in 2009 Tourer seem to be holding up OK - no sign of wear. I can't say the same for the plastic surround though, it's been hacked by many hits with nicely filed finger nails. These have also scratched the paint on the outside of the door in the groove under the door handles.

I have lost the matt coating on the door handles down near the arm rest though which looks pretty daggy.

Cheers, Ken

Hi Allen,

We were lucky, only the R/H door pull soft feel embellisher was damaged, mainly from dress rings, so it was an easy fix. Our car is very low milage. I think if you intend to keep the car, and you know the problem, then most of the damage can be avoided, especially by sticking clear of silicon cleaners. Thats true for the LCD screens as well.

The problem with removing the soft feel on the removable section is fine, it's the parts that's not removable on the door trim.

Citroen have used the soft feel on lots of places, switch gear, embellishers on lots of models, and they all suffer the same problem.

I think just body fats and sweats from your fingers cause the surface to deteriorate.

They're built as throw away cars today, and nothing is really meant to last. It's a bit like removing any trim bits, it can't be done without breaking half of the clips.

But after S1 CX's and their door trim problems, The C5 is fine.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Thread Information