• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By FNQ1000

Thread: Beyond the C5?

Default Beyond the C5?

Hello Aussiefroggers

First post in and I am asking for advice, but isn't that always the way?

But before that it would be polite to introduce myself. *I am one of the legion of 'lurkers' drawing off information and not contributing to the conversations. But I have used this information for good though!

*With the demise of the Cairns Saab dealership (and subsequently the company, though I do still have my 900) and a short flirtation with a Jeep Grand Cherokee (and living in Far North Queensland it was put to the task of hauling the family to some remote spots) back in 2007 we were looking around for a new family car.

I've always had an attraction to obscure cars and motorcycles (mmmmm a series of Moto Guzzi, Laverda and Ducati [bevel drives mind you]) and I *remember being impressed by a DS when I was a young fella (in north-western Qld it was an eye opener), then +25 years ago I spotting a CX outside the Yungaburra Pub and*yammering on to my girlfriend, now wife ,of the advancements of Citroen and how the design shape pre-dated the Japanese hatches (whyever she is still with me?). Being besotted with the XM (and still am, perhaps I will be the caretaker of one at some future point). So a Citroen sounds good and I found my way to Aussiefrogs.........

Of course it made sense to go with a new 2006 C5 - Weird Harold we called it. *I picked it up from a dealer in Townsville and got a cracking deal on the price, they just couldn't sell it. First time I sat and drove a Citroen was when I turned the key on our new car.

It looked odd, I didn't like the silver blue colour initially, the turbo vacuum tube popped off and worst of all the brake/steering computer packed it in one day and it took too long to get a replacement from France.

But it was spacious, roomy and comfortable, like driving around in a lounge chair. Being a hatch, it just swallowed a mountain of gear (hatches are the best configuration and one of the reasons why the Saab stays). The 2 litre diesel/6 speed auto was a revelation - powerful and economical. A time machine for family travel, everyone arrives fresh and not travel weary (if you have young children I recommend a ceiling mounted DVD). The silver/blue paint alway looked clean. It absolutely did not encourage sporty driving (unlike the Saab). A fabulous family car and simply the best car we have owned.

Advertisement

So we move to Brisbane in 2012 and the lease on the C5 is drawing to a close. Well let's stump up for another C5, quite the looker and in metallic black. So we do the deal . After a short while we feel a little cold. *It is not a hatch and it doesn't have xenon headlights that swivel and it doesn't have have the front parking sensors. No armrests for the front seats, we miss the armrests. Where is the Weird Harold cool? Oh kids, you and the dog are making the cream leather/cloth seats grubby! The front seats have gone all pseudo sporty and exacerbate my sciatica problems in my right leg, miss the lounge chairs.*AND we can't get comfortable.........

But after a few years now, Weird Harold (the best car ever) is still missed and the new C5 has no name. But the seats have softened and it been used to belt up to Cairns loaded up a few times and down to Melbourne and around Tasmania and out to Emerald and around NSW..........oh it is pretty good, and very reliable *and it's really comfortable. Highlighted to me with some recent extended drives of new Caprice, Lexus and Audi A6.

Not much has gone wrong in 120k with the only *out of the ordinary problem being both rear wheel bearing collapsed, one ruining the hub. Also as described by UFO in his 200k C5 review, the paint on the interior door handles is rubbish.

Ok we are starting to get to the point now, I've received letters from the lease related companies to inform me that in 3 months the current lease will expire. OH NO, we love the Citroen! AND we are dismayed that there are no more C5 being made/imported to Australia. What to do? What to do?

I am running a fairly blinkered line at present:
    Option A - try and find a new C5 in March and enter a new lease. Chances of that?
    Option B - at the last minute extend the lease by a further 12 months as we have a Canberra trip occurring mid- year.*

Alternatively is there any indication/gossip of a Citroen C5 replacement, with the 'correct' suspension, in the near future?

What's the C5 alternative in another manufacturer? Probably the Peugeot 508, but with the C5 getting the chop, are they going to be around very much longer? Anything else that meets the criteria of 1,300km/day in comfort, economic and roomy - I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers
    Jason

1000+ Posts

There is a vanishing number of new C5s still around. Continental Citroen in Sydney has one Continental Cars CitroŽn Centre Ľ Used CitroŽns Enjoy the drive home - this car eats up the kilometres.

Hydraulic suspension dies with the C5. For the next Cactus, Citroen have developed a novel shock absorber that shows promise for an ultra-smooth ride. In coming years the Citroen badge goes onto small cars. Apparently a large DS is coming. The current DS5 has a fine looking but tight interior with an ordinary ride.

The Peugeot 508 is a different bodied C5, but with steel springs. Only the sports GT model has the double wishbones up front.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by FNQ1000 View Post
    Option A - try and find a new C5 in March and enter a new lease. Chances of that?
    There will be barely any difference in the lease payout figure now vs March, so possibly do a deal while you can still find a few new cars to choose from. You would get the 6 year warranty too. There are probably still a few 2.2HDis floating about and they would all be the Exclusive version with the turning headlamps etc..
    Last edited by David S; 1st January 2017 at 04:31 PM.
    Greg likes this.

2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

C6 - just cruel to dangle that one out there. Too old to lease though.

David S, I reckon you are on the money. Will make some enquiries on that front.

Cheers
    Jason

Alternatively is there any indication/gossip of a Citroen C5 replacement, with the 'correct' suspension, in the near future?

What's the C5 alternative in another manufacturer? Probably the Peugeot 508, but with the C5 getting the chop, are they going to be around very much longer? Anything else that meets the criteria of 1,300km/day in comfort, economic and roomy - I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers
    Jason
    The next Citroen C5 will be coming in 2018 apparently, and will feature the new hydro 'cushions', the cheaper replacement for hydropneumatic suspension. Citroen C5 to be reborn in futuristic style | Auto Express

DS will be doing a DS7 at around the same time with suspension tentatively dubbed AirComfort. http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...g-this-decade/

Both will be too far away for the OP, whose best hope is to grab another C5...
    2011 Citroen C5 - 'La Barge'

Take a Pug 508 GT for a spin.
    If low kms used is an option then look for the 2.2 litre GT (latest model is only 2L). As a citroen owner I reckon the 508 GT is a massively underrated car. Active headlights, heads up display, elec memory seats, side mirrors that will dip in reverse allowing you to see the gutter, light that comes on when hard turning into driveway etc to illuminate gutter, 3-way climate control, great handling and stopping and the 2.2 offers 450 mm of torque making the car feel much quicker than it is.
    I was so sold on them I bought 2 - one for me and one for my wife.
    Cheers
    Glenn

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

1000+ Posts

Like I said elsewhere, the 508GT is a C5 on springs.
    Greg likes this.

The newer C5s do vary from the oldies, and the lack of hydraulic suspension is a big consideration in the most recent models.
    For me, unless I'm looking for a sporty Citroen, any tourer without superior suspension is out of consideration.

I can't give you advice ... I'm hanging on to my old C5 for a bit.
    You can get older C5s for very low money and they are still vastly competent cars.

However, you do need to properly test any car in contention... regardless of the commentaries.
    I have done this, even when I pretty much knew I would get another Citroen.

Once or twice, cars other than Citroens graced the garage. But rarely.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

Hi again
    The new C5 article and the imagines look fantastic , I just wonder how credible this is given 2018 is not far away? I might just ask my lease company to do the sums on extending the lease by 2 years.

Glenn, that you stumped up for 2 x 508s really is a ringing endorsement.

Cheers
    Jason

Hi again
    The new C5 article and the imagines look fantastic , I just wonder how credible this is given 2018 is not far away? I might just ask my lease company to do the sums on extending the lease by 2 years.

Glenn, that you stumped up for 2 x 508s really is a ringing endorsement.

Cheers
    Jason
    They are just artists' impressions, and it's a late 2018 date for the rumoured C5. Personally, I'd do a 3 year lease on a C5 and see what was available in early 2019...
    2011 Citroen C5 - 'La Barge'

Hello
    We'll a bit of time has passed and I thought I'd provide an update of where I got to with the C5 replacement.

I did the rounds of the dealers in Brisbane, Toowoomba and the Gold Coast and really pushed hard for a C5 Tourer, tried a Peugeot 508 and looked at a Skoda.

The best trade in on a new C5 (remembering my 2012 had 115,00km) was $4K, $4,000, four thousand dollars ppppppffffffttttt........and this was at a best new price of $52K. I had also purchased the car new from the dealer and had every service carried out by them.

So that is why I didn't post more recently. I think I would have broken every posting rule of the Forum!!

I have extended the lease for another 12 months, will pay it out at expiry and drive it until it gets to the point that I end up throwing a match at it.

Love the car (2nd C5 bought from new) but the whole dealership experience continues to leave a lingering sour taste....

Cheers
    Jason
    Greg likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

This journalist seems to have written Citroen off in the larger sedan market https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...ge-118616.html

He gives the next Peugeot 508 a better chance.

Beyond the C5?-peugeot-508.jpg
    Last edited by turnbull151; 15th June 2017 at 10:54 AM.

Thread Information