Head lining on D Safari
  • Register
  • Help

Default Head lining on D Safari

Hey everyone!

Been ages since I've been on here, been busy with other things in life. I a was just wondering what people have used for the head lining on D Safari's? I was thinking about getting some 10mm thick insulation putting that in first then some foam backed beige head lining. Was thinking the insulation will help the foam last longer?

Here's a couple pics :-)

Happt New Year!
    Cheers,
    Ben

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Hey BushyBen, Your Safari is a mirror image of mine, so you must be Down Under. RHD. I'll see if I can post a picture of my headliner. Can't tell you the MM thickness of mine... a Pig Skin fabric. I did use strips of 3/8 inch (?) insulation laid down with contact cement in the grooves. I was excited to get that perfect headliner in... then I got frustrated when I couldn't find a 4 x 8 sheet of a thin stiff masonite(?) to use as the base, so I used 2 x 2 poster boards with contact cement. That was a mistake. And the Pig Skin fabric I had picked out was now unavailable, so I had to use a thinner fabric. Strike two. So be sure not to rush the project. The thinner fabric highlighted the seams. DUH. It looks OK, but it coulda shoulda been perfect. Any thoughts on how to open the hood if a wire breaks on the hood release, etc?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Head lining on D Safari-id21-safari-headliner.jpg  

Hello, to open the hood or bonnet as we call it across the pond, go to the manuals thread and download 814.1.2. On page 452 there is a drawing of the tool needed to open bonnets if the wire fails. You poke it through the gap between bonnet and bumper and into the hole in the catch. Give it a shove and the catch will open.
    Download 814.1 and 814.2, but save them to your pooter, don't keep downloading them. 648 as well

Hey James, thanks for your reply. Was it very expensive material you used for yours? It is nice seeing some one else crazy enough to pull their safari apart like mine.

Which year/engine etc is yours? Mines 1970/71 ID21 BVH :-)

I'm not going to be doing a show room restoration, just doing what I need to have a nice car. Of course doing a lot more then anticipated. ..

Cheers,
    Ben

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

Thread Information