My new purchase - Sassy the XM - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: My new purchase - Sassy the XM

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Craig. Yes, I meant a professional detail would be the way I was leaning towards.

Kind regards,

Syd

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Please do not "cut and polish" it. You will kill the clear coat.

A professional (style) detail with multiple processes - paint clean, polish, wax etc is the best bet.

Advertisement

Mind you I am sure Sassy had plenty of those over her preceding years.
    UFO likes this.
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

(Previously owned Frenchies - 1976 Citroen GS 1220, 1997 Peugeot 306 XSi)

Default strut mount

Vincenzo, so did you figure out what causes the front strut mount failure, I heard the late xantia got modified design, did xm too.They are listed as no further production by Citroen.

Quote Originally Posted by gsowner84 View Post
    Thanks Flipperman. Is that your old BX on carsales? That was also tempting me as well.
    Yes it was.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by salman View Post
    Vincenzo, so did you figure out what causes the front strut mount failure, I heard the late xantia got modified design, did xm too.They are listed as no further production by Citroen.
    Simply a case of the rubber failing due to age. Both XM and Xantia received modified mounts in production after about 1997/8 and they can be identified by the bottom lip forming a metal ring like a top hat. That stops the inner part of the mount going through the outer and therefore saves the bonnet etc., but it doesn't mean the rubber will never fail. The XM parts are certainly NFP and I gather the Xantia would be the same.

1000+ Posts

Just because they are NFP in Citroen's parts database doesn't mean they are not still available:
    BIRTH FRONT LH SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING STRUT MOUNTS OE QUALITY REPLACE 51144 | eBay

Believe there is a company in Poland(?) that remanufactures them as well.

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

For those who like the XM, I think I have travelled around 1000 kms since purchasing Sassy. Left rear indicator failed but was replaced by my partner. She's enjoying the XM nearly as much as I am.
    XM Mechanic likes this.

SMM

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Just because they are NFP in Citroen's parts database doesn't mean they are not still available:
    BIRTH FRONT LH SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING STRUT MOUNTS OE QUALITY REPLACE 51144 | eBay

Believe there is a company in Poland(?) that remanufactures them as well.

Cheers

Alec

Lithuania
    Armidillo likes this.
    SMM

Current Citroen - : 1997 Xm Exclusive Series II

Previous Citroens: 2006 C5, 1991 Xm Series 1, 1999 Xsara 1.8, 1988 Bx TRI

Quote Originally Posted by salman View Post
    No I didn't -just that a man in the know said they were in a dangerous state (both of them) and they were no longer available. So I bought a DSpecial..
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

1000+ Posts

you need to check the pipe threads and the arm thread on replacement part because there are multiple sizes. I bought some from Lithuanian company specializing in refurbishing them, but we had to triple check the dimensions. Nice guy to deal with.

www.elastomer.eu - Citroen strut mounts

I've got some brand new suspension boots/ gaiters that were last set in Australia if you need them, I scrounged up an old pair at the same time I was replacing strut mounts, figured the new ones were too good to use on the xantia! Try finding these out there, nigh on impossible. Not made and not in stock anywhere!
    PM us if you want them. Cheers Steven
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 28th February 2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Armidillo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

For those who like the XM, I think I have travelled around 1000 kms since purchasing Sassy. Left rear indicator failed but was replaced by my partner. She's enjoying the XM nearly as much as I am.
    Does she put her arm out the window when you turn left ????

Richard
    gsowner84 and UFO like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Not quite. Luckily for me, she likes fixing and assembling things (and she wants more of a challenge then Lego) :-)

UFO

Not quite. Luckily for me, she likes fixing and assembling things (and she wants more of a challenge then Lego) :-)
    She's a keeper, and you certainly have an ultimate box of Lego for her to work on.

Fellow Frogger!

I know. I would not know what to do if I did not have a 'sympathetic' partner.

She's a keeper, and you certainly have an ultimate box of Lego for her to work on.
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

So my first real issue with Sassy.

On my way to work, warning lights appeared that said ABS not working. Pulled over, stopped and restarted the old girl and everything was okay.

Trying to leave the office, I punch in her code, crank the ignition and nothing happens. Any ideas what the issues could be?

Will try to jump start Sassy and see how that goes...

Regards Syd

The ABS warning is pretty common. It does come and go. You could check the ABS sensors at the wheels to see if they have the right resistance and separation from the disc.

