DS - Pressure regulator refurb technique
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Budge

Thread: DS - Pressure regulator refurb technique

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    708

    Default DS - Pressure regulator refurb technique

    There has been a question on the CCC site in the UK about how to dismantle the CRC unit up by the carb. i recall that the technique is to drill a small hole in the body to allow the circle holding the cap to be removed. I want to read up more, only i can't recall where i came by the information in the first place!

    The closest i have found is a 'DSSMpassion' video on youtube that shows the technique used on the pressure regulator cap, but it also includes a glimpse of some kind of instruction manual for this technique. It looks to be an official Citroen manual/ instruction. Here are a couple of screen shots:


    DS - Pressure regulator refurb technique-drill-hole-1.jpgDS - Pressure regulator refurb technique-drill-hole-2.jpg

    Does anyone know which manual these instructions are taken from ? I can't find it in 814 or 518 - though they may be there somewhere.

    Cheers

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! mberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Broom
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Rebuild Hydraulic Regulator

    I have not rebuilt the CRC or the pressure regulator, but the process for the regulator rebuild looks to be well tested by some of the DS owners here.
    It shows a 'damaged' pressure regulator being rebuilt as a test..... the 'damage' is unexplained, but, you may have discovered the reason for the damage, the drilling of a hole in the cap of the pressure regulator.

    With the CRC, Citrotech offer a fully rebuilt unit, maybe not as much fun as rebuilding one yourself, but, such a sensitive unit, vital to the correct tuning of the BVH, I have bought one and been very happy.

    Ontkoppelings regelaar DS LHM -carburateur- ? CITROTECH

    They have some pretty good videos on youtube, but you need to search in Dutch. I couldn't find one for the CRC.

    MB

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    It shows a 'damaged' pressure regulator being rebuilt as a test..... the 'damage' is unexplained, but, you may have discovered the reason for the damage, the drilling of a hole in the cap of the pressure regulator.
    Could be they drilled the hole too big. And then took a chisel to it! Drilling a hole shouldn't affect the operation of the unit. I might see if the hole-drilling technique is in manual 844. Didn't look there.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Found it! It's the Citroen recommended technique and is covered by Op. 391-6 from Manual 583-3.
    mberry likes this.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,777

    Default

    From the pictures posted, I don't see the fracture starting at a hole drilled in the pressure reg casing. Ask Pottsy to look at it more closely if you want more info. It could even have been accident damage given the thing is usually mounted by a bolt into the plug.

    If you don't drill a hole, you really want a modified set of snapring / circlip pliers to get that snap ring out. The common off the shelf items won't do the job and it's difficult, but not impossible, using picks and screwdrivers.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! mberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Broom
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Found it! It's the Citroen recommended technique and is covered by Op. 391-6 from Manual 583-3.
    Trying to download this elusive manual 583-3.
    So far it has taken about 5 hours and still going, hopefully finishes today. Looking forward to it.

    MB

  7. #7
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    My understanding of 583 is that it is the best late DS manual because it contains things that are not in 814, the French version consists of 5 volumes in total, but the only volume ever published in English was Volume 1 (Characteristics, adjustments, checks).

    Roger

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! mberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Broom
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Merci Roger,
    I guess that means I'm downloading a French version. We'll see, download still going after about 7.5 hours, so I can't stop now. Must be the full 5 version edition, I will see tomorrow. Even a French version will be useful. There is a set of 3 German volumes on ebay, but German, no good to me.
    Last edited by mberry; 1st January 2017 at 07:54 PM.

  9. #9
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    I have been looking at those German ones for over a year now.

    Roger

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,777

    Default

    So ... From the cabinet your manuals you take, but all Dutch is the Deutsch!

  11. #11
    Tadpole pink pallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mount Gambier
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    Trying to download this elusive manual 583-3.
    So far it has taken about 5 hours and still going, hopefully finishes today. Looking forward to it.

    MB
    Is there a sit to download this manual?
    Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    Rebuild Hydraulic Regulator

    I have not rebuilt the CRC or the pressure regulator, but the process for the regulator rebuild looks to be well tested by some of the DS owners here.
    It shows a 'damaged' pressure regulator being rebuilt as a test..... the 'damage' is unexplained, but, you may have discovered the reason for the damage, the drilling of a hole in the cap of the pressure regulator.

    With the CRC, Citrotech offer a fully rebuilt unit, maybe not as much fun as rebuilding one yourself, but, such a sensitive unit, vital to the correct tuning of the BVH, I have bought one and been very happy.

    Ontkoppelings regelaar DS LHM -carburateur- ? CITROTECH

    They have some pretty good videos on youtube, but you need to search in Dutch. I couldn't find one for the CRC.

    MB

    Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,777

  13. #13
    Tadpole pink pallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mount Gambier
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Cheers, let the downloading begin!!

    Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    To avoid overloading the bandwidth on the manual website, please download the files only once.

    Thanks,
    Roger

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    708

    Default

    By way of a bit of closure to this thread, i dismantled my pressure regulator today using the 'Citroen way' of drilling a hole. Op. 391 in vol 2 of manual 814 only shows the method for taking apart the old screw cap regulators. it was never updated for the steel bodied regulators with a spring clip. However vol 3 of French language manual 583 (also published in 75) was updated and shows additional steps for taking them apart. As per the photo in my post no.1, the technique is to drill a hole to enable you to compress the spring clip (while holding the cap down under pressure against its spring).

    I used this technique today and it was a doddle. I will have to remember to gently sand the inner edge of the hole I drilled to remove any burrs.



    DS - Pressure regulator refurb technique-img_6110.jpgDS - Pressure regulator refurb technique-img_6111.jpg

    The hole is well away from the main body cavity, but if you are sceptical or nervous about this technique, there is also a handy link in post nio.2 to an older thread on this subject called "Rebuild Hydraulic Regulator".

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Posts
    676

    Default

    The trick is to drill the hole in the side so that the drill bit goes into the gap in the snap ring. Then you compress the end plug and work the snap ring around so the end is in front of the hole. Use a punch or similar to dislodge the end of the spring from the groove then hook it with a dental pick. When you reassemble the snap ring, move the gap so the hole is again between the ends of the snap ring, that way there is no load on the region where the hole was drilled.
    Cheers,
    John T.

    54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    The trick is to drill the hole in the side so that the drill bit goes into the gap in the snap ring. Then you compress the end plug and work the snap ring around so the end is in front of the hole. Use a punch or similar to dislodge the end of the spring from the groove then hook it with a dental pick. When you reassemble the snap ring, move the gap so the hole is again between the ends of the snap ring, that way there is no load on the region where the hole was drilled.
    Yes, that's the way i did it. even down to use of a dental pick

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    Trying to download this elusive manual 583-3.
    So far it has taken about 5 hours and still going, hopefully finishes today. Looking forward to it.

    MB
    How come it has taken you so long? I have just downloaded and saved all 5 volumes of 583 in approx. 5 mins!
    Cheers Gerry

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    How come it has taken you so long? I have just downloaded and saved all 5 volumes of 583 in approx. 5 mins!
    He's had a years head start on you. Should be finished by now........

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    He's had a years head start on you. Should be finished by now........
    Of Course! He will still be on dial up internet!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •