Michelin XWX price
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Michelin XWX price

Default Michelin XWX price

I was surprised how much these XWX tyres are from my local supplier. $597 each fitted. The size I am after is 205/70 VR 15. I need a pair.
    Does anyone know where i might get them cheaper.
    cheers Tony

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

The UK price converts to over $500. There was one sold second hand in the US for over A$400.

One thing to watch is the date codes on the tyres. If buying, make sure the tyres are in date.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hi Tony,

I went through this after I bought my SM. The two XWX tyres on it seemed to have been manufactured in 1989 and one was delaminating. The other two had already been replaced by Chinese tyres on the front that didn't feel very convincing. The ex UK XWX tyres looked better value than the Aussie distributor until I received a quote for shipping.

I ended up getting four Michelin XM2 in a 205/65 VR 15 size which happens to be a bulk cheaper size for less than $100 each and steering is much sharper and they are quiet quiet after the other tyres. The slightly lower profile helps with fitting on the rear and reduces gearing slightly which makes driving around town a little easier. See comments on this size on the SM wiki website.

Cheers, Ken.

gulp! I guess not owning an SM has its upsides...
    for calculating the effect of variations in tyre sizes,
    this is a good site:
    Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible
    JohnW likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Hi Tony,

I went through this after I bought my SM. The two XWX tyres on it seemed to have been manufactured in 1989 and one was delaminating. The other two had already been replaced by Chinese tyres on the front that didn't feel very convincing. The ex UK XWX tyres looked better value than the Aussie distributor until I received a quote for shipping.

I ended up getting four Michelin XM2 in a 205/65 VR 15 size which happens to be a bulk cheaper size for less than $100 each and steering is much sharper and they are quiet quiet after the other tyres. The slightly lower profile helps with fitting on the rear and reduces gearing slightly which makes driving around town a little easier. See comments on this size on the SM wiki website.

Cheers, Ken.
    The previous owner of Pajamas' SM had done the same. I drove that car several times on those tyres and they were fine.
    pajamas likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Michelin XM2 are a great tyre. Transformed my Prius from a billycart to a smooth and quiet rider (relative). Work wonderfully on lots of cars then.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thanks folks,
    I guess I am not going to get a much lower price than 600 bucks each.
    I am going to stick with the XWX as I have them on all four wheels with lots of tread. The problem is one of the fronts has worn on the inside edge due to a loose (steering arm or some such thing) bolt (now fixed). They are all about 16 years old now so I thought that I should at least replace the fronts. The XWX are also original spec and in my opinion look the goods.
    One a slightly different note what do you think of SM's with gris wheels as opposed to noir. If you look hard at some of the early prototype and production SM photos you can see that the wheels are grey like the DS I imagine, and to my eye they make the wheel look a little bigger as the eye reads the 2cm of exposed rim as wheel trim rather than tyre. Not original but not too far off the track. The reason I ask is that changing tyres is a good time to paint/powdercoat wheels.
    cheers Tony

1000+ Posts

I believe that you are making two errors & should change all four tyres.

The first is that any tyre of 16 years of age is dangerous in two ways (regardless of tread depth).
    1: the compound has changed such that wet grip is very severely diminished.
    2: the structure is now highly prone to failure (notably, the rubber to steel belt bond is weakened by compound changes).

The second is that the XWX, whilst updated by Michelin, is well beaten, on any performance parameter you care to mention, by some modem alternatives & the modem alternatives are vastly cheaper.

The suggestion to move to 205/65-15 (mild undergearing - 3%) is one to consider. Mind you, I recommend against the XM2 unless you have a tribal allegiance to Michelin. It is fairly crisp in response & is not avoid-at-all-costs "Chinese dreadful" rubbish but is mediocre under wet braking (probably the most important performance discipline) &, as better offerings are available, why bother with it?

Within 205/65-15, I suggest the newly released Dunlop FM800 for wet grip and reasonable crispness of response. According to JAX's listed prices, they would be $99 a tyre. So, for less than the price of 1 XWX, you'd have 4 very good newly minted modern tyres.

But you don't have to even go away from 205/70-15 if JAX is to be trusted as to listing. This size is now mostly populated by commercial tyres but ore very good tyre, Goodyear's Efficient Grip SUV, seems to be available. This tyre has tested very well overseas & is listed at $165 each at Jax.

Personally, I'd save money & improve my chances of saving the SM (or someone's dog or kid) in the event of an emergency brake or swerve (or both), especially in the wet, by accepting a 3% gearing reduction & getting the FM800. What you should emphatically not do is keep driving on 16 year old tyres.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 15th January 2017 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks Peter,
    You make a compelling argument.
    cheers Tony

Tadpole

Altough not really an expert on SM tires, I thought I should share with you what happened to me a few days ago on my DS.
    Ironically enough, I was also driving with two michelin XAS from 1989 (as per stamping on the sidewall) on the front and, obviously, it didn't end well (at least for the tire): while driving on the highway, the tread just flew off the front left tire. Even if DS's (and SM's, etc) aren't really bothered by blown tires, the idea of large chunks of rubber flying all over the place isn't something to take very lightly. Fortunately, there wasn't anyone behind me and the largest piece of rubber landed far from the asphalt. It was plain luck.
    Yesterday, I got two XAS on the front and the rears will be next when finances allow to. In the meantime, only low speed roads and for short drives.
    I'll attach a couple of pictures.

Michelin XWX price-2017-01-08-17.42.51.jpgMichelin XWX price-2017-01-08-17.43.12.jpg
    Mort Subite, pajamas and UFO like this.

A valuable lesson to us all on aged tyres. Thanks for sharing.

The Michelin XM2s are perfectly adequate on the SM. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Mort Subite and UFO like this.