Do you mean that the starter motor doesn't throw in? If so it can be a problem with contacts in the igniition key not providing enough current to get things in motion. A relay will fix that issue very nicely.

Enjoy the challenges and the fun,

Peter
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger

If it won't crank, you have the usual issues to consider plus the gearbox position switch (move the gearstick - try N instead of P) and the relays behind the left headlight, what should be the purple one being for the starting. It's the only one with a diode (remember if replacing) and you can temporarily bridge it to get the car to crank. If it will crank but not fire and the keycode is correct, then you might need to look at the wiring across the motor for the coils, which has a separate harness. The EFI is controlled by a couple of the relays behind the right headlamp.
    Last edited by David S; 17th March 2017 at 07:00 PM.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Peter and David for your suggestions. I'll try them out. For now I've left the car safely at work. Will give it a shot tomorrow.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hah.... The plastic is leggo is only about 1000 lightyears ahead quality wise to the plastic used in an XM ... Guess how I know .......
    JohnW likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I forgot to mention that I also had a starter motor failure. No warning just wouldn't turn. The glue that holds one of the magnets on failed and that was that. Access and getting a suitably priced replacement were interesting. Citroen liked putting the starter motor under the exhaust manifold.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    If it won't crank, you have the usual issues to consider plus the gearbox position switch (move the gearstick - try N instead of P) and the relays behind the left headlight, what should be the purple one being for the starting. It's the only one with a diode (remember if replacing) and you can temporarily bridge it to get the car to crank. If it will crank but not fire and the keycode is correct, then you might need to look at the wiring across the motor for the coils, which has a separate harness. The EFI is controlled by a couple of the relays behind the right headlamp.
    Yep, been here my self with intermittent starting problems. Look for the relay that does not match the other ones - it is very likely it has been replaced before for a car of your mileage.

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '71? Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Hi Syd,

When you try to start does it make the clicking sound as you engage start, like the starter is trying to turn?

The starter on Sassy was replaced about two months before you picked it up. The old starter had failed with all the magnets falling of the casing as mentioned previously. It was in good nick but not new. UFO probably knows more of its history.

I have also modified Sassy with a starter relay. (It never had one before) It is the light grey one above the left headlight with four black wires coming out. The Battery is about two years old I think. i.e.: It shouldn't be that.

Let us know how you go. Hope it isn't a starter. Its not the easiest job, but UFO is pretty good at it! It is one of the jobs that makes the statement in my signature true.
    gsowner84 likes this.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's and got the shits.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

UFO

In response to Garth's generous volunteering of my knowledge...

IIRC, The starter he used is one that Martin Bray supplied to me back in 2009 to replace a faulty one that had been provided recently. As I replaced the actual motor on mine with one from a BX before the replacement from Martin arrived, I did not use the replacement and supplied it to Garth and Jinny when I traded in my XM.

I concur with the last line of Garth's response. It is a job only slightly less frustrating than fitting a starter to a late D. The Bureau de Bastarde had their specialities...

Fellow Frogger

That BX item lasted pretty well I think! With the D6RA family of starters you can usually borrow bits from an incorrect unit to repair the one you need as they are all variations on a theme. The main difference is the cast nose, which you can fairly easily swap.

The flow divider and pressure regulator are annoyingly in the way on a PRV XM. The job's a breeze when they are removed!

The heat shield has to come out (or slipped aside) and then two bolts are visible at the bottom, while the third is over the back at the top and you come at it with an extension behind the flow divider. It should be a female hex head or maybe Torx, depending on the car's history.

It's really important that you hook the loop of the spring for the brushes under the metal tab on the end of the case and not just under the tab on the bakelite brush holder. I've fiddled with a few now and I can get this sorted out properly only by fitting the spring to the installed brush-holder without the brushes fitted. Then you lift each arm of the spring up and aside and slip in the brush, not forgetting the little plastic insulators between the spring and brush end. Dismantling is safer if you take the brushes out first too.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

So I had the starter motor replaced, coolant tank reservoir replaced and fixed the drivers side window.

Under braking, Sassy makes a loud noise and I can't​ quite work out why? Is it perhaps the ABS system? No errors are being displayed....

Fellow Frogger!

Looks like the front left brake has frozen up on Sassy. Not sure what caused it. Left me stranded in Brighton. Could be worse as I was on my way to Queenscliff.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information