• 1 Post By turbofiat124
  • 3 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By rmac
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 2 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By netmatelot

Thread: Hello! New member

Default Hello! New member

Hello! This is my first posting. My name is James Seabolt and I live in North Eastern Tennessee, USA. I've been into Fiats and Fords for 25 years but have expanded into other makes. I own a 1980 Fiat 124 Spider (since 1992), 1968 Ford Fairlane, 1987 Yugo (both turbocharged, hence my user name) , 1981 Trabant 601 and now this Citroen 2CV which I bought last August. This including my Trabant was one of those cars that I always wanted to own if I had a chance to. There are not that many in this country.

The car is a French spec registered as a 1971 model and has a 7 digit VIN but I think it's actually a 1987 model. They painted over the build date on the bulkhead so I don't know the car's actually build date. Even though 2CVs were sold in the US up til around 1972, like most 2CVs after that, have re-worked registrations (swapped VINs), an older chassis but with new parts. Allot of these were dismantled in Europe and reassembled in the US to get around the importation laws. I don't know the story on this one.

Also I don't think the car is a real Charleston. It's just painted to look like that along with a rear badge.

The car was pretty much restored when I got it but I've had to sort out some bugs. Like the insulation falling off the bulkhead. So I've been replacing it with the same felt material used on the sides and have installed a radio. Among other things like the front muffler.

The only burning question I have at the moment is how the rear package tray/parcel shelf is supposed to mount on this car. I'll post that in another thread. Here's some photos for the meantime of my car.

A local car show I attended back in September. The grass is not normally this brown, we were going through a major drought back in the summer.

Sorry, can't explain why the car has mismatched French plates. I bought it that way.

I later relocated with the local British car club which actually accepts all European makes in the club.

Advertisement

I drove this car for several months without a radio and didn't like not having music so I went to great extents to install a stereo and fix the groaty looking insulation that was falling off the bulkhead. I need to figure out to get rid of my Sharpie marks.

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome to the Citroen world and aussiefrogs

Great looking car, well done, they are great fun to drive too.

Many years ago I had a 124 coupe and sometimes think of getting a spider,
    CEyssens likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turbofiat124 View Post
    Hello! This is my first posting.
    Welcome, James. That's the best introduction by a new member I can remember here. Nice work.

The grass is not normally this brown, we were going through a major drought back in the summer.
    Call that brown? You're talking to Australians, remember!

groaty
    I have never seen that word before, and I like it. It has a manky lugubriousness to it.

Roger
    olfasty likes this.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Welcome, James. That's the best introduction by a new member I can remember here. Nice work.

Call that brown? You're talking to Australians, remember!

I have never seen that word before, and I like it. It has a manky lugubriousness to it.

Roger
    I love my 2CV. Who needs more than 29HP to have fun?

Just like my Trabant the shift pattern took a bit of practice to get used to. Finding 2nd gear was the hardest. I kept wanting to go from 1st to 4th for some reason! Even though the car only has 25,000 KM on it, it seems the 3rd gear syncro is a bit worn. I drained the gear oil out and it had the same pungent smell of GL-5 which has ruined allot of brass syncros in Fiat transmissions. I put GL-4 in it (which I had to order like the green brake fluid) but it didn't seem to help.

But what's weird is, until the gear oil warms up, it doesn't grind. Which makes me wonder if I can use something thicker but is still EP rated.

Unlike most worn syncros, this only happens when going from 4th to 3rd. I found if I push in the clutch, shift into neutral then blip the throttle before going back to 3rd, it doesn't grind.

I also have to come to a complete stop before going into 1st while moving. I've heard some conflicting information. Some say 1st gear has no syncronizer and others say there is a syncronizer. I just tell people it has a non syncronized gearbox like a Mack truck and there is a technique to driving it!

We normally get around 60" (or 150 cm) of rain per year but due to the El Nino (or El Nina?) effect the southeast US got little rainfall from July to November. The good thing was I could enjoy my car during that time. The downfall was we had lots of forest fires that claimed lots of lives and destroyed allot of structures. Then as soon as it turned November, it's been raining about every other day since.

Last night we got a few inches of snow and it's blistering cold. It's supposed to get down to -16C tonight then shoot back up to 18C by Friday. So I've been driving my Subaru Baja (would probably be called a Liberty Ute if they sold them in Australia).

