Slough Built 15/6 H tyres & rims
  • Register
  • Help

Default Slough Built 15/6 H tyres & rims

Hi Froggers,

We have a Slough built 15/6H traction (with the Hydraulic rear end), that we hope to restore in the near future.

Advertisement

It will be a major undertaking, as it spent most of its later life out at Molong in the extremes of weather. The under body and sills are very rusty.

I'm posting this thread in the hope that it may help other Slough 6H owners in the future resolve the "what tyres and rims were fitted originally to this model in Australia.

Firstly, our car has only one serviceable road wheel, the others were rusted too badly to retrieve.

It is an accepted fact that the Slough built 6H cars came with French rims that are 185 x 400. Given that there were only 15 6H's that came to Australia in 1955, and around 10 are still in existence, the probability of getting French 185 x 400 rims in Australia is nil.

All other Slough Big 6's were fitted with English made 185 x 400 Rubery Owen rims.

I have been told that the English RO rims wouldn't fit the different brake drums on the rear end of the 6H, but I don't have a spare english rim to confirm that. My contact with other Slough 6H owners (including the Gayndah boys) confirms that they are all the French 185 x 400 rims. I do note that 165 x 400 rims fit the rear drums on the 6H, and that French rims, the centres are spot welded to the rims, and I think that the English rims are riveted, so the rivet heads may have been the clearance problem on the rear drums.

So the next question was: "What tyres were fitted".......

All Paris built cars were fitted with 165 x 400 tyres. That's well documented, but it appears they were also fitted with 165 x 400 rims as well. The reason behind this was that this was going to be the tyre and rim combination to be used on the future DS.

I was discussing my tyre size dilemma with an old friend, who also owns a Slough 6H, and also worked at Continental Cars in Punchbowl in the early '60s as a mechanic, and he confirmed the the Slough 6H's that came to Australia were definitely fitted with 185 x 400 tyres.

Evidently, the reasoning being that the 165 x 400 tyres were to narrow for Australia's poor roads at the time (though some might say STILL!). This does make sense?

I'm actually quite pleased that I can legitimately fit the 185 x 400 tyres, as the Fresh 6H cars with the skinny 165 x 400 tyres look too skimpy, and under tyred.

I have now located 5 late French 185 x 400 road wheels through Classic Automobile Service in Holland The French rims changed style a little in 1952, and went from full dish centre to a centre with 4 small openings where the centre meets the rim, so finding good correct rims proved difficult, especially when they weren't convinced I was buying the correct rims for a 6H.

Even their contact in the UK didn't agree with the French 185 rims.

I hope that this post helps someone else in the future and documents the unique wheel specs for a very significant Citroen Traction.

Best regards,

Greg

I also have a slough Big6 H which cam to me with 15 inch wheels and rims. from my research the H came with 165/400. I've written to more than one owner in England and have had the same answer. hope that helps. Good luck with the resto. Mines in paint but it's stalled at the moment. I have driven one for a few thousand kilometres in Europe and they are a fabulous car.

Hi Traction Fan,

Not sure if you read my article properly?

Firstly, no tractions ever left any factory with 15" wheels. Your car has had the rims cut down to 15" probably in the '70s when the 400mm tyres were hard to come by and expensive (they still are).

My posting was regarding the 15 6H's that came to Australia, and at the risk of repeating my self, all those 6Hs that I know of were fitted originally with 185 x 400 French rims, and the conclusion is that they were fitted with the larger tyres & rims because of our bad roads?

This probably wasn't the case for the Slough built cars for home consumption.They were probably fitted with French 165 x 400 tyres & rims

If you don't know the history of your car, i may be able let you know the original owner, if you send me the chassis #?

Best regards,

Greg

BTW, who is your father? Would be good to update the register with the present owner.

Contact me at [email protected].

Hi Greg. I was a previous owner of the car that John Greave has magnificently restored. I can confirm that it was fitted with 185x400 four slot French rims. However I am fairly sure that they are riveted and presented no problem clearing the rear brake drums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slough Built 15/6 H tyres & rims-my-6h.jpg  
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks heaps for your reply..........and your confirmation re rims & tyres.

I thought that you had had a traction some years ago, and you are also right, the French rims are riveted, and the English welded, so there goest my BS theory as to why they used the French rims???????

Good to also know that the other 6H was the John Grieve car. The Australian Motor Vehicle Census shows 15 Big sixes were registered in Australia in 1955, and that the first 6H registered was in March, so maybe all the 1955 cars were 6H's?

The only fly in the ointment here is that the John Grieve car was sold in 1956?

Anyway, I can definately account for 13 cars, and I think there is at least 1 car in Victoria that I don't have listed.

There is definitely one car that went to the crushers (Divid Livingstone's car), but he still has the hyd rear end. There is a front and rear end and front hull at DS motors Brisbane (ex Arthur Lewis).

There are two more out at Molong, 1 is restorable, but it would be your life's work, the other is too far gone and very incomplete, and the Peter Thomas car was destroyed on the 2003 Glenorie bush fires, so most have been saved.

The Gayndah boys have told me that they have sold their 6H (the Nebo Mail Car) to New Zealand).

It was difficult putting a listing together, as some owners are very secretive about what they have in the shed. Luckily when i salvaged the Citco Sales Ledgers, that went back to 1947, I took the info for the 4 NSW 6Hs I could find in the ledger The Census say 5 were sold?).

Having since given the Citco ledgers to the NSW CCC for safe keeping, 10 pages have been torn out of the main ledger as souvenirs by club members. Consequently there is now only 1 6H in the ledger, and a lot of early DS & Traction sales info has been lost (about 350 cars).

Best regards,

Greg

Greg, original 400 English rims are also riveted. Where you may be under the impression of welded rims is probably due to the fact that prior to 1950 400 mm tyres were very hard to come by here in Australia. The practice was to cut and weld on a 16 inch rim to the original centre to accept a 5.00 x 16 inch cross ply tyre. This of course did not do much for the handling and braking. I do not think that I have ever seen one of Michelins 'Pilote' tyres in the then correct 155x400mm size. My fathers 1938 11CL2 had the wire wheels which I believe were converted 'Rosalie' wheels fitted with a 16inch rim. When 165x400 tyres became available these were often retrofitted to this type of wheel and had enough stretch to sit properly on the bead albeit very tightly.
    The John Grieve car ( my old one ) was originally owned by Hank Dogger who owned Dogger Motors in Flemington. It may have been listed as being registered in 56 but would have been part of the consignment to the agents --Commonwealth Motors in A'Beckett Street Melbourne.
    I also used to see one regularly in Elizabeth Street during 1966-7-8. It often parked outside W,L. Ryans Ltd. It was purchased eventually by one Derek Moore whose mother I taught with in my early teaching years.
    Walter Burhardt from CCOCA was also doing one up and David Gries knows where that is now but good luck trying to get the info from him!
    So much for safe keeping of valuable ledgers when philistine members are allowed access!
    Oh and BTW I still have tractions-----a 53 Slough car ( my avatar ) and a 51 Paris built Legere currently under going resto!
    Cheers Gerry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Someone posted this for sale on facebook recently.... and said all the Citroens were for sale. You could possibly ring the phone number and see what that car has ?

i reckon you'll find someone that knows pretty much anything and everything about Tractions given the cars in the background of the for sale adds. No-one is going to drag home heaps of tractions and even a Big 6 unless they know exactly what it is they have!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slough Built 15/6 H tyres & rims-big6.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Gerry, I know you've mentioned it before, but what happened to Chris Ellam's maroon 6H? Did Kym Harding have one also at one stage or is that the Walter B. car?
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

No David. It is the Derek Moore car.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply, and contents noted........ Your memory seems to have suffered less than mine?

Some more info on you Doggar 6H would be good?

What colour was it originally, I have it as Peacock Blue with Tan leather, is that correct?

I also have it that it has the French Pullman front seats with high back rear seats? There are two others with these seats, they look great and are more comfortable the the English seats?

I have some details on the Walter Burkhardt car, like the chassis no, and that is was originally Sunset Grey and is a Vic car.?

Can you tell me more about the Derick More 6H?

I have no detail on the car that won the Victorian all French car day or is that it?

As I said before, the 1955 Census shows that 15 Big 6s were registered in Australia that year, and that Slough started production of the 6H in 1954, so you can assume that all the sixes sold in 1955 were Hs. The Victorian cars are the ones that are hardest for me to find.

I have the records for 13 cars, so it would be nice to put it all together.

Best regards,

Greg

Thread Information