My DS goes clunkclunk
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: My DS goes clunkclunk

Default My DS goes clunkclunk

While driving (in first and second gears in my driveway), turning the steering wheel results in clunkclunk noises coming from near the wheels in a manner I would associate with bad CV joints. Is that likely, or do these cars have their own special song that means something else? It is definitely worse now than when she first went up on blocks a couple of months ago, and has not been driven on the road since.

Cheers,
    Melanie

Advertisement

It's grease those driveshafts time. One grease gun and a guru can chime in on the appropriate goob.
    MelanieYlang likes this.

As forumnoreason says, but don't go mad with the grease gun. One or maybe two pumps is enough, any more and it will get flung all over the engine bay. Go on, ask me how I know
    Vincenzo, UFO and MelanieYlang like this.

Any degreasing or washing down of mechanical components whilst up on blocks? The comments are likely right, but....
    If, as you say, the car has been up on blocks, it's reasonable to assume things could have been released, even if they weren't the job at hand. It's pretty easy to take a phone call and come back to the car and forget to have tightened a couple of nuts. If the steering rack has been released, you would likely get a "clunk clunk". If the turning headlight mechanism has been put back incorrectly.... "clunk clunk". Grease is you friend ( in small quantities, as already stated ), and it always quietens things down, but it would be good to inspect and identify more accurately where the noise is coming from, even a degreased anti roll bar spring can give you a clunk clunk sound, just depends on what has been going on. The good thing is that a clunk clunk, should be relatively easy to narrow down to a particular component.
    Last edited by mberry; 17th January 2017 at 11:19 PM.
    MelanieYlang likes this.

I would bet the left drive shaft is suffering from not being lubricated, but as Michael says it could come from a range of things! My claim is based on personal experience and on it being a common issue and prevalent mainly in the left shaft, do a circle at low speed on hard left turn and see if it is clunkclunk clunking rapidly, then try in other direction. If it is not clunking to the right that might narrow it down. The grease nipples are on the end of the shaft tyre end, worth going around and giving the other greasing points a touch as well, the hubs have one on top and bottom.
    MelanieYlang, ajaxvte and mberry like this.

Thanks for your advice, tonight we did a general engine degrease + fresh grease. I noticed clunking still happening on both sides after the 30km return drive.

Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    As forumnoreason says, but don't go mad with the grease gun. One or maybe two pumps is enough, any more and it will get flung all over the engine bay. Go on, ask me how I know
    Judging from what I saw come out of the engine bay tonight after a wash, I wouldn't be surprised if the same kind of overgreasing happened to my car in the past, too! Anyway, tell me how you know?

At least it won't go rusty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My DS goes clunkclunk-dsc00254.jpg  
    UFO and Vincenzo like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Nicely done there peter! But I think you missed a bit? I can still see some paint

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    At least it won't go rusty
    True, that.

is it clunking only when you turn?

Does the steering feel ok? Is there play in the steering idlers or the track rods?
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

The clunking is only when turning more than 90 degrees. It's not loud - Paul didn't notice it as much as I did. I think it does increase in speed with the car's speed. The steering seems okay to me, although there is some play in the wheel that I took to be "normal" in these cars - I don't have anything to compare it with!

UFO

If the sound rate changes with vehicle speed then it is more than likely the tri-ax hubs that at least need greasing or they have worn to the point where they need a refurbish.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi All,

The grease nipple in a DS driveshaft only lubricates the spigot that sits between the two outer universal joints. Late DS drive shafts are double universal on the outer, and triaxe inner. The outer universals are not grease-able.

The triaxe was the one that generally wears first, and is available a a seperate part to replace. The outer uni's do wear out, as does the centre spigot, but are known to give a long life. The replacement for this outer section of the shaft is now a constant velocity joint, as its for easier to manufacture.

Citroen sold this type of constant velocity driveshaft as a replacement shaft for both the SM & the DS driveshaft after production of the cars finished.

best regards,

Greg
    MelanieYlang likes this.

Knock knock? This is no joke...as I posted on my CV joint thread, after much palavering took place, a garage undertook to remove the drive shafts and have them sent off for rebuilding, but they were so badly worn that they couldn't be. At least I can be fairly certain - maybe (See what I did there?) - that they were the source of the running knock-knock jokes coming from left and right. Is it possible that I will one day have a drivable classic that hasn't cost me my sanity?

Hello, sanity and DS ownership are mutually exclusive.
    MelanieYlang likes this.

1000+ Posts

Did not the car come from South Australia? That alone is a caveat.
    MelanieYlang likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Default clang clang

persevere, it is worth it.

i had a clang clang yesterday

a hubcap detached on a speed hump - clang clang

rear wheel

it disappeared completely

spent fifteen minutes searching the gutters and bushes for my precious Pallas hubcap

gave up, drove off .... terrible clang clang noise returned

instead of rolling along the road next to me it turned out that the hubcap went up into the cavity of the rear guard and lodged there

so - bonnet up, tools out, rear guard bolt undone, hubcap retrieved and smacked back on, guard back, tools stowed, off we went......

sigh
    MelanieYlang and Vincenzo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Did not the car come from South Australia? That alone is a caveat.
    This I now understand!

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    persevere, it is worth it.

i had a clang clang yesterday

a hubcap detached on a speed hump - clang clang

rear wheel

it disappeared completely

spent fifteen minutes searching the gutters and bushes for my precious Pallas hubcap

gave up, drove off .... terrible clang clang noise returned

instead of rolling along the road next to me it turned out that the hubcap went up into the cavity of the rear guard and lodged there

so - bonnet up, tools out, rear guard bolt undone, hubcap retrieved and smacked back on, guard back, tools stowed, off we went......

sigh
    That's a good story, glad you had a happy ending! Lucky those rear guards are a cinch to remove, eh?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Does the car shimmy at speed like an out of balance wheel as the speed increases I'm wondering if it doesn't have cracked suspension tubes that you can hear moving around.

Are you sure it's not a rollbar rattling away I re-assembled one ( I assume incorreclty) years ago, and it rattled like a normal car with flogged out rollbar bushes.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieYlang View Post
    Knock knock? This is no joke...as I posted on my CV joint thread, after much palavering took place, a garage undertook to remove the drive shafts and have them sent off for rebuilding, but they were so badly worn that they couldn't be. At least I can be fairly certain - maybe (See what I did there?) - that they were the source of the running knock-knock jokes coming from left and right. Is it possible that I will one day have a drivable classic that hasn't cost me my sanity?

Get a set of new Rzeppa drive shafts - Andre Pol and others will have them
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

I just installed new drive shafts. Ordered them from Citroen Classics in the U.K. If you are doing just the driveshafts, it is a straightforward job, as both the new and the old can be slid in and out through the hub. No need to take wings and brakes off etc.

If on the other hand (as I have just done) you are doing brake discs as well, that is another story altogether!
    MelanieYlang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Does the car shimmy at speed like an out of balance wheel as the speed increases I'm wondering if it doesn't have cracked suspension tubes that you can hear moving around.

Are you sure it's not a rollbar rattling away I re-assembled one ( I assume incorreclty) years ago, and it rattled like a normal car with flogged out rollbar bushes.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    No Shane, I don't think this was happening, it drove fine at speed. It seemed like a classic case of worn CV joints by the time I got it to the garage.

Cheers,
    Melanie

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information