My new purchase - Sassy the XM - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: My new purchase - Sassy the XM

I once had the cambelt give out in a Volvo 740 while waiting in the ferry queue in Sorrento. It was the last ferry of the day. The crew helped me push it onto the boat. The engineer came down and together we diagnosed the problem. From the ferry I called the RACV. The crew helped me push the car off the boat in Queenscliff, shutting the chainmesh gates behind me. The local RACV agent towed the car to his workshop. We stayed in Point Lonsdale overnight and next afternoon he had the cambelt replaced and we were on our way.

Roger

Advertisement
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by gsowner84 View Post
    Looks like the front left brake has frozen up on Sassy. Not sure what caused it. Left me stranded in Brighton. Could be worse as I was on my way to Queenscliff.
    It's a single piston caliper on slides. The slides may be dry, the piston could have frozen (unlikely), or it's possible the handbrake mechanism is stuck. Try releasing the cable on the left side and see if the lever operates. It's also possible the left handbrake cable has rusted and frozen up in the applied position. In that case, the cable at the lever might not go slack when released. The left one passes near the exhaust so the insulation eventually burns off exposing the steel. From memory, you can scrounge one from a C5 is necessary as it's just a fraction shorter.

It shouldn't be too hard to obtain any bits required, but if you get stuck send me a pm.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    A Xantia VSX with working hyperactive suspension is very close to the XM ride quality wise IMO I think the CX, GS, DS etc.... ride quality is a lot softer than the XM... They are a different car, built for a different time though. Without the modern comforts such as air conditioning (which is pretty important these days)

I'm sure he'll know the XM really well .. in no time at all

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hi Shane,

Have to say that was my experience also . When we got our 92 V6 XM auto (only one of about 50 or so brought into the US in the early 90's) I was quite disappointed with its ride characteristics - use to a well sorted out D with older style (as in rebuildable shocks). And all was in proper working order - IOW not locked in 'Sport' mode by a defunct diode in the sensor mechanism. Ordered a new set of 'comfort' units from IFHS and accidentally (should not do this stuff at 1 am in the morning) pushed the button for CX units . When they arrived I figured, what the hell, re pressurized, slightly, and mounted. Still not the ride I wanted. So removed and opened up the by-pass holes to the same value of integrated shock D spheres. Made one heck of an improvement with little change in handling characteristics. The by-pass holes control how the car feels over small undulations, tar strips, etc. Still not quite the same as a D - but real close

Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It's a single piston caliper on slides. The slides may be dry, the piston could have frozen (unlikely), or it's possible the handbrake mechanism is stuck. Try releasing the cable on the left side and see if the lever operates. It's also possible the left handbrake cable has rusted and frozen up in the applied position. In that case, the cable at the lever might not go slack when released. The left one passes near the exhaust so the insulation eventually burns off exposing the steel. From memory, you can scrounge one from a C5 is necessary as it's just a fraction shorter.

It shouldn't be too hard to obtain any bits required, but if you get stuck send me a pm.
    Thanks David. I have safely towed the XM back to my family home. I am able to use the handbrake so I think it is the cable has frozen up in the applied position. Will have a good look at it after I return. Thank you so much for the advice.
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

(Previously owned Frenchies - 1976 Citroen GS 1220, 1997 Peugeot 306 XSi)

Hi Syd,

I am sorry that you seem to be getting Sassy at her worst. The left hand front brake caliper was fitted new about 10 years ago as it was leaking. So the handbrake bit of the caliper should be ok. As David suggested it could be the cable itself?

On another note we are currently attending Cit-In in Tasmania, our first without Sassy.:-(
    gsowner84 likes this.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's and got the shits.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

This one sounds like the handbrake release cable. It is a "typical" XM type job to replace

ENJOY

You know, if you had bought a CX this would never have happened ( after all, how can a car that has a handbrake that never works ... even when you need it be a bother is it gets stuck on )

seeya,
    shane L.
    gsowner84 likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

So, it looked like there was a bolt that sheered right off the brake caliper.

Luckily, no significant damage to the brake rotors and calipers on the front left. The right side was checked for good measure.

Drove the car to work and love the comfort again. I am heading to Bendigo on Sunday morning and can't wait to take the XM.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    This one sounds like the handbrake release cable. It is a "typical" XM type job to replace

ENJOY

You know, if you had bought a CX this would never have happened ( after all, how can a car that has a handbrake that never works ... even when you need it be a bother is it gets stuck on )

seeya,
    shane L.
    My wife parked the C-matic on a slight slope with handbrake on. It was only the quick thinking of a cook at Maccas next door that saved the car venturing onto a busy road by throwing a bag of flour under the wheel.

Another time a neighbour used a brick to stop the wayward CX from going over an embankment into a creek.

I could sense the hand of God in these events as I still had money in the bank and the CX still had a craving for that money.

John

Funny this talk of the CX hand brake - I came home late one night and parked the CX and went sleep. Woken shortly after by someone banging on the door because the car was now neatly parked across the road blocking all traffic.

Another time it went backwards through a fence at the girlfriends block of units. I let the neighbour know thinking i was up for repair costs - they said not to worry as I was the first to actually fess up to damaging it and the rest of the fence was knackered from other cars anyway!
    Same place the dodgy French relays near the battery caught fire - ahhh memories! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger

On the XM, was it a caliper slide pin that broke or a caliper bracket bolt? I'd be interested to know so I can pay more attention to what is on my own.