I'm having withdrawal symptoms having not driven my classic cars since late October. I'd rather not get them out in this nasty weather. There's enough salt on the roads right now to cure 10,000 hams!

As far as the word groaty. It means nasty looking. I'm not even sure if that's in the dictionary being slang. I like the Australian term "wheelie bin" over trash can!
    Last edited by turbofiat124; 8th January 2017 at 04:18 PM.
    olfasty likes this.

'Sorry, can't explain why the car has mismatched French plates. I bought it that way.'

Possibly used as a bank job getaway car ?
    Seriously, nice car and photos!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

JBN

Your are correct in that not being an original Charleston. The grey Charleston had the same light grey but a darker grey (not black like yours) as a contrast. Also, the striping along the side was done using a decal that incorporated the stripe and the darker colour along the bottom of the doors. None of this matters, of course, except for Concours de Elegance. It looks great, that is what counts.

Actually, if you hadn't replaced the front exhaust cross box, you wouldn't have needed the radio but you would have been stuck with the sound of a thousand startled gazelles.

I find it is better to change from 1st to 2nd by just pushing the gear knob to neutral with the palm of your hand then again using your palm, push it into 2nd gear. The town gears of 2nd and 3rd are in the same plane so it is just push or pull (what a brilliant idea for the gears that are used most). I tend to double de-clutch from 4th to 3rd as I am travelling at higher speeds and I find that technique produces a smoother transition and keeps the engine revs on the higher side.

I rarely change into 1st on the move. There is NO synchromesh on 1st gear, so it is mandatory to double clutch if moving. Don't bother. Instead, ride the clutch in 2nd gear to keep up the revs

One other peculiar technique for 2CVs when turning at intersections in town is to change into 2nd gear (I often double clutch from 3rd), slow down before the turn and ride the clutch with one foot whilst accelerating with the other foot to keep the engine revs up through the turn. This is most handy on inside turns which in your case would be right hand turns.

Revs rule with 2CVs and they are too stupid to know any better so they don't complain. You may think my riding the clutch means that I demolish clutches. Not so. I usually only change the clutch when I have the engine reconditioned (new barrels and pistons).

Enjoy your car when you can get away from admirers. You can park it next to ANY other car produced and still draw a crowd as large or larger.

John
    Last edited by JBN; 8th January 2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    alhantos, pug206gti and shanadoo like this.

Welcome! What a great introduction - like most of the members here I can't read so depend on the pictures ;-)
    olfasty likes this.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Your are correct in that not being an original Charleston. The grey Charleston had the same light grey but a darker grey (not black like yours) as a contrast. Also, the striping along the side was done using a decal that incorporated the stripe and the darker colour along the bottom of the doors. None of this matters, of course, except for Concours de Elegance. It looks great, that is what counts.

Actually, if you hadn't replaced the front exhaust cross box, you wouldn't have needed the radio but you would have been stuck with the sound of a thousand startled gazelles.

I find it is better to change from 1st to 2nd by just pushing the gear knob to neutral with the palm of your hand then again using your palm, push it into 2nd gear. The town gears of 2nd and 3rd are in the same plane so it is just push or pull (what a brilliant idea for the gears that are used most). I tend to double de-clutch from 4th to 3rd as I am travelling at higher speeds and I find that technique produces a smoother transition and keeps the engine revs on the higher side.

I rarely change into 1st on the move. There is NO synchromesh on 1st gear, so it is mandatory to double clutch if moving. Don't bother. Instead, ride the clutch in 2nd gear to keep up the revs

One other peculiar technique for 2CVs when turning at intersections in town is to change into 2nd gear (I often double clutch from 3rd), slow down before the turn and ride the clutch with one foot whilst accelerating with the other foot to keep the engine revs up through the turn. This is most handy on inside turns which in your case would be right hand turns.

Revs rule with 2CVs and they are too stupid to know any better so they don't complain. You may think my riding the clutch means that I demolish clutches. Not so. I usually only change the clutch when I have the engine reconditioned (new barrels and pistons).

Enjoy your car when you can get away from admirers. You can park it next to ANY other car produced and still draw a crowd as large or larger.

