Rebuilding Steering relay boxes
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Default Rebuilding Steering relay boxes

Is it possible to put early DS long stroke steering arms in a late DS steering relay housing? I have some late housings around and want to rebuild them to put on my '61 DS.

Advertisement
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Why not rebuild the early relays already on the car? I have done mine.

Roger

I wanted the car to be down for as short a period as possible. I figure once I get into the boxes I will find other things wrong and will need to get bearing balls, etc. My idea was to have them on the shelf ready to install before I took the car offline.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

It won't take long to rebuild them. Make the special tool to turn the nuts. Buy the balls in advance. The parts catalogue gives number and size. The balls are actually an imperial size despite their size being given in metric in the parts catalogue. A bicycle shop is the cheapest place to buy the balls apparently. I bought new old stock races but you might find yours are OK. The job is basically pull it apart, clean it, new balls, grease and reassemble. I drilled out a bolt and soldered a grease nipple to it to make a greasing tool.

Roger

In the states I can get one hundred 17/64 bearing balls for about $8, so that is not really a problem.

Are the nuts at the top of the relay housing different from the nuts at the bottom? Do I need to make two different wrenches or can I simply make something that looks like tool 1989-T (the flat spanner) to use on the bottom and also the top?
    Last edited by citroenthusiast; 22nd January 2017 at 08:17 AM.
    Cheers,
    John T.

I think they use the same tool but cannot guarantee it. It's more than 10 years since I did the job. I have a vague recollection I used a small drift punch rather than the proper tool because the nuts were not very tight. Once one nut is out the other ought to be easy enough to remove anyway.

Roger

Thread Information