The CX I owned in the 1990's was one I bought damaged. The owner's girlfriend had run the right front corner along a sloping retaining wall to pull it up after forgetting no brakes when not running and finding the handbrake wasn't very good! I took pity on the poor sod selling it with baby in hand and job just lost and took the thing on as a project. Served me well for some years, but the final straw was the heater core bursting and scalding my feet late one night. It became another morsel for Sims in the end.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi David,

It was the caliper bracket that sheered off on the front left. Made a horrible sound but it could have caused serious damage to the caliper and the rotor. I got away very lucky. Definitely worth checking on the XM.

Fellow Frogger

That seems unusual. It's not shown as a single use bolt in the XM factory manual, but some cars certainly have them. Tension to 10.5 mdaN. That's 105 Nm, which is tighter than your wheel bolts should be at 90Nm - yes there is actually a torque setting for them! Maybe, it's not a bad idea to replace all four caliper bracket bolts as a precaution? However, looking up the part, #4405.19 is no longer supplied, so it will be a matter of finding something the same size and tensile strength grade.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi David,

We were able to find something the same size and strength grade bolt. I would definitely check all four bolts out.

Fellow Frogger!

So, my partner and I did a round trip from South East Melbourne to Bendigo. Round trip of approximately 350 kilometres.

After checking the tyre pressures, radiator coolant levels and fuel, we leave hoping the XM lives up to its reputation as a long-distance cruiser in the vein of the Traction Avant, D Series and CX.

And it was truly superb. Sassy averaged 8.4 l/100 km at approximately 113 km/h. But more importantly, she was stable, refined and ever so comfortable. Whilst it not a D to drive, the XM has its own charm and less body roll. And she looked good in Bendigo.

I think about all the trips that XM Driver and XM Mechanic have had with Sassy, and we hope to add to her stories. Last night, she just ticked over 390,000 km. Whilst having its own issues, the fact that a car drives this good, after 22 years and so many kilometres is a true credit to its previous owners. Hopefully, Sassy can stay on the road for many more years.

PS: There is an interesting XM for sale in Victoria for $5000 on Carsales. It would be good to see it go to a caring home and see it at the various car meets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new purchase - Sassy the XM-img_20170423_130742.jpg   My new purchase - Sassy the XM-img_20170423_153409.jpg   My new purchase - Sassy the XM-img_20170423_153414.jpg  
    UFO, David S, DeKa and 1 others like this.

Fellow Frogger!

On sad news,

Sassy has been unwell of late. She refuses to tick over after the immobliser code has been set, and is making loud clunking and hissing sounds despite a replacement inhibitor switch.

I love her to bits but my partner and I need a more reliable car and therefore it is for sale. The visits to the mechanic are getting all too often. So far I have fixed the following:

Reservoir Coolant Tank - replaced
    Electric Driver's Window fixed.
    AC re-gassed and functional.

When starting, she is struggling to tick over in Park. In neutral she is more willing. It may need a new battery but it could need something more.

Of greater concern is the metallic sound she makes when you put her into 'D'. Even when she is up to temperature, she is struggling.

Offers around $1500 will be accepted. I do want her to go to someone who can either fix her or use the parts. She has registration until 2 February 2018. I wanted to get her to 400,000 km but Sassy has done 394500 kms.

If you are interested let me know.

Regards
    Syd

Syd.
    Sorry to hear about your XM. Does that mean the D will now be a daily driver?.....at least until the heat of summer reaches its peak. Good luck with finding a suitable replacement. Cheers, Kevin
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by k eeles View Post
    Syd.
    Sorry to hear about your XM. Does that mean the D will now be a daily driver?.....at least until the heat of summer reaches its peak. Good luck with finding a suitable replacement. Cheers, Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

The D will be my daily driver in the interim. Luckily I have a great car to rely on. And one that makes my day so much better. I would like to get another Citroen. Partner says no diesel which rules out the C5 X7. But will try to convince her.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using aussiefrogs mobile app

But will try to convince her.

Yes, do...Citroen make very nice
    diesels.
    gsowner84 likes this.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

Fellow Frogger

Syd, there are obviously a few things you could find are at fault (fuel pump, fuel regulator, idle valve, manifold vacuum sensor on firewall and it's hose to the manifold, wiring?), but have you read the thread about the governor in the auto transmission?
    XM V6 4HP18 Governor seals
    You could possibly have the sorts of symptoms you are experiencing if the governor inside the gearbox has split an o-ring. Fortunately, with the 4HP18 in your XM, it can be easily addressed in situ. Xantia, BX and others with a 4HP14 are not so lucky. It may be worth looking at instead of giving up on it.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

David S. You are truly special. We are lucky to have you on the forum. I don't think it's the fuel pump but at least I feel more confident about the XM being back on the road. I have someone checking it out over the weekend, and if it doesn't sell, will try and look at the Governor Seals
    Kind regards Syd

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Syd, there are obviously a few things you could find are at fault (fuel pump, fuel regulator, idle valve, manifold vacuum sensor on firewall and it's hose to the manifold, wiring?), but have you read the thread about the governor in the auto transmission?
    XM V6 4HP18 Governor seals
    You could possibly have the sorts of symptoms you are experiencing if the governor inside the gearbox has split an o-ring. Fortunately, with the 4HP18 in your XM, it can be easily addressed in situ. Xantia, BX and others with a 4HP14 are not so lucky. It may be worth looking at instead of giving up on it.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information