• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg
  • 1 Post By AllenM

Thread: TA timing chain tensioner.

Fellow Frogger!

Default TA timing chain tensioner.

Has anyone fitted a timing chain tensioner to a TA 6 cylinder motor, I ordered one, and a chain, but now canít see how to fit it. I fitted one to a 4 cylinder and it works very well. The unit is sold by CTA to suit 11CV/ 15CV and ID. The timing chain covers of the 4 and the 6 are not the same and thereby lies the problem, I believe. Any advice ? Allen.

Advertisement

Doesn't one of the bolts for the timing chain cover become a stud, and that is what the tensioner pivots on????

I've done one on a four cylinder motor, and have one for our 6 to be fitted.

A lot get confused until you fit the stud in the right position, and then it all makes sense.

Best regards,

Greg

Fellow Frogger!

In the six cylinder motor, unlike the four, all of the bolts are enclosed in the housing. Considering opening the hole, the third from the top left in the attached picture, to allow the fitting of the stud. Has anyone else done this.

TA timing chain tensioner.-img_0186.jpg

Allen,

I have no idea really but if I were in your situation, I would fit the chain and then install a stud in various trial holes to pivot the tensioner on until it seems the best fit, then modify the timing cover so it will go back on around the tensioner and its likely movement.

Cheers, Ken

Hi All,

Sorry for leading you up the garden path so to speak, re the fitting of the tensioner to the 6. Its a long time since I've worked on a 6.

There is a couple of things to remember here:

The tensioner when fitted to the 4 cylinder engine fits over a 7MM stud that is fastened into the block, and at the top with a nut and washer.

If this can't be replicated easily on the 6 cylinder engine, then you are better not to try and fit it.

These engines did huge milage without a chain tensioner, and its only after high milage that the chain stretches and can get a rattle.

Given that most owners doing an engine overhaul would start with a new chain & sprockets, and won't be doing the high milage that was done in the past, it would be nice to have the tensioner, but you don't really need it?

Best regards,

Greg
    gerrypro likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I've bitten the bullet, job's done. First as it sits in the modified housing the second as it sits on the chain

TA timing chain tensioner.-img_0192.jpgTA timing chain tensioner.-img_0198.jpg

Ken W likes this.

Excellent solution Allen!
    Cheers Gerry

Impressed, will make it easier when I do ours.

best regards,

Greg

Fellow Frogger!

A word of caution. Where the stud comes out through the housing it needs to be trimmed. A good smear of silicone around the stud, do away with the fiber washer, do the nut up and cut off the excess thread so as to avoid fouling on the three legged damper/ringear carrier.

Thread Information