Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mberry
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By mberry

Thread: DS brake unit niggles

Default DS brake unit niggles

I am having sealing issues with the pipe join plate of brake pedal unit, (outside the footwell) as I stripped the thread on one of the studs care of wrong nut (argh!) Now before I pull it all out I wanted to know if the two studs are removable so I can replace the dud one. looking at the photo of a replacement pipe assembly it would suggest from the rear of the joining plate that they are like an exhaust stud so quite possibly easily removable.

Anyone got knowledge of this?

DS brake unit niggles-screen-shot-2017-01-13-10.45.51-am.jpgDS brake unit niggles-screen-shot-2017-01-13-10.47.29-am.jpg

Advertisement

Every pipe joining plate stud I have encountered has been removable, so I imagine these are too.

Sorry that it's supposition rather than knowledge, but it's the best I can do.

Roger

'supposition" ..........the foundation of the forum.
    ds21bvh likes this.

I can now confirm the studs do come out, the bastard is coming out tomorrow and hopefully I've got one floating around in a box or I'll make one, don't think its the rubber o rings causing the misery but then again who f in knows! So close and yet.

Give me some credit for being honest please.

I recommend 4x2mm o-rings rather than AS008. They are slightly thicker and seal better. This statement is based on knowledge.

Roger
    mberry likes this.

apologies Roger I in no way meant in my reply that your knowledge was being questioned! Just confirming through observation. And I'll take on board the o ring tip, much obliged and as always appreciated!
    Bloody Citroens!
    Cheers

Thanks, but no apology needed. It wasn't you I was reacting to, it was Michael. And I don't think he was having a go at me either, just making a general statement.

I am glad the studs came out for you. I have found they sometimes unscrew nut with the nut.

It is worth replacing the o-rings so you get the full benefit of the squish of new rubber. It's green fluid so it uses nitrile: they will be cheap (a few cents) and easily obtainable.

Cheers,
    Roger

since I've had the majority of the DSpecial back together there have been several small leaks in the hydraulics that are p ing me off, the rack pipe connection is still weeping after alot of cajoling, new seals on that, but hopefully it'll all fall into place shortly, there's that sweet spot with pipe/ thread alignments that takes a fair bit of patience and actual skill to manipulate correctly to get thhe right fit. Going to start cutting the bottoms out of doors on weekend, last big job to finish car, not sure if I'll just do the removal and get someone else to weld as I'm a bit amateur still on the job, although my efforts on the boot repairs came up pretty good.

what really ticks me off is the replacement parts metal isn't he same quality in the original or the makeup of the material in them doesn't lend itself to easy welding, you need a fair bit of oomph to penetrate the old metal and the new stuff doesn't like it. So getting the settings right is tricky.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 13th January 2017 at 11:34 PM.

Managed to get it all back together and tested, new seals and NO LEAKS. Trick to joining is to have no bolts/ studs in place then fit the brake pedal unit, when it is poking through the bulkhead start with one bolt, fit the seal plate between the joining plates, then add next bolt then the last one, in this case a stud. Then tighten up. I used two bolts 6mm 1 pitch and kept a stud to use as two were ratted. I had tried by putting all three in on the brake pedal unit plate then trying to push them through onto the plate with the pipes going forward but that is totally dumb. Will never happen on this car. And probably anyone elses!

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Give me some credit for being honest please.

I recommend 4x2mm o-rings rather than AS008. They are slightly thicker and seal better. This statement is based on knowledge.

Roger
    AS008 quad (a/k/a x-rings) also work quite well and actually stay put in the sealing plate. Lapping the sealing plate on a piece of glass with some 600 sandpaper is also a good idea as the plate sometimes gets a burr when being removed.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

John, what's the difference between the o-rings you describe and ordinary AS008?

Roger

Roger,

A quad ring (or X-ring) has a roughly X-shaped profile instead of an O-shaped profile.

Advantages of a Quad-Ring Over an O-Ring
    ScotFrog likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

oh well not pulling that apart again now!

Definitely! If you got it together and have no leaks, leave it alone.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Thanks John, great information. I had never heard of them.

Roger
    citroenthusiast likes this.

certainly wasn't having a go Roger, was a broad statement and not meant to be negative.
    Roger Wilkinson likes this.

Thread Information