Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By ajaxvte

Thread: D special: replacing brakes discs and drive shafts

Fellow Frogger!

Default D special: replacing brakes discs and drive shafts

Dear brains trust

I am about to embark on a journey to replace the brake discs (plus pads & springs etc for both hydraulic and mechanical calipers) and drive shafts on the D special.

The 814-2 manual suggests that it is a relatively straightforward job, with sufficient access gained by only having to remove the spare wheel, wings, spare wheel cross member and radiator cowl. According to the manual, one then removes the front wheels, drive shafts and hydraulic brake units, and then - wah lah! - the brake disc will come away together with the (pre-loosened) handbrake calipers, and then the whole process can be readily reversed.

Other advice I have had, plus my own observations, suggest a more complex process, and not for the faint hearted. This includes removing the under-tray and radiator, at the very least, as well as the steering rack, handbrake cable, gear change lever, and even the cross member across the gearbox. All simply to get access.

Even then, I more than suspect, access will be a b&[email protected]*rd, with quite fine tolerances for adjusting pads and calipers etc.

Advertisement

Does anybody have experience of this and advice/recommendations on the likely extent of the work?

Also, a more specific question is in relation to installing the studs for the brake disc and drive shafts on the differential flange. I want to ensure this is done correctly (! see previous posts...). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Alistair

Fellow Frogger!

Once the radiator and cross member are removed access is actually alright. You have to remove these anyway as they are bolted to the calipers. Undoing the bolts that hold the calipers to the gearbox housing is by far the hardest part. Aside from the reasonably high torque they are done up to, they are steel bolts in an aluminium casting which produces issues all of its own. Soaking overnight in WD40 is usually needed, even then I had to use a 2 meter piece of pipe on the end of a breaker bar to undo one of them.

the big pain is putting the handbrake cable back on, I can lend you the "special tool" if you want or make up your own with a piece of flat and two biggish cotter pins. Then it's bloody easy!
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    the big pain is putting the handbrake cable back on, I can lend you the "special tool" if you want or make up your own with a piece of flat and two biggish cotter pins. Then it's bloody easy!
    I can second that!

I used a length of threaded rod and a couple of big washers to compress the spring after I had threaded four lengths of wire between the first and last coils. Once compressed I used my wire twister to tighten the wires. I assembled the whole lot before cutting the wires.

Fellow Frogger!

Buy yourself a Ford/ GM door spring compressor tool. One of these:

https://www.amazon.com/AES-Industrie.../dp/B0025CXPYY

There are various brands out there. The ends are notched - which means there is room for the DS handbrake cable as you compress the spring. Cheaper than the Citroen tool and no risk of injury from flying cotter pins.

Remove the studs before trying to remove the discs . It gives you just enough extra room to retain some u damaged skin on your hands. They can be removed using two nuts locked together . Make sure you locktite them back in place .
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Hey Budge a piece of metal folded over in a u shape with 4 holes drilled in it and two cotter pins is cheaper than a compressor tool and is the special tool as in the manual. All you need oerwise is a sturdy vice. The pins don't fly out either.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 19th January 2017 at 10:48 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Id seen those collar things used but didn't know that was the Citroen solution. I need to study 814 more carefully!

I got myself a spring compressor last year after seeing a US video of engine removal. The guy used a nifty valve-like compressor. i couldn't find one on line, but stumbled across the door spring tool. No need for a vice.

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Id seen those collar things used but didn't know that was the Citroen solution. I need to study 814 more carefully!

I got myself a spring compressor last year after seeing a US video of engine removal. The guy used a nifty valve-like compressor. i couldn't find one on line, but stumbled across the door spring tool. No need for a vice.
    That's Steve (Citroenfan) in the video, the tool is a ZIM 122 (from memory) I have already posted mine to Alistair. . .
    They can be had for US$20.00 here, postage will cruel the purchase some, but, they make the job a breeze.
    Zim Valve Lifter & Spring Compressor 987335 122 - Midwest Technology Products

Cheers
    Chris
    ajaxvte likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

If you can't find the Zimm tool cheap another alternative is the spring compressor for a briggs & stratton engine. E.g
    http://tinyurl.com/zgyw9jo
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

Both of those look fine, but my GM compressor was half the price

Fellow Frogger!

Many thanks to Chris (Greenblood) who has kindly lent me his tool. From previous experience it works very well. I tried to order one from Midwest Technology Products, but they don't ship to Australia and when I had a go at them for not considering sending it FedEx or DHL etc, they then said they could only do so if I had a US based credit card from a US bank! Sounds like they truly are from the (deep) mid west...
    UFO likes this.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Many thanks to Chris (Greenblood) who has kindly lent me his tool. From previous experience it works very well. I tried to order one from Midwest Technology Products, but they don't ship to Australia and when I had a go at them for not considering sending it FedEx or DHL etc, they then said they could only do so if I had a US based credit card from a US bank! Sounds like they truly are from the (deep) mid west...
    hmmm, let's make America great again. . .

With that attitude you can see why De Franzose won't ship to the USA!!

Keep the tool for as long as required Alistair, I've no plans to remove those springs for some time to come.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Folks,

If you have problems with people in the USA who won't ship to Aust, get yourself a US Shopmate address through Aust Post and use that. Also works well for packages with free postage within the USA or outrageous overseas shipping charges.

Cheers, Ken

Thread Information