Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By JBN
  • 3 Post By JBN
  • 2 Post By forumnoreason
  • 1 Post By shanadoo

Thread: Citroen history

Fellow Frogger!

Default Citroen history

I had someone come up to me in a carpark recently and express compliments about our C5. They then asked whether it descended from the DS Citroen. The question caught me off guard, as I was not sure (this is our first Citroen). I am now wondering that, if the C5 did in fact follow on from the DS series, what did the C6 descend from? Or did the DS series have an equivalent C5 and C6? Excuse my ignorance here

Advertisement
    Last edited by turnbull151; 5th January 2017 at 08:02 PM.

1000+ Posts

You are comparing cars from two eras of the company's ownership. In 1976 Citroen, in financial strife, because part of the Peugeot (PSA) group, and models designed after then had many parts in common with Peugeot cars. There wasn't the cash to do otherwise.

Under Peugeot management design became less unconventional, and sometimes were very like similar Peugeots (eg Citroen XM and Peugeot 605), though things like hydraulic suspension continued.

The C5 cars began as a new conventional design in 2000, had an altered appearance in 2004, and a new design in 2007. All are on the PSA PF3 platform, though suspension differs. The larger C6 is a logical derivation of the C5.
    Last edited by seasink; 5th January 2017 at 08:31 PM.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    I had someone come up to me in a carpark recently and express compliments about our C5. They then asked whether it descended from the DS Citroen. The question caught me off guard, as I was not sure (this is our first Citroen). I am now wondering that, if the C5 did in fact follow on from the DS series, what did the C6 descend from? Or did the DS series have an equivalent C5 and C6? Excuse my ignorance here
    I don't think you are showing ignorance, PSA has thrown confusion into what most of us knew and understood the history of Citroen to be. Julian Marsh covers this quite nicely on his website and is well worth reading through. . .
    CitroŽnŽt
    THE DS BRAND AND CITROňNňT

PSA had chosen to obliterate the ID/DS range from Citroen's history, more recently the ID/DS and SM have been included but now as ghosts if you look here. . . previously they did not exist on this site
    CitroŽn Origins

The answer to your question though is yes the C5 would have to be seen as a descendant of the original DS, the progression would be DS - CX - XM - C5

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    I don't think you are showing ignorance, PSA has thrown confusion into what most of us knew and understood the history of Citroen to be. Julian Marsh covers this quite nicely on his website and is well worth reading through. . .
    CitroŽnŽt
    THE DS BRAND AND CITROňNňT

PSA had chosen to obliterate the ID/DS range from Citroen's history, more recently the ID/DS and SM have been included but now as ghosts if you look here. . . previously they did not exist on this site
    CitroŽn Origins

The answer to your question though is yes the C5 would have to be seen as a descendant of the original DS, the progression would be DS - CX - XM - C5

Cheers
    Chris
    To add a little confusion to the discussion, in reality the C5 replaced the Xantia, whilst the XM was replaced by the C6. You should also include in time line discussions that the Traction Avant Big 6 H was the first Citroen with hydraulic (rear only) suspension, and that the GS and BX were in the mix too.

However extensive reading of Julian Marsh's Citroenet site as linked above will explain many things. Hours of learning for the whole family.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

JBN

Think of the DS as the mount on which Moses received the Ten Commandments. He descended the mountain passing the SM, CX and GS. At about that time he dropped the clay tablets. He picked up the big bits, XM, BX, Xantia and sent poor Joe to collect the pieces.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you gentlemen, it is all much clearer now, including how Moses descended from the mountain!

Having read your comments and associated references, it seems to me that Citroen is at the crossroads in terms of where to from here. Talk of suspending production of one of its premier models (C5) that has heritage and features (advanced suspension, styling etc) dating back to its hallmark version, just doesn’t seem to make sense.

Recently had someone (who I didn’t know) comment on our car “those Citroen’s are bloo_y beautiful, aren’t they”. I can’t think of a lot of other comparably priced cars that you would describe similarly today?

Perhaps the CXsperience will fill the void?

Yes the CX was the last real Citroen to a lot of peoples eyes, mine included, or the last car designed before the merger with Peugeot. The fact that Michelin was in control from 1935 speaks volumes for them as a company. One reason all my cars run on their tyres and have done for years.

Beauty is function expressed. Citroens were styled that way for a reason, you don't see that in too many cars these days.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

I don't think the DS and the C5 are related at all.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    I don't think the DS and the C5 are related at all.
    They are in the same way that the Traction is related to the DS. Its is not in the looks or the externals but it is in the creative lateral thinking behind them. The 2CV could also be included, sharing the same lateral thinking to solve a problem. There is a tenuous connection in that the front and rear suspension "talk" to each other, a la the DS, but that is dependant on how bad your eyesight is, how many glasses of wine you have just drunk or how vivid your imagination is.

I am assuming that you are referring to ID/DS rather than the current misuse of DS.

John

Citroen history-phil504cc_1131868524_403_vs_ds.jpg

- is basically what happened

I demand the moderators remove this offensive image immediately!
    netmatelot and jaahn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    It's a good analogy though!

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    They are in the same way that the Traction is related to the DS. Its is not in the looks or the externals but it is in the creative lateral thinking behind them. The 2CV could also be included, sharing the same lateral thinking to solve a problem. There is a tenuous connection in that the front and rear suspension "talk" to each other, a la the DS, but that is dependant on how bad your eyesight is, how many glasses of wine you have just drunk or how vivid your imagination is.

I am assuming that you are referring to ID/DS rather than the current misuse of DS.

John
    I would like to point out that the DS and traction are very closely related. Examine the punt frame chassis of a DS and then closely examine the Hull of a traction. You will find that the punt frame is a direct parallel in every part of its structure. It is just pared back and reduced so that the body panels can completely envelop the structure instead of the structure remaining as visible, external body panels as in the case of the Traction.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post

I'll second that. All pictures should be in color.
    UFO likes this.

Thread Information