DS Ownership journey begins
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: DS Ownership journey begins

Default DS Ownership journey begins

I thought this would be a good opportunity to document life with my new French mistress "Sabine"

I picked the car up on the 27th from Byron Bay and brought her to a new home in Sydney. Being regal on the trailer was necessary due to being in a non running state. She is now tucked up in suburban Sydney.

Advertisement

DS Ownership journey begins-20161228_060155-1%5B1%5D.jpg
    DS Ownership journey begins-20161228_175059.jpg

I was pretty keen on this car despite being a non runner due to its almost rust free state. It has suffered from bumps and bruises so will need some cosmetic surgery but I figured the bones are good.

To be continued...

According to the documentation I have (a bill from a local mechanic) the car suffered from a failed water pump so the head was taken off for inspection. This is pretty much where it sat.

First step was to ensure the block and pistons which was left uncovered in the car was able to turn, soaked in all manor of petrochemicals, tapped on the top of the pistons gently with a wooden drift and was about to hand turn it....

I spoke to Jason Hantos who pressed the idea of not dislodging the wet liners. So I made some clamps using some washers and PVC conduit and using the output pulley of the engine - she turns freely! Still need to dress the bores as they have some surface corrosion but this is a big relief.

DS Ownership journey begins-20161230_203007.jpg

I have inspected the head and from someone who is certainly not an expert it looks ok. I guess an expert inspection will reveal all but getting this done at this time of the year is difficult..my best option seems to be head recondition places that open up mid January?

The waterpump appears to have seized bearings. If I can get it apart I guess the bearings could be replaced. A rough wooden dowel stuck into what appears to be a grease nipple thread might be the cause? I will also need a new waterpump or the ability to refurbish the current unit anyone have any options?

some previous owner was a continentalist I notice! Those main beam bulbs are going to have to go in the bin before it is registered again I would have thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Arekisir View Post
    I thought this would be a good opportunity to document life with my new French mistress "Sabine"

I picked the car up on the 27th from Byron Bay and brought her to a new home in Sydney. Being regal on the trailer was necessary due to being in a non running state. She is now tucked up in suburban Sydney.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161228_060155-1[1].jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	92395
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161228_175059.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	92396

I was pretty keen on this car despite being a non runner due to its almost rust free state. It has suffered from bumps and bruises so will need some cosmetic surgery but I figured the bones are good.

To be continued...
    Looks great, congratulations.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    Looks good in the photos, in Europe anyway it's best to get a rust free car and then worry about the mechanical side of things. It looks like you know your way around the engine bay so that's half the battle.
    Good luck with it!

Cheers,
    Ed

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=Arekisir;1494202
    The waterpump appears to have seized bearings. If I can get it apart I guess the bearings could be replaced. A rough wooden dowel stuck into what appears to be a grease nipple thread might be the cause? I will also need a new waterpump or the ability to refurbish the current unit anyone have any options?[/QUOTE]

Hi Arekisir and welcome to the fold.

The bearing in the pump is usually considered non-replaceable as the pulley is spun onto the end of the shaft - not bolted. If it has seized, then the chances are that the ceramic plate inside that acts as a barrier to water has failed, allowing the bearing to get wet. That hole with the wooden dowel is a drain hole (if underneath) or a breather (if on top). If it's threaded it's probably the bottom hole as these were fitted with a nipple for a drain tube. The hole in the top is simply to allow air in so that water can flow from the bottom hole. The idea is that if water starts to get past the ceramic disc barrier, then it can run out of the hole and not cause damage to the bearing. It's probably still a sign to replace the pump though. If someone's plugged the hole, it almost certainly confirms that the hole had been weeping and they didn't know what that meant. Unfortunately by plugging it, it has meant that the bearing stayed sitting in water - accelerating its decline.

Repro replacement pumps are easy to obtain and not too expensive.

Once again, welcome to the weird and wonderful world of D ownership!
    FiveSoFar likes this.

New production Spanish made water pumps are not expensive and they work great.

Do the dance. Do the Daffyduck dance using the Aussiefrogs app. Be real happy if you can.

Thanks for the information guys.

Are the Spanish water pumps suitable for 1971 2ltre engine as per this German website:

https://www.franzose.de/en/Citroen-D...lung/ANR34510/

Is a more local (Australian) source available?

Thks alex

Fellow Frogger!

Best wishes Are.Note that the Workshop Manual states that the engine should never be turned over using the nut on the Camshaft Pulley.Have you got a starting handle?If not use a front wheel.
    Woody

Thanks for the information guys.

Are the Spanish water pumps suitable for 1971 2ltre engine as per this German website:

https://www.franzose.de/en/Citroen-D...lung/ANR34510/

Is a more local (Australian) source available?

Thks alex
    Alex,
    I have a good used pump you are welcome to for cost of postage, send me a PM with your mailing address. . .
    For new DS Motors in Brisbane (07) 3368 1533 or
    Roger Parker in Adelaide Mobile: 0438 809 237

Cheers
    Chris
    Roger Wilkinson likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Alex,
    I have a good used pump you are welcome to for cost of postage, send me a PM with your mailing address. . .
    For new DS Motors in Brisbane (07) 3368 1533 or
    Roger Parker in Adelaide Mobile: 0438 809 237

Cheers
    Chris
    You should throw in a pair of elbow patches if you still have stock..

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    You should throw in a pair of elbow patches if you still have stock..
    Still have stock but saving them for when I get a Fregate - you wouldn't have a spare cardigan would you. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    59 Floride and Vincenzo like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thanks for the note on not turning the motor over from front pulley.
    I do have a workshop manual coming which I will need for reassembly.

I do have a crank handle, and to get the engine running it will be very handy. The hex bar and the sleeve have seperated I assume it was welded solid - does anyone have an overall length dimension?

Chris - thanks for the generous offer pm about to be sent.

Alex

1000+ Posts

To find the Spanish pumps, search for citroen ds bomba de agua

Welcome to D ownership, Alex.

The "output pulley of the engine" is actually on the front of the camshaft. It is driven by the cam chain at the back of the engine, so it is not a good idea to use it to turn the engine over. By turning it in the normal direction of rotation (clockwise while looking at it from the front of the car) you are pulling on the normally slack side of the timing chain, for a start. But you had no compression working against you so I doubt you did any damage.

The best way to turn the engine over by hand is as Woody says, the starting handle. This is made by inserting the wheel nut crank into the straight wheel changing piece to make a crank handle and inserting it into the central hole below the front bumper. It engages a dog that sticks out from the front of the gearbox. The dog has a ratchet connection with the front of the top shaft of the gearbox which it turn connects via the clutch to the engine.

If that does not provide enough oomph then, again as Woody says, put it in gear and turn a front wheel.

The crank handle method does not work with a 5 speed gearbox because the 5th gear assembly takes the place of the drive dog. The wheel turning method does not work with a BVH (hydraulic gearshift) because the engine has to be running to provide the hydraulic pressure to engage a gear. I assume your car is a DSpecial with 4 speed manual transmission so both methods will work.

Roger

Thanks for the note on not turning the motor over from front pulley.
    I do have a workshop manual coming which I will need for reassembly.
    Unless you want an original hardcopy manual, do not pay for any D manuals. Go here and download when you need.

https://sites.google.com/site/citroenpublicationslist/

Many of us contribute to this scanning and hosting effort. Some people are trying to profit from our generosity. 814 and 518 are the repair manuals you need. Also the relevant parts catalogues depending on the year of your car. To save bandwidth costs, please only download what you need once.

I do have a crank handle, and to get the engine running it will be very handy. The hex bar and the sleeve have seperated I assume it was welded solid - does anyone have an overall length dimension
    If by separated you mean the straight bit is not joined to the cranked bit, they are supposed to be like that. You join them one way to make a crank handle and the other way to make a wheel changing tool.

Roger
    GreenBlood likes this.

Attached a photo of the instruments that I found in the car.

I am familiar with scissor type "widowmaker" jacks but this seems on another level.

The immediate concern is the crank handle are the two straight sections suppose to be welded together?

DS Ownership journey begins-20161231_124453.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

yes you are correct, the two straight pieces should be one piece

That is a complete set of wheel changing tools. The length of the straight piece is not critical. Just weld the pieces together with the same overlap you have in the photo. The place where the total length is most critical is when the straight and cranked piece are stored. They are joined together and mounted on the front crossmember under tension from one of the rubber pads.

Roger

1000+ Posts

A very dapper young Italian uses the tools at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B7hF7X-6ms
    Last edited by seasink; 31st December 2016 at 02:48 PM.
    Arekisir likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I think his rear bumper needs realigning.Also he should open the rear door prior to removing the rear guard!
    Woody

Download a copy of your Owner's Handbook from below.

NZ DS Handbooks

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    A very dapper young Italian uses the tools at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B7hF7X-6ms
    I pull a sock over the end of the bumper to stop it scratching the paint

The Italian video is great. I love the international aspect of these cars. Will have to print out some of the documents when back at work.

After charging the battery I switched on the ignition and can confirm the fuel pump works and their is fuel in the tank - the smell of fuel pouring out the open hose...

After pluging the hose and trying again the fuel pump runs consistently is this normal? If not can I disconnect it & where is the pump?

I now have the crank handle installed and wanted to use this to run the pump and raise the car enough to get a jack under it - I was going to connect this to a cordless still - which way do I crank clockwise?

Thanks in advance - amazing community here.

Alex

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information