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

1000+ Posts

One nice thing that Michelin seem to be doing with their "Classic" range is updating structural features (as well as compounds). In particular, they are now including the zero degree nylon overlay ply invented by Pirelli (back in the 80s, with first fitment to the excellent CN36 SM) & now almost universally fitted. One merit of these nylon plies is the they resist centrifugal growth of the tyre at speed & thus less stress is placed on the steel-to-rubber bond at the belts. That bond is difficult to achieve (hence the use by some of brass-coated wire) & even harder to have continue satisfactorily as the rubber chemistry changes with age (there are non-aerobic internal changes, not just the external cracking that one can often see).

So, less chance of belt separation with a new technology Xas than with one of similar age back when they were leading edge designs. One thing that I don't know is if the modern ones have retained the separate side-by-side half belts with different cord angles that was a unique feature of the Xas. I gather that the idea of this was to create a self-aligning torque for cruising stability (sort of like having a castor effect built in to the tyre). Someone else might be able to lend light on the possible simplification of steel belt structure with the current "Classic" Xas.

cheers! Peter
    pajamas likes this.

Hi

I can do you the tyre for $550 each.......

let me know?

Best regards,

Greg

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    After careful consideration I have decided to buy 5 x Dunlop FM800 205/65/15' s for the SM for less than the price of 1 x XWX.
    I will let you know what I think once I have tried them out.
    Anyone want 3 x lightly worn 16 year old XWX's
    cheers Tony
    Dave Rogers likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    After careful consideration I have decided to buy 5 x Dunlop FM800 205/65/15' s for the SM for less than the price of 1 x XWX.
    cheers Tony
    I can't imagine you being disappointed but please do tell us. You might, given the different responsiveness characteristics of the tyre, want to play with tyre pressure front/rear balance to find the handling balance you prefer.

For anyone who doesn't really use their SM except for static display at car meets & so on, buying your XWX might be a good idea for originality of appearance grounds.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    One nice thing that Michelin seem to be doing with their "Classic" range is updating structural features (as well as compounds). In particular, they are now including the zero degree nylon overlay ply invented by Pirelli (back in the 80s, with first fitment to the excellent CN36 SM) & now almost universally fitted. One merit of these nylon plies is the they resist centrifugal growth of the tyre at speed & thus less stress is placed on the steel-to-rubber bond at the belts. That bond is difficult to achieve (hence the use by some of brass-coated wire) & even harder to have continue satisfactorily as the rubber chemistry changes with age (there are non-aerobic internal changes, not just the external cracking that one can often see).

So, less chance of belt separation with a new technology Xas than with one of similar age back when they were leading edge designs. One thing that I don't know is if the modern ones have retained the separate side-by-side half belts with different cord angles that was a unique feature of the Xas. I gather that the idea of this was to create a self-aligning torque for cruising stability (sort of like having a castor effect built in to the tyre). Someone else might be able to lend light on the possible simplification of steel belt structure with the current "Classic" Xas.

cheers! Peter
    Peter, that's interesting confirmation of my experience with the Renault R8 Michelin XZX I bought a couple of years ago. The "new" XZX tyres have dramatically different steering characteristics and I'd presumed that the structure had been updated, not just that I had new tyres with perhaps an updated compound. Made in Serbia too, which was a slight surprise.

Belatedly, I'd agree very strongly with throwing away 16 year-old tyres.

Be interesting to hear how the FM800 tyres work out. I reckon 3% is a negligible change.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Peter, that's interesting confirmation of my experience with the Renault R8 Michelin XZX I bought a couple of years ago. The "new" XZX tyres have dramatically different steering characteristics and I'd presumed that the structure had been updated, not just that I had new tyres with perhaps an updated compound. Made in Serbia too, which was a slight surprise.

Belatedly, I'd agree very strongly with throwing away 16 year-old tyres.

Be interesting to hear how the FM800 tyres work out. I reckon 3% is a negligible change.
    I thought that you previously had ZX, not XZX, on the R8.

cheers! Peter

My mistake, ZX it is and was. I had a pair of super-old 185-14 XZX on the rear of the Citroen CX, full tread and firmly binned.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Made in Serbia too, which was a slight surprise.
    My understanding is that Michelin has set up a factory in Serbia dedicated to making its "classic" range of tyres.

Roger
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    My understanding is that Michelin has set up a factory in Serbia dedicated to making its "classic" range of tyres.

Roger
    Correct.

Do the dance. Do the Daffyduck dance using the Aussiefrogs app. Be real happy if you can.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    cheers Tony
    Are you in a position to advise us of your initial impressions of the FM800 yet?

cheers! Peter

[QUOTE=4cvg;1505875]Are you in a position to advise us of your initial impressions of the FM800 yet?

Thanks for your interest Peter.
    So far I have not had a chance to get out on some fast twisty roads. I have only done a bit of city driving, which is a bit frustrating. So my impressions are limited to - they make the garage smell nice and being new tyres makes the steering feel a bit lighter, and the ride feels softer yet firmer at the same time. I think I am feeling the freshness of the rubber in the softness but the firmness of a lower profile. I am really looking forward to getting out for a good blast.
    I will let you know what I think.
    cheers Tony

1000+ Posts

Thanks; I shall await further events.
    cheers! Peter.

Having gone from Pirelli P4000s which are long obsolete to the Michelin XWX, not only do they look right but also feel right in the dry and wet. The gearing for me is great - it just cruises around town like an old long-stroke ID.

I didn't see the rationale in getting a cheaper alternative as I'm not exactly racking up kms in my car and wearing them out. I think I've chalked up about 300km so far this year.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Dave Rogers likes this.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information