NOS or Reproduction - white height lever knob...
  • Register
  • Help

Default NOS or Reproduction - white height lever knob...

Does anyone have any leads at all...?
    I can't seem to find one anywhere and mine has crumpled to dust....
    Many thanks in advance...
    Mark...

Advertisement

NOS or Reproduction - white height lever knob...-20170117_201053-medium-.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Franzose sell a metal knob to replace the off-white knob on the heater control. It's cheap and cheerful and might be worth a try.
    https://www.franzose.de/en/Citroen-D...chbegriff=knob

EDIT: apologies - I can now see that your knob was moulded on the shaft. Heater knob will be screw thread
    Last edited by Budge; 18th January 2017 at 11:20 AM.

I have learnt something today, thanks Mark. The height control knob on most Dees is different from the knob on the earliest Dees. The earliest ones had the same screw-on knob (D334-2) as the original BVH lever.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Does anyone have any leads at all...?
    I can't seem to find one anywhere and mine has crumpled to dust....
    Many thanks in advance...
    Mark...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170117_201053 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	93022
    Hi Mark,
    Looks like you'll be after the complete knob/lever as an integral part, they were manufactured as a single unit #DX 437-6 A
    None of the usual suppliers appear to carry it, perhaps an email to Citroen Andre?

Failing that, a PM to Scotfrog for a clever 3D print - if the hole for the lever is a slot to accommodate the ridge on the lever? Or the knob is printed as two parts with a recess for the ridge and glued over the lever?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Depending on how much of a slave you are to originality, you could run a threading die over the bare end of the shaft then use a threaded knob. Alternatively, drill out the metal knob and attach with Loctite
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

you might even find something very close in appearance and fit off a UK car from the period or a Volkswagen, ventilation knobs or such

Denton at European Autocare would be a good person to ask, or Ian Steele?
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 18th January 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Many thanks guys for you input - lots of good ideas...!
    I was hoping for a good reproduction but being a RHD thing it's probably why it's not available.
    There are no knobs I'm aware of on the car that can be modified - the shape is distinct to this application.
    The only thing I can think might be close is the gearshift and height control lever on an early car as Roger has eluded to.
    Roger - any chance of a comparison...? Do you have an early and late car handy...?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Mark...

NOS or Reproduction - white height lever knob...-1956-citroen-ds19-3_featured.jpg

I found a whole unit on leboncoin whilst procrastinating working but that is pain in the a land. Give the Denton a call, he must have one if he still has all those wrecks.

Fellow Frogger!

When I looked more closely at you picture, it looks as though the knob doesn't screw on, but is moulded around the flattened piece of the shaft? I just went to look at my car ( a mid period car) and my height knob looks just like my bvh gear wand knob - only it doesn't want to unscrew like the gear wand knob.

Mark, none of my cars are early enough to have the original height lever. The early height lever with the early BVH control knob D334-2 stopped being used in late 1957. It is drilled and tapped M6x1. I think Bob Dircks has some, I recall getting a NOS one from him because the BVH knob on my 1959 DS19 was cracked. The white BVH knob D334-2 was used until 1961, when the slender black one tapped M5x0.75 (DS334-2) was introduced.

I have just been out and looked at my 1959 DS19 and 1974 DS23 safari. The height control knob on both cars (on the 1959 it is on the left; on the 1974 it is on the right) is identical in shape to the BVH knob on the 1959. Neither height control knob screws on, of course. Incidentally, I don't like the big chunky BVH knob on the 3rd dash cars so I had Bob turn one for me the same shape as the early one (D334-2) but in black. I also have a spare 2nd dash knob so I might try that on it at some stage.

Roger

That looks like pressed fit. Also shape remind me of removable screw driver handle! I think best way to find knob similar to original shape and size with thread. And make thread on the rod. Better put something there otherwise passenger might get cut or pants might get caught there.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Thread Information