Miniature Railway Display - hunting for Citroens...
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By bleudanube

Thread: Miniature Railway Display - hunting for Citroens...

Default Miniature Railway Display - hunting for Citroens...

Maybe I am going mad, or just being sucked into the "everything Citroen" vortex...

Spent the last few weeks in Europe travelling around. One of the stops near my hometown was a visit to the "Miniatur Wunderland" in Hamburg - the world's largest model railway display - sounds a tad geeky, and I had my doubts, but it is brilliant! (Google it!) Even if you are not into railways as such, the effort and attention to detail the guys have gone to to set these displays up is breathtaking. Hundreds of thousands of tiny figurines, kilometres of tracks and a myriad of electronic wizardry to change lighting from day to night, exploding volcano, tidal waters, etc - stunning. They have covered the US, Scandinavia, Germany, Italy, Switzerland (with a 5m high Matterhorn!) and a fully functioning airport (with landing 747 planes) - we spent hours looking at the details and marvelled over the technical finesse of the setup.

here a few shots:

The new Hamburg Philharmonic:

Miniature Railway Display - hunting for Citroens...-img_4854.jpg

View of the vehicles on top of the Koehlbrand bridge:

Miniature Railway Display - hunting for Citroens...-img_4855.jpg

A Bavarian Oktoberfest scene:

Miniature Railway Display - hunting for Citroens...-img_4860.jpg

A Concert display - imagine gluing all those thousands of tiny figurines down (and painting them first!):

Miniature Railway Display - hunting for Citroens...-img_4861.jpg

The Rome display:

Miniature Railway Display - hunting for Citroens...-img_4863.jpg

Advertisement

Why am I banging on about this in a Citroen forum you may now ask... well: where there are railways, there are model cars, and where there are model cars, there are possibly Citroens. So, after quite a bit of hunting I indeed found them - however, very limited numbers only: only found ONE DS and a few H-Vans! Almost as rare a hen's teeth...

Miniature Railway Display - hunting for Citroens...-img_4865.jpg

Miniature Railway Display - hunting for Citroens...-img_4858.jpg

The DS was part of a "divided Germany" display placed near a Checkpoint, the H-Van was observing the UFO that made an appearance at "night" over some countryside... hence Alien Hunter!

Citroens are everywhere - just got to look closely...

Sven

Absolutely brilliant detail!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Great stuff Sven, but I didn't see any trains!
    I have a small model railway in my new man cave that runs along one wall. It is not scenicked but is instead an art deco inspired setup in black with two levels and bridges modeled on the Eastern freeway ones in polished Oregon timber. My trains are chosen for their art deco design (passenger trains) or bright colour schemes (freight). They are all digitally controlled with sound and some also with smoke and you can run multiple trains on the one line all doing their own thing. It is brilliant (and not geeky at all. I also have a few car transport carriages with my dream fleet of cars on board as you can get beautifully detailed cars in the same scale (HO- 1/87) so few a few bucks can indulge in what ever takes your fancy.

How is the 'blue danube' running these days?

cheers Tony
    cheers Tony

The Danube is fine, but has of course been sitting idle the past three weeks... but with temperatures forecast to go to 38 degrees this weekend I am sure I will be able to add some sweat patches to the seats over the weekend .

Sven

Fellow Frogger!

oh come on Tony.... don't tease us.... a couple of photos wouldn't hurt......

OK Jon, here are a few images

overall shot

both levels shown here

one of the oregon bridges (with head lights you might recognise below)

the other bridge with a Dreyfus Hudson NYC passenger train

bridge and central control

all aboard

cheers Tony

here are some of the dream fleet carriers

I have a couple more packed away waiting for inclusion

These are some of the nice little models. The HO scale ones are the three starting with the blue safari.
    The layout will be extended right around the garage with a removable section for the roller door and the door into the garage. The digital control adds another dimension to model trains. The problem is my sister gave my son her sons old scalextric set for christmas so that is another distraction. I have already bought a racing alfa 33/3 which is very fast, and I am going with my son to a slot car race track tomorrow with his porsche 917.
    cheers Tony

bonnie sacer

the images all look well.

Fellow Frogger!

wow i say wow..... looks super.... and i cannot help but notice that your dream car train has many the same cars i own or used to....
    ......e type, messerschmitt and lots of citroens.... so snap.

Thread Information