2CV Rear parcel shelf help
  • Register
  • Help

Default 2CV Rear parcel shelf help

First of all, in no way am I saying anything bad about Burton 2CV.

I was going through Burton's on-line catalog ordering some goodies when I came across a parcel shelf. Or as we call it a package tray. I don't know what you guys call them. Mine along with the mounts was missing. I don't know if mine came with one and it was removed or never came with one to begin with.

Was this piece a factory installed item? An option on some models? Dealer installed item? Aftermarket item?

Anyway I'm usually pretty good about figuring out things but this parcel shelf has me stumped!

When my package of goodies arrived, the parcel shelf was a piece of felt material. The way they have it laid out in their photo, it looks like a typical parcel shelf on any other car. Like a fiberboard covered with felt. That's what I assumed it was. I did not know it was like a hammock.

I asked them about it and they told me there was supposed to be a hardware kit used to mount it but it is sold separately. So I ordered that.

The hardware kit includes these 2 hooks, 2 short bolts, 2 tapered head screws, a long bar and a curved bar. The bars make sense (well sort of). It's the other pieces and the direction of the shelf I'm having issues with.

First of all does the curved bar go against the rear seat back or does the straight bar go against the seat? The curved bar seems to fit the contour of the seat back. From the photo below, is this how the correct way the shelf is supposed to go. I actually think I have it upside down.

Now onto the hooks. I was told that I need to remove the screws ojn the hatch and insert these hooks into the cage and run the bolts through the hole in the cage and into the threaded holes in the hooks. When I do this, the bolts don't really fit through the holes on the car. It didn't take long to discover the screws are what holds the rear hatch to the car!

Advertisement

So I tried using just the screws to hold the hooks in place but the hooks are not really secure. Well now the straight bar is too short to fit into the hooks by about an inch on each side! So either I don't have the hooks installed correctly or the curved bar is supposed to go toward the hatch and not the seat back.

Notice the piece of metal with the oblong hole in it. What's the purpose of this?

Then either the curved bar or the straight bar is suppose to attach to the rear seat back. Someone told me there are some pre-drilled holes in the seat back frame for these sheet metal screws but I can't find them.

I emailed Burton to see if they could send me a photo of how this thing is supposed to be installed and he said they didn't have any cars at their shop at the moment with a parcel shelf and to look on Google. Well I've been searching Google and Yahoo for ages looking for a car with this shelf to no avail.

Can someone with one of these parcel shelves, post some photos of how this thing is supposed to be mounted? That would be a big help. Just photos would tell me everything I needed to know.

Thanks.

Icon6

G'day,
    for a simple car, this all seems a little complicated.
    There is, in the Peugeot parts of this site, a couple of people who made their own parcel shelf from MDF or plywood. Mainly, from memory, to accommodate rear speakers.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Your right, it seems too complicated. If I had known this was a hammock I would have just made by own. I was thinking about making a piece out of plywood so I could mount my rear speakers in it. I still have a couple of yards left of that felt material I covered the dashboard with.
    1987 2CV faux Charleston edition (One of many other makes)

Mount Carmel, TN. (Outside Kingsport) USA

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Citroen%202CV?sort=2&page=1

JBN

In Australia, we need to have upper seatbelt mountings so that we can have diagonal lap/sash rear seatbelts, a condition of Australian compliance. In my case (I imported two UK 2 CVs) I had a frame constructed that went from the floor of the boot to the roofline above the rear quarter windows. It had a horizontal bar level with the bottom of the rear window, to which two anchor points were welded to act as the upper mount for a child safety seat. Apart from getting the car authorised for Australia, it also provide a good mount for a rear parcel shelf made from plywood and covered in a grey carpet. This also provides a good mount for rear speakers as well as tidying up that area visually.

I would discard the "hammock" and fashion your own solution.

2CV Rear parcel shelf help-2cv-small.jpg2CV Rear parcel shelf help-adr-002.jpg2CV Rear parcel shelf help-adr-006.jpg2CV Rear parcel shelf help-adr-007.jpg

John

That's a nice install! I was considering making one out of 1/2" plywood and covering it with the same felt material I've been using. At first I was wondering how to completely hide what's in the boot through the side windows, like a toolbox. But I see how you did it.

Seat belt laws are kind of a gray area in my state. If a car was not required to have seat belts in the year it was built, they can't make you install them.

The lap/shoulder belts came out sometime in the late 50s or early 60s. My 68 Ford had both but were the two piece design and were not retractable. I installed retractable belts because it was impossible to turn the wipers, lights and radio while wearing the shoulder belt!

Initially, I didn't think the car came with rear lap belts but when I removed the rear seat to install new carpet the original owner must have pushed them back behind the seat. They still had the plastic sleeves from the factory!

I think in 1980, rear shoulder belts became mandatory in the US. Reason is I have a '79 Fiat 131 parts car that only has rear lap belts and my '80 Fiat 131 had rear lap and shoulder belts.

I installed some lap belts in mine:

The kit came with imperial bolts. So this being a French car, I automatically grabbed some metric bolts from my metric fastener box I've accumulated from stripping down Fiats and Yugos. The ones I used seemed to fit until I tried to torque them down.

I then learned there is some kind of "standard" for seat belt fasteners which are something like 1/4" X 20 on all cars. Who would have thought that?

I replaced the non retractable front belts in my Trabant but I'm not sure if the fasteners on that car were metric or imperial.

Anyway, I'm not sure if adults sitting in the rear are required to wear seat belts or not. I do know that children who ride in car seats are supposed to be buckled.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

is it possible to drive a 2cv in a way that allows for listening to any sort of speaker ... Doesn't the screaming engine, squealing tires and front->rear spring groaning away drown out all other sounds

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

JBN

It is the screaming passengers when you corner with 30 degrees angle of bank that drowns out the screeching tyres. The rest of the time the laughter, screams of encouragement and verbal advice from passing motorists on what sort of car I should have bought, tend to drown out the engine noise. The "braying donkey" noise from the springs can be calmed with a good dose of castor oil. A good dose of castor oil also shuts up the passenger, and other motorists.

It is, however, inadvisable for the owner of the 2CV to self medicate on castor oil if the troika of passengers, donkeys and motorists is giving him the shits. Although it does add the equivalent of 3 bhp of propulsion, it tends to bugger the seats and overpower the car freshener.

John

This car is incredibly quiet for such an old car. If it were not for that distinctive Boxer engine slight clacking noise which I suspect maybe an exhaust manifold gasket, it would be about as quiet as my Subaru. On the other hand my Subaru sometimes develops piston slap in subfreezing temperatures. I wonder if I have to add oil to my 2CV like I do with my Subaru since it was new. Just add 1/2 a liter between oil changes. That's Subaru's built-in engine longevity feature! The joy of Boxer engines!

When I crank my 2 stroke Trabant up in the morning, the guys at work think the engine is about to explode! Then comes to smoke. It's more dramatic when it's 0C and the smoke mixes with the humidity in the air. Everybody runs to the cars and tries to leave before I crank it up.

1000+ Posts

I think your parcel shelf is designed to prevent people seeing whats in the back of the car ,not support things on it ,pugs

1000+ Posts

I think your parcel shelf is designed to prevent people seeing whats in the back of the car ,not support things on it ,pugs ps looks to me that the two bars have to be threaded through the material.the curved one to the front .the straight one to the rear . Those two flat steel brackets attach either side of the rear door ,so the flat rod can be pulled back and the ends of it dropped in those slots ,the bent rod must attach to the body beside the rear seat upper on the c pillar i guess ,pugs

Thread Information