C5 2.2 hdi 2007 radiator coolant leak
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By dcc236

Thread: C5 2.2 hdi 2007 radiator coolant leak

Default C5 2.2 hdi 2007 radiator coolant leak

Warmish weather and 1klm from home and the temperature indicator suddenly moved to max and the STOP warning was given. Waited for a while and drove the Klm home. I suspect the problem requires more attention than just refilling with the coolant as there has been no evidence of coolant on the garage floor. Any suggestions for the cause and a remedy? Thanks

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Check your dipstick - hopefully no water or cheesy pale sludge in the sump. Another possibility is a failed thermostat valve in the water outlet box (passenger's end of block, above transmission) so that the coolant boiled.

Thanks seasink. Just checked the oil. All good, just like it has always been. I am hours from a Citroen workshop but a good general mechanic may be able to help on your suggestion of the possible failure of the thermostat valve.

Fellow Frogger

If there's no coolant loss, the engine fan or thermostat may have failed. Fans are very expensive from Citroen. Look for aftermarket options - consider EAI, Dapco or eBay options. Check the 50A relays - refer picture from parts book.

C5 2.2 hdi 2007 radiator  coolant leak-c5_22hdi_fan.jpg

If there is coolant loss and you can't see it, maybe look for leakage via the heater matrix into the cabin or out the drain or via the cooler that is attached to the EGR valve on the back of the motor leaking into the exhaust. Being a 2.2HDi 6 speed, it has an air-air intercooler, not the water cooled intercooler of the 4 speed that leaks internally with disastrous results.

C5 2.2 hdi 2007 radiator  coolant leak-c5_22hdi_egr.jpg
    GreenBlood likes this.

Thanks David S. You have helped me so much in the past and I know you have helped a lot of other froggers as well. Diagram is especially helpful. Will consult my mechanic and of course will get back when it is sorted, which, at this time of year, may take a week or two.

David S there is a loss of coolant and the plastic expansion tank ( I think that is what it is called) is empty. I purchased some green coolant yesterday and will use it before going to the mechanic.

Fellow Frogger!

Could be a radiator fault, cooling hose failure, expansion tank/cap fault, head gasket failure, failed fan/controller or failed closed thermostat. Does it cool/ get to normal operating temp when driving at highway speed or is it overheating in stop start traffic or is it overheating at both highway speeds & stop/start traffic?

Ensure if you are adding coolant, it is identical to what was originally in there (colour is not enough). If not or you don't know, don't add any coolant, just use water until you can do a complete coolant replacement/flush.
    turnbull151 likes this.

Thanks dcc236. Noted and understood. It has overheated just once and that was at highway speed. The car was left at the side of the road for 10 mins and then driven for 1 klm home after which I discovered the expansion tank was empty. Thanks for the sensible suggestion to use water in the first instance when taking it to my mechanic when he returns from vacation. Will post when I get a result. Thanks again.

Keeping a close eye on the water level at the moment as I live in a tourist area and the mechanics are flat out. Beginning to suspect it may be a case of the water or coolant levels being allowed to gradually subside over the years as there has been no lowering of levels in the last couple of weeks. Will put a post on for others' benefit if this proves to not be the case.

Evidence of leaking coolant around the EGR Valve at the back of the motor but the leak appears to have stopped. Cross my fingers.

Thread Information