John
    I was coming home one morning from work and the car seemed unusually loud. When I got home I discovered the saddle clamp that holds the front cross box to the exhaust system had fallen off! It seems the tube shaped muffler does the majority of the silencing. After replacing it, I had a devil of a time trying to seal up all the exhaust leaks with the old clamps.

So I ordered some of those Burton's exhaust clamps and some exhaust paste. I had to loosened every clamp on the exhaust system in order to get the crossbox to line up with the hanger bolts on the gearbox.

It seems I still hear a slight noise but nothing I can't live with. But now when I decelerate it sounds like a train horn blowing in the background (which I thought it actually was). If I shake the tube muffler it sounds like rocks inside it. So it's breaking up. I have a new one but have not gotten around to installing it. Actually I plan on taking it to a muffler shop. I can't find any 1 3/8" exhaust fittings (as well as those saddle clamps) from any auto part store around here.

I've owned lots of Fiats with worn syncros and have used the double clutching technique when going up the gears. But no amount of double clutching seems to work on this car. Blipping the throttle does work.

One problem I have where I live is there are lots of hills. So sometimes my 2CV and my Trabant struggle to make it up hills.

Here is a particularly fun road to climb at times next to my house:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5587...8i6656!6m1!1e1

There is a hill almost as steep as this one on my way home.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5511...7i13312!8i6656

I think the 2CV is geared a bit higher than my 26hp Trabant, both 600cc air cooled engines. The 2CV tops out at 110 to 115 KPH on the highway but my Trabant tops out at 100 KPH at full throttle on flat land.

The Trabant will pull this hill in 3rd gear by the time I reach the summit I'm topped out at 60 KPH. The 2CV I found will only 50 KPH holding in 2nd gear up this hill. If I try to shift into 3rd, the car looses speed.
    Last edited by turbofiat124; 8th January 2017 at 05:22 PM.

1000+ Posts

Hello! New member-exhaust.jpg

Welcome to aussiefrogs!
    Fascinating, up until last year all my old cars were Fords and Fiats (mainly 124 Sport CC) and then I up and bought a Peugeot 205GTI.

So welcome to the French side and congratulations on your Citroen it looks like an excellent car and lots of fun.

JBN

The good news with steep hills near your house is they are great to go downhill in the morning when the engine is cold and you have serious limitations on power.

When you are returning home uphill, forget about the car, concentrate on how much you will enjoy a beer when you finally make it home. French cars, 2CVs in particular, encourage lateral thoughts.

John
    olfasty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    The good news with steep hills near your house is they are great to go downhill in the morning when the engine is cold and you have serious limitations on power.

When you are returning home uphill, forget about the car, concentrate on how much you will enjoy a beer when you finally make it home. French cars, 2CVs in particular, encourage lateral thoughts.

John
    What pisses me off is people behind me. They tend to ride my bumper while trying to climb this hill, somehow thinking this will make me go faster. With the Trabant, they tend to back off once they get a whiff of that 2 cycle oil!

I meant to say 60 KPH in 2nd gear in my past post. Even though my speedometer reads in kilometers, all our road signs in the US are still in miles and feet so sometimes I get confused.

The 2CV will go faster than that in 2nd but I don't want to push the RPMs past the reference mark. When I shift into 3rd, the car loses power so I have to hold it at 60 KPH going up this hill.

I'd like to keep this car as original as possible but I've considered turbocharging it. There is plenty of room to do it. Building the system would be easy, getting the car to run properly would be the challenge because I don't know enough about it as of yet. My idea would be to use the pipes off the old crossbox I removed into a manifold and feed them into a small motorcycle turbo, then the turbo would feed into the exhaust pipe . Then blow through the carburetor like I did on my Yugo.

Burton has a video on their YouTube page where they turbocharged one of their 2CV based cars at .5 BAR which is what I run on my Fiat Spider and Yugo so apparently the engine could handle it with no issues.

But I don't know enough about this engine and Solex carb to jump into it without some knowledge.

Timing: I found an engine with an 8:1 C/R needs 5 degree retard under boost @ .5 BAR. I'm using a 5 pin GM HEI to control the ignition timing on my Spider and Yugo.

GM 5 PIN HEI Module by James Seabolt | Photobucket

Fuel system. I'd need a diesel fuel pump like I used on my Yugo in order to get the fuel pressure higher than boost and use a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator. I would need to drop the tank and mount a 3/8" inlet to feed the pump. Or build a buffer tank in the engine compartment and feed it using the mechanical pump.

Here is my Fiat X1/9 powered 1500 cc Yugo:

Yugo by James Seabolt | Photobucket

Carburator: I have no knowledge of Solex carbs. I don't know how a single barrel carb would work under boost but I could possibly use a Weber 2 barrel. I found it's best to leave the primary jetting alone but run a fat secondary main because the turbo doesn't really kick in until the secondary is open.

Lubrication system: Due to the oil filler/venting device, I'm not sure about this. Apparently this thing seems complicated for what it does. On Fiats, there is no PVC valve but an oil trap at the bottom of the engine. Very simple design.

I could tap into the oil pressure switch port with a tee like I did on my Yugo to feed oil to the turbo but how to drain oil back into the sump. Could I tap into the drain hose coming off the filler device or would I need to drill and tap a hole in the oil pan.

I need a 1/2" of 13mm drain hose.
    1987 2CV faux Charleston edition (One of many other makes)

Mount Carmel, TN. (Outside Kingsport) USA

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Citroen%202CV?sort=2&page=1

JBN

I think a turbo would complicate what is basically a very simple car. I have lost my licence for speeding in a 2CV, so it can be done. More so when you become confident of the cars handling characteristics and its plus and minus points.

For highway use, I tend to slip in very close behind trucks and get sucked along at their speed. That is not everyone's cup of tea. It can be a good way to collect your life insurance, but at least its fun while it lasts.

"Sound, sound the clarion, fill the fife,
    Throughout the sensual world proclaim,
    One crowded hour of glorious life,
    Is worth an age without a name."

Thomas Mordant (1730-1809)

John
    Peter O and ScotFrog like this.

Hello, now you have a French car, you need to practice the 'Gallic shrug' (shoulders up to your ears, open palms in front, level with chest) and ignore those behind you. Once they see the body roll when you swerve and the angle of the front wheels they'll back off.

Don't mess about with the engine, it is what it is. Like English gentry, they enjoy being thrashed.

Peter

I'm sort of past my turbocharging days. Like they say, someone always has a bigger gun! 20 years ago it was fun outrunning modern Civics in a Yugo and pickup trucks in my Spider but anymore now, it's more about the drive than how fast it takes to get there.

The 2CV has a great ride but at first I thought the suspension had some issues due to the body roll then learned that's one of it's characteristics. My wife thinks I'm going to flip it over sometimes especially going around, round-a-bouts!

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    Welcome to aussiefrogs!
    Fascinating, up until last year all my old cars were Fords and Fiats (mainly 124 Sport CC) and then I up and bought a Peugeot 205GTI.

So welcome to the French side and congratulations on your Citroen it looks like an excellent car and lots of fun.
    Did you ever frequent the Turbo124.com forum? My used name on there is jseabolt.

Did you ever frequent the Turbo124.com forum? My used name on there is jseabolt.
    No, my first experience with car forums has been here on aussiefrogs since getting into the 205 rebuild. I do miss the 124 but not sure I'll ever go back, possibly for a spider one day. But not until I finish my current projects!

Regarding your new wheels. I've had a couple of slow driving classics and grew to enjoy the slower pace driving. I did fix the poor handling though, I'm just not a fan of driving through the hills in a car that rolls about all over the place, especially after the old 124 days.
    I also made sure I fixed the tune on it so it ran perfectly through the rev range,

So the result was a nicer handling smooth cruiser, great for a Sunday open window drive.

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post

Don't mess about with the engine, it is what it is. Like English gentry, they enjoy being thrashed.

Peter
    God, this made me laugh!!

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    olfasty likes this.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by turbofiat124;1496251
    The 2CV has a great ride but at first I thought the suspension had some issues due to the body roll then learned that's one of it's characteristics. [B
    My wife thinks I'm going to flip it over sometimes especially going around, round-a-bouts[/B]!
    That's the 2CV's secret weapon. Every other car thinks you are going to fall over so they give you plenty of room.

Bullshit baffles brains.

John

Thread Information